Surya's comeback!! | Golden Skate

Surya's comeback!!

russell30

Final Flight
I think this might be a rumour and not very justified but a member of the French Federation wants Surya Bonaly to make a comeback, to put French ladies figure skating back on track, but will Surya comeback?? I thought she would have to take a year of the pro-scene first and she is 34 now. Why dont they ask Vanessa Gusmeroli, Anyway Surya is doing a fine job in the pro world, but it would make the amateur scene interesting if she returns. Well Midori Ito came back in 96, and Elaine Zayak, Katarina Witt in 94.

russell30

Final Flight
Sorry I must add If Surya comes back and Irina, wow it would make Europeans interesting, the 7times winner against the six, Go Surya!!

layman

On the Ice
Could you provide some link or source for this.

Are you saying that she will re-instate in the ISU? Could you clarify? It would be wonderful if true.

Surya is French Ladies' Skating...the only (five time) European Champion that France has ever produced. Surya won the French National title nine times.

I saw her skate this past summer in Champion's on ice and she's in fabulous shape and appears to have all the triples. She still skates with tremendous speed, excitement and authority.

I think that she would easily win the French Nationals if she re-instates and would have given Carolina Kostner a run for her money at the recent Europeans.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Although I think it would be cool, I have to wonder with the others on this. When I was asking about her backflip, some were saying how she used to come out of it with a triple toe and now she can't, I didn't see it at COI, so wonder if she is strong enough to come back especially with the CoP.???

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
If speedy allows this, he will be a hypocrite (not that I wouldn't mind Surya come back, or speedy hasn't been previously a hypocrite). Years ago, Oksana and Tara wanted to re-instate for 2002--well, Oksana was definitely wanting to, and Tara said she thought it would be nice--speedy called them deserters of the ISU and would not stand for that. Granted, Surya had a longer career than either lady, but to allow reinstatement for some and not for others is...well hypocritical and very inclusive.

layman

On the Ice
Although I think it would be cool, I have to wonder with the others on this. When I was asking about her backflip, some were saying how she used to come out of it with a triple toe and now she can't, I didn't see it at COI, so wonder if she is strong enough to come back especially with the CoP.???

Landing a backflip on one foot and then going immediately into a 3-toe is dangerous. Surya has had two serious achilles injuries (that she appears to have recovered fully from), so maybe she's taken that sequence out of her repertoire in order to remain healthy.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
If speedy allows this, he will be a hypocrite (not that I wouldn't mind Surya come back, or speedy hasn't been previously a hypocrite). Years ago, Oksana and Tara wanted to re-instate for 2002--well, Oksana was definitely wanting to, and Tara said she thought it would be nice--speedy called them deserters of the ISU and would not stand for that. Granted, Surya had a longer career than either lady, but to allow reinstatement for some and not for others is...well hypocritical and very inclusive.

Didn't $peedy re-open Oly eligibile skating to pro skaters who wanted to reinstate sometime between '94 and '96? Maybe, he is planning to do it again?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Landing a backflip on one foot and then going immediately into a 3-toe is dangerous. Surya has had two serious achilles injuries (that she appears to have recovered fully from), so maybe she's taken that sequence out of her repertoire in order to remain healthy.

That is why I thought, not that I think she should still be able to, but the toll things like that have taken on her may cause issues with were the emphasis is now on, in Judging (i.e. jumps). I doubt there is going to be a comeback, and if she does I think injury would likely happen soon or her programs would lack content necessary to place high. JMO. I hate being so realistic, not a favorite thing of mine to do.

layman

On the Ice
That is why I thought, not that I think she should still be able to, but the toll things like that have taken on her may cause issues with were the emphasis is now on, in Judging (i.e. jumps). I doubt there is going to be a comeback, and if she does I think injury would likely happen soon or her programs would lack content necessary to place high. JMO. I hate being so realistic, not a favorite thing of mine to do.

Well...based on what I saw Surya do at Champion's on Ice this past summer, she would have probably placed in the top 3 at Europeans. Her abilities are on par with those of Kostner and Meir and certainly more advanced than the other participants.

