Was Emily Hughes robbed of the Gold at US Nationals? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Was Emily Hughes robbed of the Gold at US Nationals?

scorekeeper

On the Ice
No. I was there. Emily is a very heavy determined skater, imo, and lacks the finesse of Ladies figure skating. She seems to want to show the judges that she can do all these tricks but not show them how to do them gracefully.

I'm with Joe. I don't mean this as a bash, but Emily is a jock-chick and she skates likes one. Her style reminds me of Tonya Harding, who didn't have much grace, finesse, or artistry, either.

Go jock-chicks!

If men's skating can have both macho studs and arteests, why can't the ladies' side accommodate athletic types along with the ice princesses?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Go jock-chicks!

If men's skating can have both macho studs and arteests, why can't the ladies' side accommodate athletic types along with the ice princesses?

AMEN!

And I see some artistry in both Emily and Tonya. Maybe not finesse, but art that they feel might be different then others - but a Rembrandt and Picasso are different too.

It is a relative definition - art

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I try not to get into the wuz robbed arguements because they always come down to who you like best... but I'm blowing a deadline anyway, so I thought I'd throw in my two cents...

However, before I do that, I must acknowledge Soogar for putting me firmly on the Emily Hughes bandwagon last year... Ta Da is definately the most interesting of the US ladies...

As for Nationals...

Yes, Emily was robbed... but only by herself. She knew she'd win with a clean program and she didn't deliver ~ no blood, no foul... There is always next year. She reminds me more of Irina than Tonya though... more power and good edges vs. sheer jumps - even though Tonya's Ina Bauer was a thing of beauty...

As for those who dismiss her because of her jock-chick build, I say: shame on you!! Emily is a healthy, athletic young woman who is tremendously talented. So what if she doesn't look like a sterotypical ice princess... those ice princesses didn't truly deliver during Nationals and probably won't at Worlds... I love Emily's fierce competitive spirit and powerful skating. Once she gets that consistency down, she'll be awesome.

As for her lack of "grace" - so what? Her skating is all heart & passion and that makes up for a lot... Plus, she's going to Harvard and my son thinks she's the hottest thing on skates... so I must defind what he calls his skater girl ;)

rain

Record Breaker
I don't think Hughes wuz robbed at U.S. Nationals, as I have already stated. However, I don't think she's a bad skater, or particularly deficient in style. In fact, I thought she looked significantly more graceful than Slutskaya ever did, but has a powerful style in that vein.

scorekeeper

On the Ice
As for those who dismiss her because of her jock-chick build, I say: shame on you!!

My comment had nothing to do with her build. It was about her style, which to me is athletic and powerful but not particularly graceful. Nor did I mean to imply that all female skaters should be ballerinas on ice. Personally, I like the women who can combine grace and athleticism.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To me, the biggest complaint I have about Emily is her insistence on choosing ballet music for her free skates. Emily is no ballerina, either in appearance or in style. She is far more athletic than graceful, yet she chooses music that contrasts awkwardly with her style of skating.

I wish she would use music that suits her. Then there wouldn't be the jarring disconnect between the music and Emily the skater.

I personally don't prefer athletic skaters to artistic ones. But I do prefer skaters like Slutskaya who choose music that suits them (excluding :"Don Quixote" and "Tosca" in Irina's case) and complements their athletic style than skaters like Emily who try vainly to be what they are not.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
To me, the biggest complaint I have about Emily is her insistence on choosing ballet music for her free skates. Emily is no ballerina, either in appearance or in style. She is far more athletic than graceful, yet she chooses music that contrasts awkwardly with her style of skating.

I wish she would use music that suits her. Then there wouldn't be the jarring disconnect between the music and Emily the skater.

I personally don't prefer athletic skaters to artistic ones. But I do prefer skaters like Slutskaya who choose music that suits them (excluding :"Don Quixote" and "Tosca" in Irina's case) and complements their athletic style than skaters like Emily who try vainly to be what they are not.
You should be (if you are not already) a coach or choreographer. That is so correct with good examples.

Just so true:bow: You see it a lot too. It is as though they just pick songs they like or fit the "timing" of the element placement and put no real thought into it after that. Then it is up to the skater to sell ?

JMO. I like Jazz and RnB in routines and think these could fit Emily better. JMO

So correct Chuckm:bow: ah, no surprise there though.;)

R.D.

