Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: I'd rather skate naked than wear fur

Custom Title
    Last edited by gio; 01-31-2007 at 02:51 PM.

Down With It

Can't read the text though.

Custom Title
    I try to translate
    The text says that she is denouncing the murder of the seals for fur in Canada. She did this today at the Asnieres skating rink. She is member of PETA, American foundation for the protection of animals, that does these kind of protests. In fact her agent has said that she will skates completely naked, with just her skates on. She did this, to let know her cause.
    Last edited by gio; 01-31-2007 at 03:07 PM.

When I saw this being discussed on FSU I thought, there is the same chance that Surya will go through with it as there is that she will return to eligible skating -- zero.

That having been said, Surya is lookin' fi-i-ine!

Rinkside
    Er...was there anyone who wanted Surya to wear fur on the ice during some shows???IMHO,it's strange and funny.

Ya they are going off over there talking about it. Funny comments. This will most likely - if she does - be like the other PETA nude protests. Nothing any more racy then a day at the French Rivera, just topless. If anything I think it could help the ratings of FS, but the whole "I'd rather be.." phrase is just so "bumpersticker" anymore, I don't think it makes the point. Attention it brings is good, but I think the point gets lost in the nudity hoopla.

One poster was mentioning the fact she would be skating in Leather boots. People are fickle.

Besides, nude and the way it already is with the amount of cover in FS costumes, not that different anyway. I think the animals in cages was the last truly effective protest they had with this angle. When the models did it is was still, "like how much of a difference is there really." Does this angle really work?
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 01-31-2007 at 03:25 PM.

Down With It
    Sorry, but this is completely over the top. I think there are other ways to show animal support, but this is just to drum up much needed publicity for her.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gio View Post
    I try to translate
    The text says that she is denouncing the murder of the seals for fur in Canada. She did this today at the Asnieres skating rink. She is member of PETA, American foundation for the protection of animals, that does these kind of protests. In fact her agent has said that she will skates completely naked, with just her skates on. She did this, to let know her cause.
    What can I say?

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Is this retaliation for Tarasova dumping her before Nagano? (she worked with TT prior to Nagano, but TT said she was going to concentrate on Ilia Kulik and Oksana Baiul/Yevgeny Platov)

OK, now, first, did you see the video? She had on a full bathing suit-type costume.

This is fine. Lots of people do eye-catching things to attract attention to a cause that they believe in. Like sitting on top of a flag pole for three days to protest civil right violations in the name of Homeland Security. The hope is that someone sees you up there and it makes them think about the issue that you are protesting.

Or like a fund-raising campaign where volunteers sign up to skate for as many hours as they can and they ask all their friends to pledge to contribute a dime to the Hurricane Katrina fund for each minute that they can stay on the ice. What does ice skating have to do with charitable giving? If I want to give a dime to the Katrina fund, I can send in a dime whether anyone is skating or not.

Still, it generates publicity for the cause. Maybe someone will see Surya skating in her bathing suit and holding up a sign about PETA and say, hey, you know, that IS kind of mean about those baby seals, I guess I'll make a contribution or write to my congressman about it.

Custom Title
    To add to Gio's translation: The headline says "She Did Not Skate Naked" and in the article it says that although her agent had announced that she would appear wearing only her skates, when she finally did appear, she was wearing a "classic outfit" (I'm not sure what they mean by that).

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Not a bad looking "costume." Glad it wasn't "nude." She looks great. But I still prefer the unitard.

It does bring attention to their cause in a peaceful manner. That is good! Mom loves fake fur and wonders sometimes if that sends a bad message. She is incessantly telling everyone it is fake and would never get a real one.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I'm still not sure why that's classic, but then I'm not French, either.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    whoever wore fur to skate?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast