Emily Hughes' choreography | Golden Skate

Emily Hughes' choreography

krenseby

Final Flight
Can someone explain to me why Emily's LP this year had so little notable choreography?

Coming into this year's championship as a US. National Medalist and a previous member of the US. Olympic team, she had a good chance to become National
Champion. But she didn't help herself by not competing with Kimmie on the level of choreography and she should have.

What was the reasoning that went into her decision to keep the choreography to a bare minimum? Do you think she was so focused on being perfect on her jumps that she didn't want to distract herself by learning complicated footwork and musical gestures?

I think the last conjecture is correct. Emily has had a lot of trouble on her jumps this season. Under the CoP, you land your jumps, you win -- as indeed, Emily would have if she hadn't fallen in the long program.

Choreography is at best one-fifth of the program components scores, which pretty much track the technical scores anyway.

Hey, it worked for Plushenko!

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
The short I think has terrific choreography, tho the long still needs work. Either way, she still has more choreography going on than she did last year.

amber68

On the Ice
Hey, it worked for Plushenko!

And it works mighty well for Evan too. His "Carmen " is not exactly loaded with transitions . And at least Plushenko has textbook crossovers and does not set up his 4-3 combo for about 30 seconds.
I relly don't get all this negativity towards Plushenko. He's not a crap skater who just happened to win gold medals because he was "skating while Russian".
Yes he has flaws but is it necessary to emphasize them all the time? What about the excellent things in his skating?

I think Emily used David Wilson for her choreography. She seemed to me at Skate America that it was difficult for her to use it . This is not unusual for Wilson's choreo which only top skaters can manage. I believe she tweeked it after Cup of China.

Joe

nymkfan51

Medalist
And it works mighty well for Evan too. His "Carmen " is not exactly loaded with transitions . And at least Plushenko has textbook crossovers and does not set up his 4-3 combo for about 30 seconds.
I relly don't get all this negativity towards Plushenko. He's not a crap skater who just happened to win gold medals because he was "skating while Russian".
Yes he has flaws but is it necessary to emphasize them all the time? What about the excellent things in his skating?

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me the disappointment in Plushenko is that I feel he is capable of so much more. I would love to see a more intricate and beautifully choreographed program for him ... I think he is one of the few skaters who could handle that and still land all the jumps.

ETA ... regarding Emily ... I think you're right Joe. I believe the program has been changed a bit ... not so many MITF as before. That may have been what was causing her jump problems earlier.

I really don't get all this negativity towards Plushenko. He's not a crap skater who just happened to win gold medals because he was "skating while Russian".

"Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown."

People like to find little things to nit-pick on Plushenko because he was SO dominant, compared to all the others, that he seemed like a superman. No harm intended. When Plushenko takes the ice, he is a man among boys.

But as for the strategy "jumps first, everything else second if at all" -- that works for every skater.

Even a skater like Alissa Czisny. :love: Her performances are breath-taking, cheering the heart and satisfying the soul. But if she doesn't land the jumps she won't make the podium.

ETA ... regarding Emily ... I think you're right Joe. I believe the program has been changed a bit ... not so many MITF as before. That may have been what was causing her jump problems earlier.
Emily does have a need for an extended preparation before her take off in jumps. for me, it is disconcerting to get her interpretation of the warrior Sylvia. For me, there is no feeling for the music but much acknowledgement of her elements. There really isn't any connection between the two.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If she has taken out much of the choreography, then why the heck was she so SLOW? I don't remember Emily ever being as slow as she was at Nationals.

If she performs this way at Worlds, that slowly with that little choreography, she will be hit hard in the PCS scores. There is no way she would be scored 115 points for that program at Worlds.

soogar

Record Breaker
If she has taken out much of the choreography, then why the heck was she so SLOW? I don't remember Emily ever being as slow as she was at Nationals.

If she performs this way at Worlds, that slowly with that little choreography, she will be hit hard in the PCS scores. There is no way she would be scored 115 points for that program at Worlds.

Emily was slow but her coach said she had sustained an ankle injury during training.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Then when she puts back the speed, is Emily going to blow her jumps the way she did in the GP? Maybe she was able to skate cleaner in the Nationals FS because she didn't blow away all her energy in the early half of her program. Stamina has always been a problem for her.

It may turn out to be 6 of one, half dozen of the other. Speed with doubles and pops, or a fall and a loss of PCS points due to lack or speed.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
When i watch a program, i watch it through, then put i throught a chreography test. I re-watch the program with no volume. If i can not "hear" or at least begin to imajine what is happening in the music at that part of the program, the chreography needs help. Watch Sasha Cohen's Malguena for a beautiful example of perfect chreography.

Emily Huhges is a strong, powerful skater. she should select musci that emphaisies this. THe music she has choosen, Sylvia is ratther dull and balletic. I do not know the story of the ballet, nor do i get and inclinatio of it by watching emily skate. I am not saying she needs to act out the plot. I am only saying that selecting music that she really "feels" and understands will bring out much better second marks for her, as well as give her that extra spark and ummph in her jumps. When skating to music like that, it is difficult to go into a triple flip for example with a strong attack -like feel.

Emily in my opinion should not use ballet music but do a simplistic number to Dark Eyes, Malaguena, selected Carmen pieces, etc. If she doesn't fall, she will do well and be competitive for gold.

Joe

rain

Record Breaker
As I said in another thread, I found Hughes' LP choreography distinctly lacking. The overall impression was of a whole bunch of telegraphed jump entrances. I don't even remotely remember the music, or anything distinctive about it. Not the impression a skater wants to leave.

I think she'd do well with something jazzy.But please not Gershwin like all the others. I like her Proud Mary exhibition. Why persist with the girly routines? Does her team think it's impossible to win with something a little different? Why?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
because the 'traditional' style is the mindset of many...

I agree something jazzy or bluesy would be awesome for Emily!

amber68

On the Ice
But as for the strategy "jumps first, everything else second if at all" -- that works for every skater.

No, it does not work for every skater.
If you want to do what Plushenko does, you need to be the skater Plushenko is: be sure to land the jumps all the time& have great jumps
have superb stroking (lack of transitions means plenty of stroking!)
have power& speed (empty & slow programs are dreadful)
have charisma and presence on ice