Cutting music | Golden Skate

Cutting music

Wren

Rinkside
I'm trying to find music that I can create programs to, I'd like to cut several pieces but all I have right not in GarageBand and the basic programs on a MacBook, I could be wrong but I don't think any of that works for the type of editing I need to do. What is a good program I can buy that gets the job done without being to tough on the pocketbook?
Thanks in advance.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I'm trying to find music that I can create programs to, I'd like to cut several pieces but all I have right not in GarageBand and the basic programs on a MacBook, I could be wrong but I don't think any of that works for the type of editing I need to do. What is a good program I can buy that gets the job done without being to tough on the pocketbook?
Thanks in advance.

No, that is plenty. You have what you need.

Wren

Rinkside
Could you explain what Audacity is and lets you do?
Osthere some part of Garageband that I am missing, I've found it great for making my own music but I can't download music from say itunes into it to be able to cut.
Thanks for responding.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Audacity is a program that lets you cut music really easily. It's east to learn and really easy to use. You can cut, splice, compress, stretch, compress/stretch small segments, fade in/out, etc. The first time I used it, it took me about 15 minutes to cut a piece of music, and that was trying to get it just at the right spot. It took me longer to convert and burn it.

Wren

Rinkside
Thanks for the info, sounds liek what I'm after. Going going to download it and try it out now!

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Could you explain what Audacity is and lets you do?
Osthere some part of Garageband that I am missing, I've found it great for making my own music but I can't download music from say itunes into it to be able to cut.
Thanks for responding.
???
I can drag the iTunes song I want into Grageband, cut, copy, paste, fade volume levels, overlap, crossfade, etc.. whatever I want with a song - any song that I have tried. Shoot, I can even do most of that with iMovie. I don't know what else to say. I have found it extremely easy. The only thing I could imagine being a problem is "protected" files that were purchased off the iTunes site. That you will run into copyright infringements anyway, so even though I have found away to work around it, I don't recommend it. No need for 3rd party software IMO, but whatever you find easier.

icedancer86

Spectator
As long as Audacity has been brought up....i've tried to use it before; but when i initially play the song in the program all i hear is static...or the song really speeded up. I'm pretty sure i could use the program if i could get past that glitch. Does anyone know how to fix this? thanks in advance for your help

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
As long as Audacity has been brought up....i've tried to use it before; but when i initially play the song in the program all i hear is static...or the song really speeded up. I'm pretty sure i could use the program if i could get past that glitch. Does anyone know how to fix this? thanks in advance for your help

This sounds like the issues I had with a Jesse Cook and downloading from iTunes music store directly. The songs played in iTunes but when I initially tried using it to replace the broadcast of the SP I discovered the "protection." The result was almost identical to what you are saying.

It could be also as Mrs Redboots is saying, well except semantically. "delete the song and re-import it, or uninstall the software and reinstall.";)

Last edited:

Wren

Rinkside
Yes, when I downloaded Audacity the same thing happened to me and as much as I fiddled around I couldn't fix it... very odd.
SeaniBu- I'm going to have to play around with itunes and GarageBand some more because I couldn't get it to work the first times but who knows. That would be excellent if I can get mine to work since I already know how to use all the applications.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
When using Grageband make sure your Filevault is off.

Try a song that you know you put on there such as off a CD maybe pre 2001. It sounds - but I don't know everything you have been doing - like protection / copyright, because you can do this with your own songs.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
i have a mac book that has Garage Band on it.. is this all i need? i never even clicked on it.. so i don't know what to expect.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
i have a mac book that has Garage Band on it.. is this all i need? i never even clicked on it.. so i don't know what to expect.

I believe so, strongly.

If you have ever worked with a mixing board, that is relatively what you are going to get. One that has a visual display of the music as well as a bunch of options - effects, vocal / instrumental settings, sound clips, etc. But it looks a lot like a studio mixer and "your cursor is now your finger." Play, have fun, learn. It is congruent with Mac apps "language / interface."

Here is a sound and video clip that I edited only in iMovie most recently. The lower two audio channels in iMovie work very similar to Grageband but GB has a lot more options. It is not complete with the video editing. The sound file was over 3 minutes clipped to 1 minute 30 seconds, has 5 cuts, 12 volume adjustments and overlaps. All just in iMovie which works very similar regarding sound files as Grageband "works / interfaces."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gFzESLjlgQ

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I believe so, strongly.

If you have ever worked with a mixing board, that is relatively what you are going to get. One that has a visual display of the music as well as a bunch of options - effects, vocal / instrumental settings, sound clips, etc. But it looks a lot like a studio mixer and "your cursor is now your finger." Play, have fun, learn. It is congruent with Mac apps "language / interface."

Here is a sound and video clip that I edited only in iMovie most recently. The lower two audio channels in iMovie work very similar to Grageband but GB has a lot more options. It is not complete with the video editing. The sound file was over 3 minutes clipped to 1 minute 30 seconds, has 5 cuts, 12 volume adjustments and overlaps. All just in iMovie which works very similar regarding sound files as Grageband "works / interfaces."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gFzESLjlgQ

thanks.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker

Did you have any issues with the music starting late? Not in sync with the video, should have stated music with the first flash and Sarah. I haven 't had this happen before with Youtube until recently? But anyhoo, you got to hear the capabilities of iMovie at the last with regards to audio.

Wren

Rinkside
Just as an update Seanibu, you were completely right, I got my songs imported to GarageBand and have already been able to make one mix. I don't know how I couldn't have figured it out when I tried before, I must have been having a 'think-inside-the-box' day ; )
Thank you!