Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Cutting music

  1. #1
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    62

    0 Not allowed!

    Cutting music

    I'm trying to find music that I can create programs to, I'd like to cut several pieces but all I have right not in GarageBand and the basic programs on a MacBook, I could be wrong but I don't think any of that works for the type of editing I need to do. What is a good program I can buy that gets the job done without being to tough on the pocketbook?
    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    At the rink. Again. mskater93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,325

    0 Not allowed!
    Why buy when you can download Audacity (for free) by Soundforge?

  3. #3
    MY TVC 1 5 SeaniBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Watching the Wheels
    Posts
    4,983

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    I'm trying to find music that I can create programs to, I'd like to cut several pieces but all I have right not in GarageBand and the basic programs on a MacBook, I could be wrong but I don't think any of that works for the type of editing I need to do. What is a good program I can buy that gets the job done without being to tough on the pocketbook?
    Thanks in advance.
    No, that is plenty. You have what you need.

  4. #4
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    62

    0 Not allowed!
    Could you explain what Audacity is and lets you do?
    Osthere some part of Garageband that I am missing, I've found it great for making my own music but I can't download music from say itunes into it to be able to cut.
    Thanks for responding.

  5. #5
    At the rink. Again. mskater93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,325

    0 Not allowed!
    Audacity is a program that lets you cut music really easily. It's east to learn and really easy to use. You can cut, splice, compress, stretch, compress/stretch small segments, fade in/out, etc. The first time I used it, it took me about 15 minutes to cut a piece of music, and that was trying to get it just at the right spot. It took me longer to convert and burn it.

  6. #6
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    62

    0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the info, sounds liek what I'm after. Going going to download it and try it out now!

  7. #7
    MY TVC 1 5 SeaniBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Watching the Wheels
    Posts
    4,983

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Could you explain what Audacity is and lets you do?
    Osthere some part of Garageband that I am missing, I've found it great for making my own music but I can't download music from say itunes into it to be able to cut.
    Thanks for responding.
    ???
    I can drag the iTunes song I want into Grageband, cut, copy, paste, fade volume levels, overlap, crossfade, etc.. whatever I want with a song - any song that I have tried. Shoot, I can even do most of that with iMovie. I don't know what else to say. I have found it extremely easy. The only thing I could imagine being a problem is "protected" files that were purchased off the iTunes site. That you will run into copyright infringements anyway, so even though I have found away to work around it, I don't recommend it. No need for 3rd party software IMO, but whatever you find easier.

  8. #8
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2

    0 Not allowed!
    As long as Audacity has been brought up....i've tried to use it before; but when i initially play the song in the program all i hear is static...or the song really speeded up. I'm pretty sure i could use the program if i could get past that glitch. Does anyone know how to fix this? thanks in advance for your help

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Brixton, South London
    Posts
    143

    0 Not allowed!
    I've never had a problem with it; perhaps you need to delete it and reinstall it?

  10. #10
    MY TVC 1 5 SeaniBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Watching the Wheels
    Posts
    4,983

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by icedancer86 View Post
    As long as Audacity has been brought up....i've tried to use it before; but when i initially play the song in the program all i hear is static...or the song really speeded up. I'm pretty sure i could use the program if i could get past that glitch. Does anyone know how to fix this? thanks in advance for your help
    This sounds like the issues I had with a Jesse Cook and downloading from iTunes music store directly. The songs played in iTunes but when I initially tried using it to replace the broadcast of the SP I discovered the "protection." The result was almost identical to what you are saying.

    It could be also as Mrs Redboots is saying, well except semantically. "delete the song and re-import it, or uninstall the software and reinstall."
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 02-04-2007 at 11:54 AM.

  11. #11
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    62

    0 Not allowed!
    Yes, when I downloaded Audacity the same thing happened to me and as much as I fiddled around I couldn't fix it... very odd.
    SeaniBu- I'm going to have to play around with itunes and GarageBand some more because I couldn't get it to work the first times but who knows. That would be excellent if I can get mine to work since I already know how to use all the applications.

  12. #12
    MY TVC 1 5 SeaniBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Watching the Wheels
    Posts
    4,983

    0 Not allowed!
    When using Grageband make sure your Filevault is off.

    Try a song that you know you put on there such as off a CD maybe pre 2001. It sounds - but I don't know everything you have been doing - like protection / copyright, because you can do this with your own songs.

  13. #13
    Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    5,012

    0 Not allowed!
    i have a mac book that has Garage Band on it.. is this all i need? i never even clicked on it.. so i don't know what to expect.

  14. #14
    MY TVC 1 5 SeaniBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Watching the Wheels
    Posts
    4,983

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    i have a mac book that has Garage Band on it.. is this all i need? i never even clicked on it.. so i don't know what to expect.
    I believe so, strongly.

    If you have ever worked with a mixing board, that is relatively what you are going to get. One that has a visual display of the music as well as a bunch of options - effects, vocal / instrumental settings, sound clips, etc. But it looks a lot like a studio mixer and "your cursor is now your finger." Play, have fun, learn. It is congruent with Mac apps "language / interface."

    Here is a sound and video clip that I edited only in iMovie most recently. The lower two audio channels in iMovie work very similar to Grageband but GB has a lot more options. It is not complete with the video editing. The sound file was over 3 minutes clipped to 1 minute 30 seconds, has 5 cuts, 12 volume adjustments and overlaps. All just in iMovie which works very similar regarding sound files as Grageband "works / interfaces."

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gFzESLjlgQ

  15. #15
    Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    5,012

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaniBu View Post
    I believe so, strongly.

    If you have ever worked with a mixing board, that is relatively what you are going to get. One that has a visual display of the music as well as a bunch of options - effects, vocal / instrumental settings, sound clips, etc. But it looks a lot like a studio mixer and "your cursor is now your finger." Play, have fun, learn. It is congruent with Mac apps "language / interface."

    Here is a sound and video clip that I edited only in iMovie most recently. The lower two audio channels in iMovie work very similar to Grageband but GB has a lot more options. It is not complete with the video editing. The sound file was over 3 minutes clipped to 1 minute 30 seconds, has 5 cuts, 12 volume adjustments and overlaps. All just in iMovie which works very similar regarding sound files as Grageband "works / interfaces."

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gFzESLjlgQ

    thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •