How Boring Was the US Nats? | Golden Skate

How Boring Was the US Nats?

Some posters felt the Ladies Division was boring but did not comment on other divisions.

I did not find the Ladies division boring. No, there was no Kwan, no Sasha but then I didn't expect them to be there. I looked at what was offered and the results were fine with me.

I found Ryan Bradley's skate very competitive and I also found the cluster of the newbies fascinating with Abbott making a breakthrough.

I can't understand anyone being bored with Castile and Olkowski. And Evora and Ladwiq were especially wonderful.

For the first time I enjoyed G&P who performed an excellent heavy story telling dance (which I normally dislike).

Any one else who was not bored with Nationals?

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Me.

Bored? Not at all. As you know I watched only the senior ladies (and Caroline's freeskate). I thought it had every bit as much suspense as it did with Kwan and/or Cohen, if not more. Kimmie actually wasn't invincible like MK was at nats, and I felt that added some excitement. The short programs especially were good.

If you want to talk about a "boring" nats, how about last year. I don't remember 2005 being all that great, either. But 2003 and 2004 were exciting.

decker

On the Ice
I think some people watched Nats in an alternate universe. There was plenty of interest, not to mention intrigue, for me.

Come on ... the ladies had an open field! No phoning it in for the winner. And I enjoyed seeing Czisny, Liang and Flatt duke it out for third. Alissa is just breathtaking. (I know, I know ... I am trying not to invest a whole lot of emotional energy there just yet.)

The men had Johnny, Evan and Ryan Bradley's SP costume. Ryan Badley had a great skate, too. And I must say it's nice to see just a look of pure joy and amazement on a medalist's face.

Meryl and Charlie tore it UP in ice dance. I've always liked Gregory & Petrukov, but I may have to change my allegiance.

Rena and John ended up 2nd in pairs. Nam and Leftheris were my favorites. If nothing else, you gotta love those names. Only in America.

And for the gossip hounds, we had Evan and Johnny, Evan and Tanith, Evan and Evan and Evan and Evan ... and John Baldwin's Russian adventure.

Susan

eliza88

On the Ice
I was not at all bored with Nats! There was pretty stiff competition in almost all the fields...how could that be boring?

The newly crowned pairs champs certainly were a highlight for me! Oh that split triple twist!The tension between the top Men after both gave solid SP's AND to see Ryan Bradley skating well! Woo-hoo! The excitement in dance was the unknown FD of B/A, I also love the FD of G/P...but there were other dance teams that also cought my eye. I was so pleased that they showed the Junior Ladies gold and silver medallists!

I think we have been spoiled by outstanding Ladies for a long time and sometimes it is hard to look past that...

I find myself not only looking forward to this years Worlds but also to next season. Some of the 4th and 5th place finishers will be on the Grand Prix circuit next season...names that interest me are Danielle Kahle (she improved alot this year), Jeremy Abbott...I want to see Castile and Okolski, Ryan Bradley, etc.

eliza88

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I am glad this came up Joe, it is soooo good to hear that there are at least some that found it thoroughly worth watching. :agree: I found everything worth it, even the "fluff" seemed to be on target for "sportsman talk" rather than "Entertainment Tonight / Opra" talk. Very little issues with this from "my alter personality" other then a few times the beginning of programmes were talked through - much less then the past IMO - and if they just get the camera persons to stop cutting off skate blades with "tickers and banners" I (can only speak for my TRUE self) will be "happy as a clam."

eta, I would still love no advertisements on the boards but can live with it. Still love to see a scoreboard - not distracting as one might think / no more so then people holding signs in the background.

