Moves you miss... | Golden Skate

Moves you miss...

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Title is self-explanatory. What moves that cannot be done, it seems, under the COP, either it doesn't hold value, or skaters just plain don't have time to complete the move that you think is...something you miss?

1. Classic camel - this move when done correctly can be as difficult as any of those contortionist moves, and adds beauty to any program.

2. Serpentine footwork - I think this one is no longer done because skaters don't have time--unless I am missing a program that is using it, I haven't seen it done since the inception of COP...(even dance seems to be using more circular and straight line)

3. A Spread eagle or Ena Bauer by itself - now these moves are classified as difficult jump entrances. I think in the right place in the music, these moves can be much more powerful than any quad jump

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
2. Serpentine footwork - I think this one is no longer done because skaters don't have time--unless I am missing a program that is using it, I haven't seen it done since the inception of COP...(even dance seems to be using more circular and straight line)
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:
It is soooo nice to whach, I couldn't agree more. Although I see it every once and a while I would LOVE to see it more.

Mirroring, in dance or pairs, That is one of the nicest things to see in couples events IMO. Serpentine or straightline.

Thank goodness this thread is coming up. With all of the dislikes on the other thread I wonder if some even like Figure Skating, let alone have some seemingly unhealthy attitude toward the human body.

Last edited:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
1. Classic camel - this move when done correctly can be as difficult as any of those contortionist moves, and adds beauty to any program.
Blue Dog I have to agree with you on this one. The quality of the camel spins at nationals (at least the ones I saw on TV) were very poor. Everyone has to get in so many changes that no longer are the skaters holding the camel spins for more then 3 revolutions.

blue dog

Record Breaker
Sean I miss the mirroring, too! It further highlighted, I think, the fact that two were working together, rather than just putting out tricks!

Another move I miss is any type of footwork that actually FITS the music! Nowadays skaters are using fast footwork in slow sections!

Here's an example (although I love her and the program) of a skater who is using fast footwork during the slow section:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bohr5DtZkfg

Here is an example of one, that, even though she's slow in the footwork section, she's letting the music control the program:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-0WKzmQMH8

Maribelle

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Sasha's Split Leap in the air...
I miss when Sasha stopped doing her split in the air because it didn't get her any points. That was the most amazing split ever, and no one else can touch her on that one. I think she still does it in her exhibitions.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
The fast, blurry spin at the end of a program... the ultimate skating move... I know - some still throw it in - but its definately one thing that CoP has ruined...

Also, Michelle's full rink, change of edge spiral... LOVE that...

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
The fast, blurry spin at the end of a program... the ultimate skating move... I know - some still throw it in - but its definately one thing that CoP has ruined...

as in Fumie, particularly the end of the 05 LP? Great finish pose at the end of that too. Like an exsplosition. Your right, it is not there as often as it used to be:frown:

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
as in Fumie, particularly the end of the 05 LP? Great finish pose at the end of that too. Like and exsplosition. Your right, it is not there as often as it used to be:frown:

Absolutely!!! I LOVE that move... its so "look at how fabulous a skater I am!" and the CoP has rendered it meaningless or rather pointless (teeheehee)

blue dog

Record Breaker
I miss the pair's camel spin, I haven't seen that one in a while.

Oooh! Yes! Either side by side or in tango hold! Nowadays even guys in pairs are doing modified Biellmann spins! I miss classic spins that people weren't able to complete in the first place--now they're doing spins with even poorer positions than before :cry: :cry: :cry:

gio

Medalist
What about

-Charlotte
-Illusion Spin
-Layback ala Nikodinov
-Spin with both hands back as Butyrskaya did
-Jump sequences with more small jumps (double loop, half loop, double flip...)
-double/triple combos
-Delayed Axels
-Tuck Axels
-Big Waltz jump
-Split Flip

and many many more moves that COP ruined. :disagree: COP!!!

dutchherder

Final Flight
delayed axels
tuck axels
pairs pull-through axel (don't know if that's the right term)
splits
stag jump
simple, well-done laybacks
some of the cool hydroblading that people started doing, but promptly quit when COP was adopted
blurry scratch spin

BravesSkateFan

Medalist

Sasha did a gorgeous serpentine step in the Trophee Lalique version of her Swan Lake progam. That version of SL remains my favorite of Sasha's programs, mostly because of that footwork.

76olympics

On the Ice
Arabians- see Carruthers or Tai and Randy
Simple Scratch Spin a la Paul Wylie
Classic Laybacks-no Beillmann positions a la A Nickodinov or Dorothy Hamill
BIG Russian Split Jumps

I could cheerfully dispense with the quad for well done triple axels

Jhar, here is a definition of the tuck axel from Wikipedia:

A tuck axel has the same take-off and landing as a regular axel, but the skater pulls the legs up into a tuck or sit spin position in the air

John Misha Petkevitch did an outstanding one at 1971 Nationals--very cool looking!

BTW, I like Jozef Sabovcik's single axel; it is high and HUGE.

Last edited:

blue dog

Record Breaker
I forgot to say--feel free to repeat moves that have already been listed. That way, it's sort of like a vote, and if some skater reads this--(not that they would include that said move, since it's probably been devalued), maybe they'll be inspired to try to include a "classic" move (maybe not)...

That being said--I miss innovative ending poses. They all seem to end one way nowadays, standing on center ice, with the hands above the head (with the exception of Jeffrey Buttle's Samson et Dalilah), or some variation thereof. Then, there's the other ending, where their back is facing the judges, and their hands are at their side, fists clenched, and it seems like someone is twisting their elbows (Michelle Kwan's Tosca and Maria B's Tale of Travel), or the facing the side of the rink, with one hand pointing behind them..

Are there only three ways to end a program now?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
That being said--I miss innovative ending poses. They all seem to end one way nowadays, standing on center ice, with the hands above the head (with the exception of Jeffrey Buttle's Samson et Dalilah), or some variation thereof. Then, there's the other ending, where their back is facing the judges, and their hands are at their side, fists clenched, and it seems like someone is twisting their elbows (Michelle Kwan's Tosca and Maria B's Tale of Travel), or the facing the side of the rink, with one hand pointing behind them..

Are there only three ways to end a program now?

I have been thinking about that lately. I must say I kind of like Kimmie's hands above her head ending. Looks a little Egyptian to me, but I like it. Fumies "blur spin" and then the arms drop and the back arches as her head falls back...oh golly that is so wow!:love: Main thing I wonder is in Holding the end pose. Some hold it so well, and other times it just gets held for a second - if at all - and falls out, does that count in points in anyway?

gio

Medalist
-one foot axels
-one foot axels before a salchow or flip
-half loop combinations (the ISU calls them sequences), that are becoming rare now, because of the 0.8 penality.
-russian split jumps

COP consequences are that some moves are in danger of becoming extinguished, other are way overused.

scorekeeper

On the Ice
Illusion spins - not just a single rotation, but the way Nicole Bobek used to do them.
Camel spin in one direction, change of foot and camel spin in the opposite direction.

Last edited: