Was Emily Hughes robbed of the Gold at US Nationals? | Golden Skate

Was Emily Hughes robbed of the Gold at US Nationals?

rain

Record Breaker
No. I thought she should have finished behind both Meissner and Czisny.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
No.

No,she was way overmarked. She was sloppy, laboured. 5 triples with a big splat won't give her a score close to 115 points at international stage. Alissa and Kimmie definitely should be ahead of her.

I thought it was scored correctly. The LP order was Alissa, Emily, Kimmie. But Kimmie's short program lead held up.

flying camel

Medalist
No, she should have been 3rd or 4th. She is a very hard worker, but she just is not the skater Alissa, Kimmie or Bebe is. She should consider herself lucky to have silver.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
No Considering both phases of the competition, I thought the order of finish was fine. Kimmie didn't run away with it. It was close. The scores reflected that.

heyang

Record Breaker
I think the placements were about right overall considering the SP. I do think the margin between Kimmie and Emily was too narrow.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't think she was "robbed" in the traditional sense.

However, I feel the opposite of what some posters here do...I feel Kimmie was overmarked on that short program and should have been closer to Emily/Bebe. Now, we can't necessarily assume that the freeskate would have gone the same way had the scores been closer (I made a mistake in assuming that earlier). But what's done is done. Emily had the chance to make up for the gap but slipped, and Alyssa popped one in the short, so even with Kimmie's "just hanging in there" freeskate, their efforts weren't enough to hold her off for the win. But they did gain a lot of ground on her. It's like two sprinters catching up to the leader only to have the finish line approach as they are about to overtake him. Nice effort, but not enough.

No. I was there. Emily is a very heavy determined skater, imo, and lacks the finesse of Ladies figure skating. She seems to want to show the judges that she can do all these tricks but not show them how to do them gracefully.

To me, Emily is total opposite of Kimmie in style and charisma. They don't skate like Bebe's joy in skating or Alissa's feminine body language in skating.

JMO but I think most people would agree with me. Tricks? probably Kimmie and maybe Emily if both stand up.

Joe

Everskate

Match Penalty
She seems to want to show the judges that she can do all these tricks but not show them how to do them gracefully.

Her charlotte spiral into the sit spin in the short program was more graceful than anything Kimmie has done in her entire skating career.

I do think Emily should have won. Kimmie's 3/3's were drastically underrotated and she didn't attempt the Triple Axle. Without those big elements, she has nothing to stand on. Emily had higher jumps and more energy.

Alissa could have won and I wish she would have. Unfortunately, as always, she always has those mistakes on the jumps. The pop on the Lutz in the short program hurt.

~Z

tae04

On the Ice
Yes Kimmie was nothing exceptional. I would have had her behind Emily and Bebe in the short. 3/3 was clearly underrotated. I think Kimmie had some of the best presentation, but otherwise she wasnt head and shoulders ahead in anything else.

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
No. I agree with those who say that Emily was overscored. I would say she deserves 2nd place because Alyssa had more ground to make up, but the total scores should have had Emily closer to Alyssa than to Kimmie.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Her charlotte spiral into the sit spin in the short program was more graceful than anything Kimmie has done in her entire skating career.

I do think Emily should have won. Kimmie's 3/3's were drastically underrotated and she didn't attempt the Triple Axle. Without those big elements, she has nothing to stand on. Emily had higher jumps and more energy.

~Z

I think Emily's charlotte is distinctly ungraceful and clunky, as is her entire spiral sequence. She dips so low from the waist that her hand is almost touching the ice, and she almost looks like a plane taking off.

Emily USUALLY has more energy, but she didn't at Nationals. She was uncharacteristically show. I thought her FS should have been placed third, behind Kimmie's.

eliza88

On the Ice
No. Or should I say NO WAY was Emily robbed! I thought she was gifted the silver! Emily has power and she often has energy...IMO she lacks finesse, style, and elegance. I was stunned by her scores...they seemed sky high and for what? Her program seemed to drag on...and on near the end...let's not forget the fall either!

Kimmie's 3-3 certainly wasn't her best, but I feel she did enough in both phases of the competition to earn her gold. Alissa was superb and I thought the silver should have been hers...

eliza88