Poor Music Choices | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Poor Music Choices

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Normally I like folk and ethnic music for skating, but Abitbol and Bernadis' Havah Nagilah in 1997 was a bit too much--I don't know what they were trying to do with the program, but the slow section was Schindler's List, and then immediately after, a TECHNO Havah Nagilah!

rain

Record Breaker
Ok, I feel bad now that I said I didn't like the Fields of Gold song that Michelle Kwan skated to. I didn't realize it had such meaning behind it and didn't realize that the artist Eva Cassidy is gone. I thought it was a moving song when I first heard it and when Michelle first skated to it, but when I saw her do that same program all the time, I didn't like it so much anymore.

Don't feel bad. It's a touching story, yes, but I really didn't like that program either and haven't changed my mind. I always thought it was too much of a downer to see Kwan skate to that at exhibitions after she'd just won (usually) a gold medal. And, blasphemy of blasphemies, I hated the gold dress she wore for that piece too.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Don't feel bad. It's a touching story, yes, but I really didn't like that program either and haven't changed my mind. I always thought it was too much of a downer to see Kwan skate to that at exhibitions after she'd just won (usually) a gold medal. And, blasphemy of blasphemies, I hated the gold dress she wore for that piece too.

Y'all are killing me... truly KILLING me... :cry: :no:

blue dog

Record Breaker
Now, that's much better... ;)

I have to admit, it took a while for FOG to grow on me--it didn't grow on me until the 2002 Olympics, when, irony of all ironies, she was performing in a gold dress.

If the exhibition had been .5 of the score, the LP .3, and the SP .2...
If her high triple lutz, triple toe, and double axel in the exhibition had counted...
If those emotions had been part of the scoring...
If only...

back to bad music =P

in 1997, Vanessa Gusmeroli had bad circus music, with built-in applause. I don't mind circus music, even if it's bad... but BUILT IN applause/laughter?! It was kind of sad because she'd miss jumps (the triple flip was her nemesis) and the applause would be loud...because of the built in applause. Or, she missed/singled a jump, and it was during the built-in crowd laughter.

the worst are probably the unknown pieces in 1999 that Laetitia used and dubbed her LP theme: Prostitute on Acid. :rofl:

anya_angie

Final Flight
I cringe when I hear Michael Jackson's music on ice... I don't mind the man's music but he is too much of a wackjob for me to enjoy it anymore lol.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
And the music that Maria Butyrskaya skated to in 2002 was (if I remember right) 17 Moments in Spring.

Actually, "17 Moments in Spring" was the music Maria used during the two seasons PRIOR to SLC. (That, IMO, was fabulous music for her, and is actually one of my favorite programs). Whatever she skated to during the 01-02 season and at SLC, was something entirely different.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I take issue with skaters using old warhorse music or skater specific music and not really "making it their own" ala Carmen and Michelle: Bolero

discoduck

On the Ice
Michelle Kwan: Bolero. I never thought it worked for her.
Babs and Maurizio: I Will Survive. I love disco but that version sounded like an Irish beer drinking song.
Shae and Vic: March With Me..that program still makes me cringe and I love them!

blue dog

Record Breaker
Babs and Maurizio: I Will Survive. I love disco but that version sounded like an Irish beer drinking song.
Shae and Vic: March With Me..that program still makes me cringe and I love them!

Both those songs sounded like some people got drunk together--except showing the two extremes of drinking. The first, a happy group of drunks during karaoke.

The other, some sad drunks screaming out loud.

I thought Tick Tock was great. The choreography, too.

I just wish Eman had been able to perform it better.

4dogknight

Final Flight
Originally posted by Johnny Coop
Actually, "17 Moments in Spring" was the music Maria used during the two seasons PRIOR to SLC. (That, IMO, was fabulous music for her, and is actually one of my favorite programs). Whatever she skated to during the 01-02 season and at SLC, was something entirely different.

For the 2000-2001 season Maria skated to:
Scene D'Amour from the Bilitis Soundtrack (Sung by Sarah Brightman on the Eden CD) - Short
Seventeen Moments of Spring Movie Soundtrack - Long

For the 2001-2002 (Olympic season):
Tune of the White Nights Soundtrack (Isaak Schwartz) – Short
Tale of Travel (Alfred Schnittke) – Long

Source - http://www.skatemusiclist.com/

4dk

blue dog

Record Breaker
UGH I Forgot about her short program in 2002! She does a lovely program until the very end, when she raises her skirt! It's like, the whole program, she plays a nun, who at the very end, becomes a prostitute.

rjulie510

Rinkside
For those of you who have forgotten the horror or Denkova/Stavisky's 04-05 FD Back to Africa, here is the full horror:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdqihpH2QXU

Great skaters with truly awful music, awful choreography and awful costumes to make one disgusting program. I'm sorry if this link brought up the memory you tried to forget.