Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Was Emily Hughes robbed of the Gold at US Nationals?

Custom Title

Was Emily Hughes robbed of the Gold at US Nationals?

This seems to be the burning question. What are your thought?

Custom Title
    No. If anything, she was overscored, just to make it close.

No, but I felt Alissa was!

Custom Title
    No. I thought she should have finished behind both Meissner and Czisny.

Banned

No.

No,she was way overmarked. She was sloppy, laboured. 5 triples with a big splat won't give her a score close to 115 points at international stage. Alissa and Kimmie definitely should be ahead of her.

I thought it was scored correctly. The LP order was Alissa, Emily, Kimmie. But Kimmie's short program lead held up.

Custom Title
    No, she should have been 3rd or 4th. She is a very hard worker, but she just is not the skater Alissa, Kimmie or Bebe is. She should consider herself lucky to have silver.

Custom Title
    No Considering both phases of the competition, I thought the order of finish was fine. Kimmie didn't run away with it. It was close. The scores reflected that.

I think the placements were about right overall considering the SP. I do think the margin between Kimmie and Emily was too narrow.

Custom Title
    Luck happens in the Hughes skating family.

Down With It
    I don't think she was "robbed" in the traditional sense.

However, I feel the opposite of what some posters here do...I feel Kimmie was overmarked on that short program and should have been closer to Emily/Bebe. Now, we can't necessarily assume that the freeskate would have gone the same way had the scores been closer (I made a mistake in assuming that earlier). But what's done is done. Emily had the chance to make up for the gap but slipped, and Alyssa popped one in the short, so even with Kimmie's "just hanging in there" freeskate, their efforts weren't enough to hold her off for the win. But they did gain a lot of ground on her. It's like two sprinters catching up to the leader only to have the finish line approach as they are about to overtake him. Nice effort, but not enough.

No. I was there. Emily is a very heavy determined skater, imo, and lacks the finesse of Ladies figure skating. She seems to want to show the judges that she can do all these tricks but not show them how to do them gracefully.

To me, Emily is total opposite of Kimmie in style and charisma. They don't skate like Bebe's joy in skating or Alissa's feminine body language in skating.

JMO but I think most people would agree with me. Tricks? probably Kimmie and maybe Emily if both stand up.

Joe

Banned
    No. I think the overall placements were fair.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    She seems to want to show the judges that she can do all these tricks but not show them how to do them gracefully.
    Her charlotte spiral into the sit spin in the short program was more graceful than anything Kimmie has done in her entire skating career.

I do think Emily should have won. Kimmie's 3/3's were drastically underrotated and she didn't attempt the Triple Axle. Without those big elements, she has nothing to stand on. Emily had higher jumps and more energy.

Alissa could have won and I wish she would have. Unfortunately, as always, she always has those mistakes on the jumps. The pop on the Lutz in the short program hurt.

~Z

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    ~Zuranthium, you have a new name?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast