New Barry Mittan article on Curran Oi. | Golden Skate

New Barry Mittan article on Curran Oi.

Thanks SG - Curran really has it all, skating talent and brains. After following the results in JGP, I really expected more from him at the Nats. He was good and showed potential but I really expected a medal, but he was not the only one disappointing me. Mroz was also so so but he got a silver. Also Razzano was so-so for me.

Kanallakan despite his outburst, was super and got a bronze. I still like Adam Rippon who did quite well against the GP group. I also noticed a Jonathan Cassar who I thought would be special in the future.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks SG - Curran really has it all, skating talent and brains. After following the results in JGP, I really expected more from him at the Nats. He was good and showed potential but I really expected a medal, but he was not the only one disappointing me. Mroz was also so so but he got a silver. Also Razzano was so-so for me.

Curran finished 3rd as a Novice last year, and that was his first experience at Nationals. He finished 7th as an Intermediate in 2004 and 6th as a Juvenile in 2003, both at Junior Nationals. I think he did extremely well in the JGP, where the only US skater he faced in the preliminary events was Kanallakan, and he lost to him both times. He lost to Halverson and Mroz at Nationals in Novices last year, and didn't face Halvorsen this year until Nationals; and he didnt face Mroz this year until the JGPF, and lost to him there. I think Curran did very well indeed.

Halverson, Mroz and OI all skated evenly at Nationals, while Kanallakan blew the SP and had to come back from 6th to win.

Kanallakan despite his outburst, was super and got a bronze. I still like Adam Rippon who did quite well against the GP group. I also noticed a Jonathan Cassar who I thought would be special in the future.

Joe

I like Kanallakan and Rippon also.

Jonathan Cassar is not in a good situation. He just turned 20, and is not eligible for international Junior events. If he is unable to medal against the US Juniors, I doubt he would be competitive against Seniors. His best result as a Junior was 8th, last year. He slipped back one place this year.

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I also noticed a Jonathan Cassar who I thought would be special in the future.
BTW, I'm surprised you didn't notice Jonathan Cassar at last year's Nationals (his first-ever trip), Joesitz! ;) -- I think his skating is "special" right now.

I really, really enjoy Cassar's skating -- he's got one of the best, DEEP inside edge spreadeagles I've ever seen (it's a stunning highlight move in his "Concierto de Aranjuez" FS), and he has shown versatility in interpreting and performing to different kinds of music. I thought he reached a new level of choreography by going to David Wilson for his two programs this season.

Thanks for posting the article on Curran Oi (his family name is Japanese, I recently learned). He is young and still developing a "style" -- hopefully he will continue to progress in this area in the year ahead.

After following the results in JGP, I really expected more from him [Oi] at the Nats. He was good and showed potential but I really expected a medal
Pewter is a medal! ;)

ETA: I thought Junior men *ROCKED* in Spokane, in spite of the fact that not every guy skated as well as he had hoped.

Last edited:
I couldn't find my last years notes so I must have forgotten about Cassar. This year, I did find him as special regardless of his age. As you are probably aware I look at potential juniors for Flow, Basics (including edges) and Presentation. I try to ignore the flubs. Even as he moves on to Seniors, I think Cassar will be special.

I think there is a special breed of Junior Men coming up with Oi, Mroz, Halverson and especially Kanalakan at least tht's what I felt in Spokane. What happened in the K&C after the SP skate? He went in and stormed out. Temperment?

I have not given up on Rippon who has all those qualities I look for in a young skater.

Movin on to Seniors: I am not overwhelmed with Carriere, but I do appreciate his consistency and hi level jumping. Unfortunately, Steenberg is not showing his potentional to being competitive. For me, he still is one of the best at basics and presentation but one can not avoid those unnecessary falls. I hope his falls are not consistent.

Joe