Record Breaker
As for those who dismiss her because of her jock-chick build, I say: shame on you!! Emily is a healthy, athletic young woman who is tremendously talented. So what if she doesn't look like a sterotypical ice princess... those ice princesses didn't truly deliver during Nationals and probably won't at Worlds...

:rock: :agree:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

exactly. Her short program is a success because the powerful strong musioc plays up her strengths.

AMEN!

And I see some artistry in both Emily and Tonya. Maybe not finesse, but art that they feel might be different then others - but a Rembrandt and Picasso are different too.

It is a relative definition - art
I believe your operative word is some artistry, but hey whatever gets to you is fine. I'tll take great positions that only a lady can make.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
I wouldn't call what Emily has "artistry" but rather "exuberance" and "joy of skating". She somehow reminds me a lot of Slutskaya (they have the same body type and similar style of skating, I feel...more "athletic" rather than "graceful". This upsets the fans who prefer grace so they aren't likely to immediately take to a skater like Emily. That said, I think she has lost some of that "excitement" on the ice and is trying to turn to a "slower" song (at least for the freeskate). Not too sure if benefits her 100%, but if she skates it to the best of her ability she shouldn't be counted out for a strong worlds finish, IMO.

RD - It doesn't upset people who look at skating esthetically. It is a sport and everyone should be in agreement on who should win. As for 'athletic', all skaters are athletes. That is why they only think about the esthetics of skating which few have. Carol Heiss invented the athletic style approach and won the Olys. No one denies that. Emily is doing fine.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
It doesn't upset people who look at skating esthetically. It is a sport and everyone should be in agreement on who should win.

I agree, and it really shouldn't. But judging by comments on skating forums and chat rooms, that's clearly not the case for Figure Skating. The fact is that it's still judged and in close calls there still seems to be some doubt as to who "should have won". Not everyone agrees completely that Kimmie deserved her US title (hence this thread :laugh: ). But then again, there are controversial "ref" calls in just about any sport, so I guess from that perspective the "extra points" given to Kimmie wasn't all that bad. I suppose she won, we can't change it and we should just all get over it.

kyla2

Final Flight
Emily

The placements were right, sadly. Kimmie is a much better overall skater than Emily. But after Kimmie skated, I will admit that I was rooting for Emily to step up to the plate. In the end, it will have to be enough that Alissa skated so beautifully, even if not perfectly.

R.D.

Record Breaker
A little off topic but does anyone else sense just the slightest bit of "snob" (call it "attitude" if you want) when Emily talks? I dunno...I noticed it a little during that fluff piece on her (and also when she was interviewed by Carruthers).

I sensed this "phenomenon" a LOT when Katy Taylor was interviewed after the short. Her demeanor totally rubs me the wrong way, but just an observation. Kimmie, OTOH just seems like your typical bubbly teenager.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
I felt she was robbed. Kimmie did not have a good free skate at all, and hadn't Emily got that mandatory 1-point deduction. I thought Emily was going to have a good clean free skate as I was on the edge of my seat. She would have clearly won. But I probably feel for Alissa Czisny a little more considering she had won of the best free skates in her career.

Good luck to all at Four Continents and Worlds in Tokyo

A little off topic but does anyone else sense just the slightest bit of "snob" (call it "attitude" if you want) when Emily talks? I dunno...I noticed it a little during that fluff piece on her (and also when she was interviewed by Carruthers).
I sensed this "phenomenon" a LOT when Katy Taylor was interviewed after the short. Her demeanor totally rubs me the wrong way, but just an observation. Kimmie, OTOH just seems like your typical bubbly teenager.
They both seem totally likeable to me. I didn't see the particular fluffs you are talking about, but I saw interviews with both just before the Ladies competition. Give them the benefit of the doubt. You don't know them.

R.D.

Record Breaker
of course we don't know them, but that doesn't mean that they can't project a "persona" (i.e. vibe or aura) when "out and about" in public.

Emily is overall likeable (she smiles a lot, etc.), but I felt that likeability factor just inch down a tiny bit in my eyes. I certainly feel she's more likeable than a few select skaters, though (shall not be named ;) )

I've also heard of reports (can't confirm though) that she was indeed exhibiting "diva-like" behavior during practices. But then it doesn't really matter.