I'd rather skate naked than wear fur | Golden Skate

I'd rather skate naked than wear fur

gio

Medalist
I try to translate
The text says that she is denouncing the murder of the seals for fur in Canada. She did this today at the Asnieres skating rink. She is member of PETA, American foundation for the protection of animals, that does these kind of protests. In fact her agent has said that she will skates completely naked, with just her skates on. She did this, to let know her cause.

Last edited:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: When I saw this being discussed on FSU I thought, there is the same chance that Surya will go through with it as there is that she will return to eligible skating -- zero. :laugh:

That having been said, Surya is lookin' fi-i-ine! :love:

Eudgene

Spectator
Er...was there anyone who wanted Surya to wear fur on the ice during some shows???IMHO,it's strange and funny.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Ya they are going off over there talking about it. Funny comments. This will most likely - if she does - be like the other PETA nude protests. Nothing any more racy then a day at the French Rivera, just topless. If anything I think it could help the ratings of FS, but the whole "I'd rather be.." phrase is just so "bumpersticker" anymore, I don't think it makes the point. Attention it brings is good, but I think the point gets lost in the nudity hoopla.

One poster was mentioning the fact she would be skating in Leather boots. People are fickle.

Besides, nude and the way it already is with the amount of cover in FS costumes, not that different anyway. I think the animals in cages was the last truly effective protest they had with this angle. When the models did it is was still, "like how much of a difference is there really." Does this angle really work?

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Sorry, but this is completely over the top. I think there are other ways to show animal support, but this is just to drum up much needed publicity for her.

jennylovskt

Medalist
I try to translate
The text says that she is denouncing the murder of the seals for fur in Canada. She did this today at the Asnieres skating rink. She is member of PETA, American foundation for the protection of animals, that does these kind of protests. In fact her agent has said that she will skates completely naked, with just her skates on. She did this, to let know her cause.

What can I say? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Is this retaliation for Tarasova dumping her before Nagano? (she worked with TT prior to Nagano, but TT said she was going to concentrate on Ilia Kulik and Oksana Baiul/Yevgeny Platov)

OK, now, first, did you see the video? She had on a full bathing suit-type costume.

This is fine. Lots of people do eye-catching things to attract attention to a cause that they believe in. Like sitting on top of a flag pole for three days to protest civil right violations in the name of Homeland Security. The hope is that someone sees you up there and it makes them think about the issue that you are protesting.

Or like a fund-raising campaign where volunteers sign up to skate for as many hours as they can and they ask all their friends to pledge to contribute a dime to the Hurricane Katrina fund for each minute that they can stay on the ice. What does ice skating have to do with charitable giving? If I want to give a dime to the Katrina fund, I can send in a dime whether anyone is skating or not.

Still, it generates publicity for the cause. Maybe someone will see Surya skating in her bathing suit and holding up a sign about PETA and say, hey, you know, that IS kind of mean about those baby seals, I guess I'll make a contribution or write to my congressman about it.

scorekeeper

On the Ice
To add to Gio's translation: The headline says "She Did Not Skate Naked" and in the article it says that although her agent had announced that she would appear wearing only her skates, when she finally did appear, she was wearing a "classic outfit" (I'm not sure what they mean by that).

SeaniBu

Record Breaker

Not a bad looking "costume." Glad it wasn't "nude." She looks great.:love: But I still prefer the unitard.;)

It does bring attention to their cause in a peaceful manner. That is good! Mom loves fake fur and wonders sometimes if that sends a bad message. She is incessantly telling everyone it is fake and would never get a real one.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
:rofl: :rofl:

Surya is awesome! She's just so darn french... :bow:

Now, I love a great fur coat and really never see the point to PETA outside of animal testing and cruelty issues, but this is way cool... and much cooler than their old obsession with tossing red paint onto innocent people who love a cozy mink... that was just unacceptable... My mom used to say how she'd love for some "crazy" to toss paint on her fur, so she could see just how far the insanity plea could go... but then, my mom is extra special;)

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
hey if it weren't for the fur industry all of those little minks would be unemployed...........rats without a reason to live:biggrin:

dutchherder

Final Flight
As an exhibitor and breeder of rabbits for show, I would like to point out that many people "support" PETA without knowing what they really are. They are not an animal WELFARE organization; they are an animal RIGHTS organization. The difference? Animal welfare organizations fight for humane treatment of animals. Animal rights organizations advocate the same rights for animals as humans, which sounds okay until you think about it. They are against: eating animals or using them for clothing of any kind, using animal by-products (e.g. gelatin), using animals for any kind of testing, raising/breeding animals for show, zoos, crate-training dogs, fishing, or owning any kind of pet. Learn more from their site, if you're interested:

http://www.peta-online.org/campaigns/ar-uncompromisingstands.asp

That's very interesting. It makes me wonder where the concept came from that humans have rights. Rights seem to be things that we make up and bestow upon ourselves (and in some cases, upon our friends).

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Boy my hubby would love to see that! He always says ladies skating would be more interesting if they skated in the nude. I will have to tell him. By the way, Sir Paul McCartney and his wife Heather recently staged a huge protest over our Seal Hunt - now they are getting divorced. I guess Heather dragged Paul to one too many of her causes.....