Typically bad moves...done well | Golden Skate

Typically bad moves...done well

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
OK, a reverse of the BAD MOVE!!! thread--

What move do you think is typically bad, but done well by certain skaters? You can name names/post photos, etc...

I'll start--

I used to think this was used to hide the typically bad layback positions (and there really wasn't much improvement, but)...

20060918105451.jpg

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker

That would be "the pearl." :bow: :agree: :bow:

Joanne Rochette has a nice fan spiral.

Sasha and Shizuka have exquisite Charlottes / candle stick - wish they would both wear unitards once and a while.:agree:

Anything Kurt Browning does suddenly is cool.:agree:

Antilles

Medalist
I agree with Sasha and the fan spiral. She's the only one I've ever seen who does the position well.

dlarry1

Rinkside
Biellmann: Alissa Czisny.

ITA, and I would add both Zhang and Nagasu. Those young bones allow them to slightly shift their hips when the Biellman reaches max extension, and it makes the shape the most beautiful I can remember seeing.

Eeyora

Final Flight
Michelle Kwan and Nicole Bobek can master the change of edge spiral

Michelle can also perform spiral moves where she touches the ice with her hands beautifully.

riverflows

Rinkside
Mirai has beautiful Biellmann positions. In her spins, her head is touching the small of her back. In her back spirals, her upper body is perpendicular to the floor.

Caroline has a wonderful ina bauer-- I haven't seen many good ones as of late, and even Shizuka Arakawa's back arch looks plain uncomfortable-- but not hers: back arched, leg extended, head back-- gorgeous.

Alsace

On the Ice
Caroline has a wonderful ina bauer-- I haven't seen many good ones as of late, and even Shizuka Arakawa's back arch looks plain uncomfortable-- but not hers: back arched, leg extended, head back-- gorgeous.

I agree about Shizuka's ina bauer looking painful. I just didn't understand all the gushing about that!

debdelilah

On the Ice
I agree about Shizuka's ina bauer looking painful. I just didn't understand all the gushing about that!

Shizuka always looks like she has confidence and control going into it, and the way she performs it doesn't look painful, with the expression she has. I associate "painful" more with someone trying to force something that they haven't trained enough to do safely.

blue dog

Record Breaker
Shizuka always looks like she has confidence and control going into it, and the way she performs it doesn't look painful, with the expression she has. I associate "painful" more with someone trying to force something that they haven't trained enough to do safely.

Painful...like this? 2005-11-05-in-skate.jpg

rain

Record Breaker

Ditto. I never got all the fuss about the "gorgeous" Ina Bauer she did. I thought there were lots of skaters who did it a lot better. And yes, Slutskaya had a horrible fan spiral. One of the worst offenders in the "squatting" look.

blue dog

Record Breaker
My favourite throwers, even though the throws aren't as big as Shen and Zhao's are Gordeeva and Grinkov and Sale and Pelletier--the reason why is because the men don't look like they're throwing heavy weights at the end of the throw. They maintain their flow and their line. It doesn't look like awkward--I know most people just focus on the wommon during the throw, but sometimes, the male just looks like he's had a hernia once he finishes throwing the wommon.

So, a smaller throw double or triple that looks good on all sides over a BIG throw that has the male looking awkward.

enlight78

Medalist
My favourite throwers, even though the throws aren't as big as Shen and Zhao's are Gordeeva and Grinkov and Sale and Pelletier--the reason why is because the men don't look like they're throwing heavy weights at the end of the throw. They maintain their flow and their line. It doesn't look like awkward--I know most people just focus on the wommon during the throw, but sometimes, the male just looks like he's had a hernia once he finishes throwing the wommon.

So, a smaller throw double or triple that looks good on all sides over a BIG throw that has the male looking awkward.

ITA. In one competition I could have sworn that both of zhang skates came slightly off the ice during a throw. It scared me so bad.

anya_angie

Final Flight
I think a lot of skaters shown doing the donut have terrible positions today. Plushenko's donut, despite the usual weakness on the spins, was his best spin and I think one of the best donuts executed.