US Ladies competing for Latin American countries | Golden Skate

US Ladies competing for Latin American countries

gio

Medalist
There are a lot of strong skaters in the USA, but just three spots for Worlds.
I know that a lot of Russians competed for the other former Soviet countries (Soldatova for Belarus, Timoshenko for Azerbaijan). So, imagine if they could compete for the Latin American countries at Worlds. They will certainly all qualify for the free skate and I bet that some of them will be in the top 10.

So, just for fun, I made this imaginary list
Beatrisa Liang - Argentina
Juliana Cannarozzo - Venezuela
Rachael Flatt - Brazil
Katy Taylor - Uruguay
Danielle Kahle - Colombia
Megan Oster - Cuba
Melissa Bulanhagui - Peru
Michelle Boulos - Dominican Republic
Christine Zukowski - Chile

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Unfortunately, only Brazil (of the countries you listed) is a Provisional Figure Skating Member of the ISU -- luckily for Flatt. ;) -- but, then again, she won't be age-eligible for senior worlds until 2009.

On the other hand, hmmm... Bulanhagui's parents were born in the Philippines, Boulos sounds like a Greek name (her mother is Korean, I believe), Cannarozzo is definitely an Italian name, Zukowski could be a Polish name...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Unfortunately, only Brazil (of the countries you listed) is a Provisional Figure Skating Member of the ISU -- luckily for Flatt. ;) -- but, then again, she won't be age-eligible for senior worlds until 2009.

Natalia Alexandra Mitsuoka competed for Argentina at Junior Worlds 2006, but she failed to make it out of the QR.

heyang

Record Breaker
Didn't Sydney Vogel try to compete in Germany? Several years ago, people were suggesting that Angela Nikodinov skate for Bulgaria to make a World team. Kyoko Ina also skated for Japan as a singles skater.

Atena

Rinkside
hello.. in my opinio.. the countrie who have more chance.. in future in Figure Skating is Argentina.. here in brazil.. most of the people don't like this kind of sport.. and is a expencive sport..

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Natalia Alexandra Mitsuoka competed for Argentina at Junior Worlds 2006
Yes I know, but Argentina is currently not a ISU member country in figure skating (they are a Provisional Speed Skating Member) -- hopefully they will regain their figure skating status in the near future.

ks777

Record Breaker
I know Lily Lee competed for Korea back in the 90s. Also Mirai Nagasu could compete for Japan if she has dual citizenships, which is very likely since her parents are from Japan.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kati Hadford of the US is going to compete at Junior Worlds---for Hungary.

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
Back in the 80's Yvonne Gomez represented Spain in the '88 Calgary Olympics, but she was an American citizen from California who competed in U.S. Nationals from 1984 thru 1987. At one point she was Brian Boitano's girlfriend, and in fact Boitano once dedicated a skating number to her while she was seated in the audience.

Tigger

Final Flight
That's not the only thing Brian did for Yvonne. They had a running joke she would stand up for him and he would stand up for her whenever the one got married and Brian did just that!! I still have the IFS w/Yvonne's wedding pictures and Brian standing w/the bridesmaids. Everyone thought it was a wonderful idea and loved it. I thought that was the true definition of a friend and a very sweet thing to do as well. :)

gio

Medalist
here in brazil.. most of the people don't like this kind of sport.. and is a expencive sport..

For now! But when Brazilians go in a sport they put 100% in it. Look how strong they are in soccer and volleyball (by the way, I'm a huge fan of the Brazilian teams of those two sports ;) ) They are improving also in gymnastics. So there is hope that one day, there will be a Brazilian figure skating champion. Remember how weak was China in FS at the beggining of the '80s? Now it is the strongest country in pairs skating.

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
This reminds me of when Tonya Harding got thrown out and barred from the USFSA and her agent was looking for ways to get her back into skating and he said (he may have been joking) that he was looking into the possibility of her representing Bolivia since they didn't have any skaters.....:laugh:

There was a lady about 10 years ago -- can't remember her name exactly; I want to say Carla Morales or something along that line -- who represented Ecuador at international Adult figure skating competitions.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Yes I know, but Argentina is currently not a ISU member country in figure skating (they are a Provisional Speed Skating Member) -- hopefully they will regain their figure skating status in the near future.

Do you have any more information on ho countries become members of the ISU and how they go from being fully fledged members to only being provisional?

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
Don't forget about Vanessa James who i believe is from teh US but i think its her father who is from the british Virgin Isles and she skates for Britain. She was British Champion last year and silver medalist this year. I believe she represents Britain at junior events.

Ant

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
most of these latin american countries are rather underdevelooped compared to the US, and do not offer the faciliteis or coaching that the US does. Also I doubt that most of them even have national skating unions, clubs, testing etc....