Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: If a new costume can help raise your seasonal best by 7 points, CHANGE IT!!

Banned

If a new costume can help raise your seasonal best by 7 points, CHANGE IT!!

Binshu Xu just scored a new personal best of 55 points in her short program at 'Winter Asian Games', beating her previous seasonal best of 48 points at 'Skate Canada' by almost 7 points.

Compare these two performances:

Binshu Xu's SP at 'Skate Canada'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FkNN...elated&search=

Binshu Xu SP at 'Winter Asian Games'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov9cP7_5K34

At both events, she skated two clean programs, but the scores could not be further different. She did change quite a bit on her spins & footwork at winter games. However, I believe the new costume really did her the wonder. She no longer looks like a ten-year-old girl in this new costume but a lovely lady.

http://winter2007.sports.cn/china/pi...1/1039911.html

Suggestion, if you want to beat your personal best, have a new costume!!

BTW, I also posted Fumie, Nakano and Dan Fang's SP under 'Asian Winter Games' thread, all of them skated brilliantly, perhaps all of their seasonal best performances.
    Last edited by iloveaxel; 02-01-2007 at 03:15 PM.

Thanks iloveaxel!

I was thinking about this regarding Johnny, he did well with The swan right! So self expression may help him skate better. If it does, then he should express as much as he can IMO.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    a good costume can help the judges apperciate the skating more and can put them in the right frame of mind. maybe that was the secret to michelles succes. If costumes to indeed make that much a diffrence however, irina would never have beaten sasha cohen. ever.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Then some skaters who shall not be named really need to improve their appearance, and not just with their costume...if looks indeed raise your PB by 7 points!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=757Qq...elated&search=

look at her hear, in 2004. Chaming. so mature. why havn't we seen more of her or at least heard about her? Has she been injured? She really is very talented and has BEAUTIFUlL jumps. a lot of speed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=757Qq...elated&search=

look at her hear, in 2004. Chaming. so mature. why havn't we seen more of her or at least heard about her? Has she been injured? She really is very talented and has BEAUTIFUlL jumps. a lot of speed.
    She's not very consistent. For example, she completely bombed in her SP at a recent winter univeristy games by scoring only 33 points. The next day, she jumped from 18th place to 2nd place in the long program by landing 6 triples.

She always looks quite juriousih, so the judges marked her very harshly in the PCS at both of her first senior GP events this year. So hopefully, her new mature style will help her do well at 4cc.

I prefer her much better to Yan Liu and Dan Fang. Binshu Xu has speed, and her skating skills, spins, spirals are so much stronger than any other current Chinese ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by iloveaxel View Post

She always looks quite juriousih, so the judges marked her very harshly in the PCS at both of her first senior GP events this year. So hopefully, her new mature style will help her do well at 4cc.

Mao Asada looked VERY juniorish her first year as a senior lady, skating the the nutcracker. The judges did not seem to mind at all. I thought her Malaguena program was very sophisticated, bu that more recent short program posted above looked rather simple.

Brian Joubert' wife (I wish...) _Ladybug_'s Avatar
    I have a soft spot for Binshu Xu. She is adorable. I love her style, she is very soft. She is indeed a bit juniorish but it's not bad at all. She is charming. I hope we get to see more of her!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    Mao Asada looked VERY juniorish her first year as a senior lady, skating the the nutcracker. The judges did not seem to mind at all. I thought her Malaguena program was very sophisticated, bu that more recent short program posted above looked rather simple.
    No, I don't think her Malaguena was more sophisticated although it might be 'prettier'. It was not a CoP friendly program, there's little transition, no difficult spins, spirals, no combo jumps. But I really enjoy that program the most. She was so adorable and had a good command of the ice and nice flow.

Custom Title
    I love the new dress too. But it appears that it was the change of difficulty levels of her spins and step sequences that gave her new PB. She got level 3 and 4 this time for all her elements. In fact, she get 3.4 more for the planned technical score and she didn't get any deductions for GOE this time. So the new dress might have boosted her performance by 3 points to the most by making herself and maybe the judges happier. I think it is logical to have a higher SS when the program difficulty is increased and it was skated well, also higher PE. Anyway, I'm happy for Xu. She's a lovely skater and has a whole package.
    Last edited by hongligl; 02-01-2007 at 08:30 PM.

Skating Freak Barbie
    Quote Originally Posted by iloveaxel View Post

At both events, she skated two clean programs, but the scores could not be further different. She did change quite a bit on her spins & footwork at winter games.
    So, in your wisdom, you think it is a new COSTUME, not improved difficulty on spins and footwork, that gets a skater a personal best? Um, ok, whatever.

Banned

free skate

Binshu Xu's free skate, she scored a well-deserved pb of 103 points by landing 7 triples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTXiWXrrzOw

Banned
    I don't think changing costume affects scores.
    Look at the ice dancing event of AWG.
    The silver medalist couple's score is 25 points(!) higher than CoC and TEB.
    Xu's score may not be inflated that much, but should not be taken seriouly.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I noticed that the SP is titled PB in Her Hometown.

For whatever reason, skating well in your home town always seems to wring a few extra points out of the judges hard hearts. Perhaps they are influenced by the enthusiasm of the local crowd. Or...Perhaps they are afraid to face the wrath of the audience if they don't reward hometown skaters.

Tanith always has, for me, the best dresses which work with the music; are well made; and most tasteful.

Joe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast