Shae-Lynn tours update | Golden Skate

Shae-Lynn tours update

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I'm really intrigued to see Shae solo dancing, I've heard she's very entertaining. :)

That mini-tour of Switzerland is coming over to Sheffield in the UK for one date on Feb 10th, and the line-up also includes the Kerrs, so an icedancing double on the bill! :clap:

http://www.artonice.co.uk/index1.htm

Antilles

Medalist
I think her solo career started out great, but I now find her kind of boring. Obivously she doesn't jump, but that part doesn't bother me. She does little by way of spins, and really no footwork anymore (odd for a dancer). I saw her on TV recently, and she was mostly stroking around and emoting with her arms and face. I am glad that she can still have a career, though.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I've been having the same problem Antilles... I just don't find her that entertaining... she still emotes like an ice dancer (in that she OVER emotes to the point where it is annoying) and does a lot of hydroblating but other than that there's not much there...

discoduck

On the Ice
I enjoy Shae's skating. I love the way that she truly dances on the ice. I don't think she over emotes at all. In fact, I adore her Living On The Edge number. I hope she continues to perform for a very long time. :rock:

scs

Rinkside
I initially enjoyed Shae Lynn's solo skating but have recently found her programs lacking in elements...not that I expected jumps, but, as already noted, there are not even many spins. She does a fabulous job interpreting the music and plays to the audience, but needs to add to her repetoire of moves.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have no interest in seeing Shae Lynn skate by herself. BOOOring!

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Some so fickle,;) I love watching her.:love: Most fab skater, No. But wonderfully entertaining. Different / pro, still entertaining. Just had to put a positive in there.:rock:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
how is it fickle? any act can get old after a while...

Maybe a better term would be hard to please.:agree: it is JMO. Some can read the same book a number of times. Some think a book is worth reading a number of times, but others can think the book is only worth one read, and some not even worth finishing. I see relativity shining it's head again here, but wonder how a fan of skating could feel she is not worth watching.??? JMO and think IMO people are hard to please in general.

I guess I just wonder about the standards that dictate some notions of "worth."

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm not saying people can't enjoy her, and I'm glad she's still skating

she's just not doing as much as she used to as a soloist and that bums me out because I can only watch so much stroking

I watch movies and read books over and over, but that's because the content is still there no matter how many times I partake...

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I watch movies and read books over and over, but that's because the content is still there no matter how many times I partake...

Good point, I can watch Sailor Moon a thousand times. I see what you mean. I guess she is like a Old book with new content rewritten by a bad writer in some minds.:cool:

BBI*CEO

On the Ice
A Bourne Performer - love it!!

Here's Livin on the Edge that was referred to earlier - features a lot of hydroblading but many new and difficult moves in addition to some of the recycled ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrY3fPWs4_M

So with these three links posted already, it gives a pretty good spectrum of styles and atmospheres for the kinds of programs she can do, unlike Bobek, who just stroked, did a jump, flirted and shook her tukas - agreed, not my fave types of program either.

Perhaps most skaters, when pressed for time and need to develop eight new numbers for four different shows in under two months all to be performed live (and then all broadcast on TV within two months of each other), would start to look altogether repetitive.

Maybe what we're noticing is many appearances in a reasonably short period of time....which I suppose could be positively spun - she's getting work, she's in demand, even if not so much in Canada. I too wish all tours/shows would feature more ice dance (teams) and even adagio skating!

The more variety the merrier!!

Relativity indeed!

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Thanks. I would love to see this! Shae-Lynn is one of the best skaters on the planet. She may not have a lot of jumps in her programs, but she is still beautiful to watch. There are some skaters who do have all the tricks but don't equal Shae's finess on the blade. Her quality edges and smooth flow are beautiful to watch. I don't find Shae-lynn boring at all. Even Kurt - the master on the blade - says Shae-Lynn is the best skater he has ever seen.