Surya looked so healthy and trained and sleek. It looked like she had been preparing to compete in Turin, but did not get the call. Better late than never.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Please don't toy with my emotions... I would love to see her come back... I saw COI last spring and I swear, she's made for CoP... Plus, skating has been the same since Surya took her mom and left the building...

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Please don't toy with my emotions... I would love to see her come back... I saw COI last spring and I swear, she's made for CoP... Plus, skating has been the same since Surya took her mom and left the building...

Ah! But every generation has a Suzanne Bonaly--now we have Madame Leung!

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Didn't Suzanne make Surya skate in those different-colored boots, plus she was duct-taping boots?

Yup! But she also demanded that her daughter refuse a silver medal at some competition because Yuka Sato was placed above her... I think it was Worlds in the early 90s... And while Surya was indeed ROBBED (and probably the only time I'd use that wording...) it was totally shocking (albeit ballsy...) for a skater to refuse a silver medal. Obviously, this did not improve Surya in the eyes of the ISU and I'm sure it cost her a world title & olympic medal.

Suzanne did not play... these newbie moms need to take a class... they don't have a thing on the original "skating mom from hell"

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
So it seems there are a lot of you that think she would even have the programme content? Really. I think she would be adding a few more elements in there that just might be the thing to make the difference.

And don't forget I am the poster who doesn't mind eating my words (I better be used to it by now anyway:laugh: ), and I am usually "positive attitude man" about things of this nature - but this time I doubt it more then Ira being pregnant.

Side note -
Everybody is duct-taping these days. It gives more support to broken down boots.
I have recently been educated on this topic, where as I was one to clearly pronounce and spell it DUCT, it is 100% wrong for at least to last few of years of manufacture and 50% or more wrong forever. Not only is that grade of tape illegal in building new homes - not up to code to be used on duct work - but the Brand that is most often used is called "Duck-Tape. It is the origanaly manufacture and that was its name to start with. Yes Duck. It was used and created for military use (long before duct work in houses) to seal up equipment for the troops.
LSS it is DUCK TAPE.

Last edited:

layman

On the Ice
Whoever said that Surya is CoP ready is right. She was one of the originators of multiple changes of position in the combination spins. She's one of the best spinners in the world and was performing the Beilmann spin back before it became trendy.

She has the triple/triples and we all know how much they count in the new scoring system. Her quad would be more valuable to her in the new system. I have seen her land both the quad salchow and quad toe-loop.

She has always had interesting and unusual connecting steps and transitions that were not rewarded under the 6.0 system (but will be under CoP). She's always had some of the best footwork, something that was not recognized much under 6.0 but is important today.

A typical Surya LP layout is 3-lutz/3-toe, 3-flip/2-toe, 2-axel, split jump/3-toe/1/2-loop/3-salchow, 3-lutz, 3-loop. That would score well under CoP.

Let's have Surya back!

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
A typical Surya LP layout is 3-lutz/3-toe, 3-flip/2-toe, 2-axel, split jump/3-toe/1/2-loop/3-salchow, 3-lutz, 3-loop. That would score well under CoP.

I hate to sound negative, but I don't think the content listed here is enough for a eligible career programme. And how is her footwork, I really am not sure for that was not someone I know all that much about during eligibility competitions, but have not heard that much either. And how do you think the Judges would "receive" her? - and her peers? These are all questions from a Non-know it all FS fan, so I am subjecting my self to being wrong, but this just doesn't seem to add up - The WHOLE idea of Surya coming back to the Senior eligible ranks.

Really, I think it all is a rumor.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Surya has jumps and spins, but she sure doesn't have footwork and spirals. Her edging is among the worst in the business. She has ALWAY skated on the flat of her blades.

At any rate, I doubt very much if she would be allowed back into eligible skating. It was my understanding that returning pros would be allowed for the 94 Olympics only, and not after that. Other skaters have tried to reinstate since then, but all were firmly turned down. Moreover, Surya's pouting rejection of her '94 Worlds silver medal on TV and her backflip at the '98 Olympics won her no friends in the ISU.

Why would she want to return and skate for the French federation anyway? Surya always complained about their treatment of her when she was competing. Her having become a US citizen since then isn't going to improve her image in their eyes. If anything, the French Fed is worse than ever in its attitude towards its athletes. What could possibly be in it for her?