Poor Music Choices | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Poor Music Choices

pohatta

On the Ice
There were several skaters in this year's Europeans who used Apocalyptica's cello versions of Metallica tracks. None of them were that impressive, not even Susanna Pöykiö's SP.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I'm probably in the minority on this one, but most Raul di Blasio tracks are so melodramatic--they sound made for Spanish novelas!

Both Otonal (Weir, Butyrskaya, Sebestyen) and El Dia Que Me Quieras (Yeltsova/Bushkov, Berankova/Dlabola) are beautiful songs, until the snare drum comes in, and often the snare drum volume drowns out the piano--and there's truly no way around it, because this happens in the climax/crescendo of the music.

El Dia Que Me Quieras is especially bad with the built-in thunder and rain sounds that make it sound like two people are "rediscovering their love" for one another in the thundering rain.

sk8addict

On the Ice
Timothy Gabel

That "night on bald mountain" song from Fantasia that Timothy Gabel crashed & burned too. Horrid.

Last edited:

Maribelle

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Ok, I feel bad now that I said I didn't like the Fields of Gold song that Michelle Kwan skated to. I didn't realize it had such meaning behind it and didn't realize that the artist Eva Cassidy is gone. I thought it was a moving song when I first heard it and when Michelle first skated to it, but when I saw her do that same program all the time, I didn't like it so much anymore.

sk8ter1990

Spectator
I can't stand it when I see someone skating to "The Nutcracker" or "Swan Lake" or "Carmen" or any other song that has been skated to a trillion times already. Can't anyone skate to something different for once? I think there was a competition once where 3 different skaters all skated to "Romeo and Juliet". It gets really boring after a while. :sheesh:

blue dog

Record Breaker
Any muzak performance of classical pieces (Olga Markova's 1995 program had a muzak/Yanni version of not just Bolero but Firebird)

_Ladybug_

On the Ice
I have to give credit to Michelle for introducing me to Eva Cassidy. That might be my favourite exibition by Michelle. It really suited her.
But, sorry, I was never her fan.

Apocalyptica is not for everyone and it's definately not for Poykio. She is such a light skater, Apocalyptica is way to "heavy" for her.

I'm a die hard fan of Anissina and Peizerat but their 2002 Free Dance had the worst music of the whole competition. And that includes I will survive (Fusar-Poli and Margaglio).

scorekeeper

On the Ice
How about the Sandhu program where the music was mostly just noises? I don't know what it's called, but I believe he called the program "a work of art". It ended up both looking AND sounding like a train wreck.

Olympic Tick Tock by Gordon Cobb, I think.

And the music that Maria Butyrskaya skated to in 2002 was (if I remember right) 17 Moments in Spring.

suzygirl

Spectator
Thanks for coming "out of hiding" (join and post date):agree: Post more and Welcome!

That is a good point that there is music that often gets associated with something like a commercial even though it was used prior. But the thing is, that is the first thing I thought of regardless. Much like the United commercials a while back. It just went into music that sounded like a commercial whether it should or not, so I didn't like it. But again, I thought the routine was great!

Whoever posted that about MK and Bolero, great point about it seeming to limit her in a way. Never thought about it but that was an excellent point.:agree: Just proves to me how great skaters like her and Fumie really are. IMO

Thank you for your cordial welcome!

blue dog

Record Breaker
Olympic Tick Tock by Gordon Cobb, I think.

And the music that Maria Butyrskaya skated to in 2002 was (if I remember right) 17 Moments in Spring.

17 Moments was the year before (that one was bearable). Tale of Travel (I've come to find out) is sthe 2002 with the horrid dissonance

gio

Medalist
Apocalyptica is not for everyone and it's definately not for Poykio. She is such a light skater, Apocalyptica is way to "heavy" for her.

I like that cello music, but I agree is not for Poykio. Too heavy for her.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Ivan Dinev skated to something in the 01-02 season that sounded like a combination of mariachi music and Greek folk music played by a very low-grade band and then mixed in with a little techno. The program itself was as schizophrenic as the music, and was not helped at all by various sections where he'd just stand there and caper about. I still have NO idea what was going on there.

"March With Me", which Shae-Lynn & Vic used in 00-01, was enough to drive me out of the room.

I also agree with posts re. Maria Butrskaya's long program in SLC; just more than a BIT MUCH, and if you're having a bad technical night, as Maria was, then it just makes the whole effect even worse. Also agree with posters regarding A & P's use of MLK's speech in SLC Free Dance. Made the whole thing totally heavy-handed and it really didn't need to be.