Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Moves you miss...

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar

Moves you miss...

Title is self-explanatory. What moves that cannot be done, it seems, under the COP, either it doesn't hold value, or skaters just plain don't have time to complete the move that you think is...something you miss?

1. Classic camel - this move when done correctly can be as difficult as any of those contortionist moves, and adds beauty to any program.

2. Serpentine footwork - I think this one is no longer done because skaters don't have time--unless I am missing a program that is using it, I haven't seen it done since the inception of COP...(even dance seems to be using more circular and straight line)

3. A Spread eagle or Ena Bauer by itself - now these moves are classified as difficult jump entrances. I think in the right place in the music, these moves can be much more powerful than any quad jump

Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    2. Serpentine footwork - I think this one is no longer done because skaters don't have time--unless I am missing a program that is using it, I haven't seen it done since the inception of COP...(even dance seems to be using more circular and straight line)

It is soooo nice to whach, I couldn't agree more. Although I see it every once and a while I would LOVE to see it more.

Mirroring, in dance or pairs, That is one of the nicest things to see in couples events IMO. Serpentine or straightline.

Thank goodness this thread is coming up. With all of the dislikes on the other thread I wonder if some even like Figure Skating, let alone have some seemingly unhealthy attitude toward the human body.
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 01-30-2007 at 11:34 AM.

1. Classic camel - this move when done correctly can be as difficult as any of those contortionist moves, and adds beauty to any program.
    Blue Dog I have to agree with you on this one. The quality of the camel spins at nationals (at least the ones I saw on TV) were very poor. Everyone has to get in so many changes that no longer are the skaters holding the camel spins for more then 3 revolutions.

Sean I miss the mirroring, too! It further highlighted, I think, the fact that two were working together, rather than just putting out tricks!

Another move I miss is any type of footwork that actually FITS the music! Nowadays skaters are using fast footwork in slow sections!

Here's an example (although I love her and the program) of a skater who is using fast footwork during the slow section:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bohr5DtZkfg

Here is an example of one, that, even though she's slow in the footwork section, she's letting the music control the program:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-0WKzmQMH8

Tripping on the Podium
    Sasha's Split Leap in the air...
    I miss when Sasha stopped doing her split in the air because it didn't get her any points. That was the most amazing split ever, and no one else can touch her on that one. I think she still does it in her exhibitions.

Shoe Diva
    The fast, blurry spin at the end of a program... the ultimate skating move... I know - some still throw it in - but its definately one thing that CoP has ruined...

Also, Michelle's full rink, change of edge spiral... LOVE that...

Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife View Post
    The fast, blurry spin at the end of a program... the ultimate skating move... I know - some still throw it in - but its definately one thing that CoP has ruined...
    as in Fumie, particularly the end of the 05 LP? Great finish pose at the end of that too. Like an exsplosition. Your right, it is not there as often as it used to be
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 01-30-2007 at 06:10 PM.

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaniBu View Post
    as in Fumie, particularly the end of the 05 LP? Great finish pose at the end of that too. Like and exsplosition. Your right, it is not there as often as it used to be
    Absolutely!!! I LOVE that move... its so "look at how fabulous a skater I am!" and the CoP has rendered it meaningless or rather pointless (teeheehee)

Rinkside
    I miss the pair's camel spin, I haven't seen that one in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepless View Post
    I miss the pair's camel spin, I haven't seen that one in a while.
    Oooh! Yes! Either side by side or in tango hold! Nowadays even guys in pairs are doing modified Biellmann spins! I miss classic spins that people weren't able to complete in the first place--now they're doing spins with even poorer positions than before

Brian Joubert' wife (I wish...) _Ladybug_'s Avatar
    Classic death spirals.

Custom Title
    What about

-Charlotte
    -Illusion Spin
    -Layback ala Nikodinov
    -Spin with both hands back as Butyrskaya did
    -Jump sequences with more small jumps (double loop, half loop, double flip...)
    -double/triple combos
    -Delayed Axels
    -Tuck Axels
    -Big Waltz jump
    -Split Flip

and many many more moves that COP ruined. COP!!!

delayed axels
    tuck axels
    pairs pull-through axel (don't know if that's the right term)
    splits
    stag jump
    simple, well-done laybacks
    some of the cool hydroblading that people started doing, but promptly quit when COP was adopted
    blurry scratch spin

Sasha did a gorgeous serpentine step in the Trophee Lalique version of her Swan Lake progam. That version of SL remains my favorite of Sasha's programs, mostly because of that footwork.

What's a tuck axel?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast