Would you send Alissa to 4CC's? (Should she go?) | Golden Skate

Would you send Alissa to 4CC's? (Should she go?)

R.D.

Record Breaker
If you were her coach, or whomever, would you advise her to go? Or would you want her to practice and come into worlds well-prepared?

She seems to have one good competition, and then a couple of weeks later really melts down at another. I think the break between COR and Nationals did work in her favor and had a lot to do with her performance. If she goes to 4CC's and does well again, I don't think that bodes well for her at worlds. If she does go to 4CC and does NOT do well, that would be a question mark. Would it hurt her confidence, or, as some posters speculate, "get the bad one out of the way so therefore her next one must be good"?

Who knows. And when will we know who's going for sure?

orchid

On the Ice
If you were her coach, or whomever, would you advise her to go? Or would you want her to practice and come into worlds well-prepared?

She seems to have one good competition, and then a couple of weeks later really melts down at another. I think the break between COR and Nationals did work in her favor and had a lot to do with her performance. If she goes to 4CC's and does well again, I don't think that bodes well for her at worlds. If she does go to 4CC and does NOT do well, that would be a question mark. Would it hurt her confidence, or, as some posters speculate, "get the bad one out of the way so therefore her next one must be good"?

Who knows. And when will we know who's going for sure?

Let her go to Worlds. She has spent time, a lot of time, trying to steady herself in competition. Remember her face at Nats ? Barely a glimpse of dissapointment in the short, although surely she was. 2 days later, she was steady and calm and one of the most beautiful skaters I have ever seen.

I will not be negative and forecast flops, I want to see this young lady skate with the best.

Did anyone ever, ever consider leaving Cohen on the airport runway because of her history of spills? Nope.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
If I were her coach, I absolutely would send her. After a dismal GP experience this year, maybe she can keep the momentum from Nationals going into 4CC and Worlds. The extra exposure and feedback from the judges can't hurt. And if she doesn't do well at 4CC, its another learning experience. And, I don't think any of our other ladies would do any better than Alissa, why not send her?

flying camel

Medalist
I think the only way to kill competition demons is to compete, compete, compete.

That is exactly what I keep saying. Also her programs are ready. She doesn't need to do any twicking, and since it is in US this year I say go. I feel Kimmie should contine working her programs. She just does not look ready. I also would like to see Kahle or Bebe get some experience.

I think she should go to any venue where she can skate in front of people and certainly judges. She needs to learn how to use nervous energy in her favour. Kwan was a master at that. She used the nerves to skate clean.

However, Alyssa may have school problems. I dunno.

Joe

Jhar55

Medalist
Yes, she should go it will give her another comp before worlds to help keep up the pace.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yes... better she deal with the competition jitters at 4ccs than let it just continue to build till worlds

R.D.

Record Breaker
I dunno. I don't know if it's a "nerves" issue or a "technique" issue. She HAS landed the jumps (whether on one or two feet) in more than one competition, but in others she completely struggles. So erratic that I can't tell what problem she has. Maybe she should simply focus on "entertaining the audience" rather than "competing" (paid off in spades for her last week). But I'm not sure someone competing at that level can think that way for long. Once you know you can get the gold you automatically want it. Once she builds more confidence I think she's going to want a shot at that gold medal.

That said, it depends on her school schedule. If she has more work to do I say skip 4cc's and head straight to worlds. But I don't necessarily think the extra competiton would be a bad thing. It's a tough call with this girl. We'll see.

I absolutely think she should go to Four Continents and to every other competition she can squeeze in. She doesn't need more practice. She hits everything in practice already. What she doesn't have is that champion's knack for harnessing that nervousness and adreniline and make it work for her instead of against her.

Alissa has already worked with a sports psychologist (motivational coach), and I think the best way to address this problem is compete, compete, compete.

soogar

Record Breaker
Alissa should go because she needs the money. Not every skater is a millionaire (or has millionaire parents) and can afford to skip events. Plus the competition would be good for her and a title could help her confidence (or at least a good performance).

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
yes, think she should go. Alissa dosen't have much to worl on in practice, so there is no "go home and train!" Her problems arise in competion with her nerves. The more practice she get competing internatioanly the better.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Alissa should go because she needs the money. Not every skater is a millionaire (or has millionaire parents) and can afford to skip events. Plus the competition would be good for her and a title could help her confidence (or at least a good performance).

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

So true and so practical... plus that poor girl needs all the competitive practice she can get... staying home to contemplate those jumps aren't gonna do her a bit of good...

sk8addict

On the Ice
If I were her coach, I absolutely would send her. After a dismal GP experience this year, maybe she can keep the momentum from Nationals going into 4CC and Worlds. The extra exposure and feedback from the judges can't hurt. And if she doesn't do well at 4CC, its another learning experience. And, I don't think any of our other ladies would do any better than Alissa, why not send her?

I agree with you. I think what she needs practice at is competing. The more hte better.

R.D.

Record Breaker
You know, I'm really not sure I can buy into all the "compete, compete, compete" mentality. I mean, if that were the case you'd expect veterans (like MK, IS, etc.) to crank out stunner after stunner. But that of course doesn't happen. Cohen competed in the GP series for several years and that didn't fix her "mistake" problem. And Alyssa herself has done her fair share of competitions. Some skaters are just the way they are.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
true, but it doesn't help them if they sit down and not go out again...

what's the point of competing if after you win one you give up?

R.D.

Record Breaker
But Alyssa has been very on/off on jumps. I wonder if it might be a technique issue; she might be able to land most of them in a non-pressure situation but pack on the heat (or fatigue) and down she goes.

I think she took the right approach at nationals, though. If she goes to 4cc will she use the same mentality, and more importantly, WILL IT WORK for her again? Like I mentioned before, once you start placing high you sort of like that feeling. I don't see Alyssa staying in competitive skating if she doesn't wish to compete. I'd ask her, why go through all this trouble if you don't care about winning? She should do show skating instead- it's all about the audience there. :yes:

IMHO the only way to learn how to compete is to compete.

MK and IS did crank out stunner after stunner. Were you watching Irina in the 2004-2005 season?