Help, my tape got caught | Golden Skate

Help, my tape got caught

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I don't know if there's any way to fix it. I had the ESPN2 skating taped on my VCR and when I went to take it out, the tape was caught in there. I got it out ok, no I didn't touch it much, just a tiny bit with a tiny screwdriver. I wound it back in
and put it in a different vcr. Now it is caught in there. I am broken hearted as I haven't watched any of it. I don't suppose there's a way to even save the tape?
Sure hope someone here knows how to fix it. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Back in the 90s I used to fix my audio cassettes all the time when they'd get stuck in the tape player. How is it caught in there? Is the actual tape wrapped around one of the heads in the VCR or is the cassette itself stuck in there?

Does the tape play in the VCR?

Once you get the tape out, I'd just throw it away. If you had the right equipment you could transfer its content to a computer but probably better to throw it away and ask for someone else's tape/DVD of the performance.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I don't know if there's any way to fix it. I had the ESPN2 skating taped on my VCR and when I went to take it out, the tape was caught in there. I got it out ok, no I didn't touch it much, just a tiny bit with a tiny screwdriver. I wound it back in and put it in a different vcr. Now it is caught in there.

First
I have retrieved video from tapes before and the portion of tape that was "caught or damaged" was the only part effected on the video playback.

I had this happen only when I used a tape for recording more then a couple of times - as in taping over something on the tape then trying to playback. The bottom of the tape becomes worn and starts to fall out of tracking because of the guide pins on the record head. It then will not feed around the head and the retainer wheels inside the VCR. There is other possibilities but I will go into that as we go. Tracking is the suspect issue with the tape itself, it is likely not an issue with the VCR now. It could have been to start - a VCR could have damaged the tape - but now it is the tape and or cassette.

Anything you touch will only really effect the part of the tape you touch, a reason this is HEAVLY not recommended - touching the tape - it causes irregularities on the tape that could cause problems with the head in the VCR. Could be abrasive to the head or effect the head with oils from your hands.

A couple of questions -
When rewinding the tape "by hand" you had to push a button release (a "hole that if you push a mini screwdriver into it "clicks" a tab and goes into the cassette) that is on the underside of the tape to free the wheels and allow them to pull the tape in the correct direction. You can get the tape to "pull" back into the cassette going the wrong direction with the wheels turning too, so this is why I ask. Look into the tape windows and make sure it is wound from the outer edges of the wheels - they should be mirror images the way the 2 wheels have the tape feeding.

You also must have the "protective door" (front part of the cassette that is fed into the VCR ) opened by a button release on the side of the cassette and hold it open when spooling the tape back in. If not this could cause the tape to either fold and creese so badly it will always get jammed or flip the tape to the wrong side and cause a similar problem.

I have transfered the tape from one cassette to a different one but this is a "tricky" procedure. This was a necessary change because the tab or button, I was talking about, became locked in position - it jammed the wheels.

What I am trying to say is that all is not lost but I need to know specifics of how you rewound the tape back into the cassette - no details left out. The way the tape looks with the front protective door open. And how the tape is reeling onto the spools inside - viewable though the windows on top.

Anyhoo, don't throw it away just yet. It most likely is savable. I could do a little video for you or some pics to try to explain. But all is not lost. I love to help you Grgranny - as well I think most here would.

Well once you get it out of the second VCR. I have cut and sliced video tape before as well. All is not lost. Don't throw it away just yet.

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
GrGranny, do you have just VCR's, or do you have a DVD player??

Dee

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I only have vcr's. Four of them. The newest one is hooked up to only edit. This one is the oldest. It has happened quite often on it. I don't use it often but have a problem if I'm gone I have to use the old one in the office because the dish network turns off at night and I can't get anything because I'm not here to switch it back. I've tried getting it set to switch but it doesn't work so all I get it that picture saying it's dish network. So, I have to tape it from the cable that is in my office. Now, I wish I would have had my grandson in law tape it. Anyway, the way I see it, it gets caught on some kind of spindle in the vcr. It was a new tape. Had never been used. When I tried to rewind it by hand, I stick my finger in the hole with sprockets and turn it. I'm afraid to try very hard. I will have to look at the tape for the button you push but right now, it's caught in my other vcr and don't want to yank very hard. Probably the same way it got stuck in the vcr. I probably should get a new vcr for the office tv but hate to spend more money when they are trying to do away with vcr's. I haven't bought any of those dvd things as every time I buy something like that they come up with something new and then it's obsolete. I have a hard enough time trying to get everything figured out when I have so many things plugged into the tv's. Even when I have it all written down what to do, it doesn't work a lot. I just hold that little bar in front of the tape out a little to get to it and took my little screwdriver and pulled it out enough to get it straight. I try not to touch it with my hands and didn't touch it this time. I had rewound it but didn't know if it had ever rewound before I took it out of the vcr. I think it had as the vcr went to 000. I've been tempted to try and open the vcr up to see exactly what happens but I have a hard time getting things put back together when I take them apart. It's times like this - and many other times you miss your mate the most. Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Sounds like you are having fun.:laugh: Sort'a.

Taking the case off the VCR is really easy. Unplug it. ;) All the screws are visible to remove the top / sides as one piece. There is probably only 6 screws on back of and sides, it will lift from the back (pull up in back - piviot) and a little lip to the front plastic face - pull back once you lift the back of cover to around a 20 - 30 degree angle. Just slides out of the top of the face piece. Then the whole inside of the VCR is visible. :clap: Nothing but the on metal "cover" (and screws) will come off when you remove it. This is how they clean and service VCRs. Also the best way to get the tape out of it.

Those little "spindles " in there are a "plastic" that wears down and can become loose on their shafts. It can cause "shakiness" and tracking issues when they get old. Also most have bushings that are meant to wear instead of the plastic (likely a white tubular wheel you are referring to) and can also be replaced. If some one can service your VCRs for 30 dollars or less it could be worth it, otherwise buying a new one can be just as effective.

It really sounds like it needs a good cleaning / minor service at most.

Here are some pictures - the buttons may not be white on your cassette.

This is the side of the VHS, the little square white button releases the front door to hinge up and expose the tape. You should be able to push it in with finger or fingernail and swing the door upward to expose the tape. In this picture the tape cassette is laying on it's top.

This is the bottom of the Cassette, the white round button / tab is in the middle, this pushed in will allow the tape spools to wind freely both directions - keep pushed in when spooling.

Top of VSH showing windows, I show the direction of tape spooling with the highlighted lines, must spool on outsides of tape spools.

The Dish Network logo only coming up on the one could mean a few different things; you have not payed on that receiver and they "shut it down" - the receiver need to go through set up, start to finish, or the receiver is not hooked up to a satellite dish. Could be more but those are the first to mind. Oh, and it could be on a channel that is not subscribed to. If you have access to the receiver, unplug it for 15 seconds and plug it back in and see what the TV says.

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Grganny, what is on that tape, maybe we can all just rally together and get you a replacement!

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm willing to help. I have all the LP but not the SP's. I can convert from DVD to VHS and vice-versa.

Dee

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
How great for all the help. THANK YOU. I got the tape out and got it rewound, etc. and it is blank. Must have happened before it taped. Suppose I better just throw it out. I probably do need to clean my vcr's. Only way I know is to use the tape cleaner thing. Costs too much to take them to a shop. Probably cheaper to just buy another one. I will look on the selling site and see what's there for tapes, etc. I had to read the news letter thing to know who won. I did get what was on ABC Sun. Anyway, part of it. I do want to copy off what Sean said to do. I don't suppose that if I got it apart like that I could use my vaccuum cleaner to suck out the dust?

I didn't get much of the Nationals at all. I know I have the short ladies. Let me know what you might have, anyone and I will pay you for the tapes and the shipping, etc.

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Wondered if this would get moved over to the Cafe.

Just checking in on this quick, dad is getting his heart rate up so we can do exercises and get dinner made. Although I bought a bag of gummy bears and I would be fine with that.:laugh: :no:
I do want to copy off what Sean said to do. I don't suppose that if I got it apart like that I could use my vaccuum cleaner to suck out the dust?
Vacuums and "electrical data" type machines should really not be brought together. A potable with a long hose is better, but the build up electromagnetic fields that usually do nothing but can cause issues. I recommend not getting them near things like that especially when they are on. Used compressed air and follow the short burst directions on the can.
I didn't get much of the Nationals at all. I know I have the short ladies. Let me know what you might have, anyone and I will pay you for the tapes and the shipping, etc.

Thanks again everyone.

All I really have is the SP ladies, but I'll make a list of what I kept and send it to you latter and you can tell me what you want me to put on a VHS for you.

back latter.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I have it all... save for a couple of times when the DVD recorder pooped out during Ryan's LP and one of the ladies SPs...

but everything else is there...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I dunno it was a cheap recorder so sometimes it just stops... all I have to do is press record again and it starts back up so it's not like I've run out of space on the disk

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I have it all... save for a couple of times when the DVD recorder pooped out during Ryan's LP and one of the ladies SPs...

but everything else is there...

I thought you said you missed some of the ladies LP too.?? I must have misunderstood - or should I say, actually I must have misunderstood ;)

btw, like the new Evan sig.

There ya go Grganny, Toni to the rescue. Now can Toni get it onto a VHS for you???? What a gal!!!!:yes:

heyang

Record Breaker
GrGranny, do you have a DVD drive on your computer?

I have everything except some of the Ladies' SP's (I think the only notable one missing is Katy Taylor's - I got Emily, Kimmie, Bebe and Alyssa) and the Original Dance. My digital service went out and I didn't think to crank up the VCR for about 1/2 an hour or so.

With the exception of transferring Ryan Bradley's LP from TiVo to DVD, everything else is on DVD. I'll probably have that on DVD along with the recap on Sunday and the Exhibitions.

Let me know if I can copy anything for you - or perhaps the recap on Sunday will do? The Recap is on Sunday, 2/4 from 12:30 to 2:30 eastern time on ABC. Check your listings.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Heyang, do you have the men's SP??

Dee

heyang

Record Breaker
I have whatever they showed on ESPN. I don't think they showed any SP's between when my digital service went out and when I turned on the VCR - got the sense that I only missed some Ladies' SP and the original dance. They didn't show much, just Evan, Johnny and Ryan Bradley. Men's SP was really just filler for the Ladies' SP.

R.D.

Record Breaker
hey, on that topic have you got the opening fluff of the ladies short program?