And do want to mention they were showing Katy during her LP and they cut off her head for a second rather than her skates when she jumped - flying sitspin or a death drop. That was awesome camera work there IMO. I think this coverage they addressed a couple of my suggestions directly. Asking Dick about the name Kiss & Cry, I liked that Dick said the name Kiss & Cry shouldn't matter, he is correct, it shouldn't. Which makes me think it wouldn't make a difference to fans, they would still call it that - like I insist on saying LP opposed to Free Skate, doesn't change the essence of what it is. And comments about how much the whole crew really loved this sport, and specifically said camera crew too. But still don't understand if the "camera crew" love it so much how they continue to cut skates off. Even just putting the ticker on top, or banners that would be on line across into a two line on the sides of the top??? Block out / cover the audience in the background, not the ice. Whatever. It was better IMO and enjoyed more of it then in the past.

Found nothing boring about it, and just a few minor issues that do not effect my love for FS at all. And yes I would rather have little "peeves" then not see it, so I deal - plus a lot that I voice here I don't "feel" myself as much as just suggestions and feedback from others "outside our FS love box."

Last edited:
Not boring AT ALL!

I was very excited to see Bebe and Alyssa exceed themselves - three real challengers for our still rather dull young world champ. Even though she may have been held up, the race was tighter than I expected and bodes well for the near future. I would love to see Bebe stay in the mix.

The Nagasu upset was a total shock!

Seeing Jeremy Abbott skate for the first time was wonderful - before that, I had a feeling about him based on his photographs but you never know. It turns out that he is one of those naturally graceful types with wonderful line and he did an excellent job at his first senior Nats. Can't wait to see how he does at 4CC.

I missed most of the pairs, but lots of drama there too.

Ice dance was a bit underwhelming.

And then the men... an old-fashioned heartbreaker of a competition for Johnny fans. We have to hand it to Evan, but it hurts, bad.

emma

Record Breaker
NOT bored at all -- a bit let down/deflated kind of feeling after the men's and women's comps - but not at all from boredom. My only lasting complaint is not being able to be there and see it all!

kittyjake5

On the Ice
I was not bored at all. The past ladies headliners were not there but it really did not matter. For the first time in a long time the ladies title was to be decided without Kwan and Cohen and I thought that was pretty exciting. Loved the men's competition and the pairs. I have to agree with Spun Silver regarding the ice dancing.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We weren't bored at all. If anything, I wish we could have been there to see it all unfold in person!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
In my opnion, the 2007 natioanls was the best in a long time. The crowd seemd to think so to. It was great knowing that in all the dvision ecxept perhaps dance, the title was anybody for the taking. Yes, kimmie the favorite got it, but not with out having to fight for it. Evan's and Johnny's battle is somthing to be remebered, and so is ryan's silver surprise. Really rocked the night. Maybethe fact that there was no sasha or michelle motivated the other ladies to try harder... because they felt they actually had a chance at this thing. Whatever the reason, it was teh best competion i have seen in a long time. Evan's performnace willcbe remeberd as one of those unforgatable moments. May this be the first of many!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Oh yes, the crowd - a big reason why it was not boring. So wonderful to see full houses making their opinions known! I thought it was cool that they loved Alyssa, Emily and Bebe and were less impressed by the anointed one.

Jhar55

Medalist
I wasn't there but it wasn't boring watching on TV either. The ladies was so close that anyone of the top 3 or 4 could have won and the same with the mens.
No one had such a big lead that there wasn't room if any of the top messed up big that another one couldn't have stepped right up and took the title. Also the same with dance and pairs.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
I was anything but bored! It was great to see so many ladies have such great SP! Yes, the ladies LP was a bit of a mess, but still some good programs. Dance was great, though I did nearly have a heart attack during the FD because I was sooooo nervous for G&P. I was so glad to see them have a great OD & FD and prove that they aren't ready to give up yet. Seeing C&O in pairs was amazing, they are unlike any other US pair I have ever seen. The only discipline I found a little boring was mens, because it was such a hyped match-up between Evan and Johnny, and Evan just completely trounced Johnny. There just wasn't any doubt as to who was going to win. Ryan Bradley was a highlight, though. I've been a fan of his for a few years now and it was thrilling to see him put together two great programs. And to see the joy and excitement on his face.

Cal Girl

Rinkside
Nats this year was definitely not boring.
I watched most of the events and the final flight in the ladies, mens and pairs were awesome. The pairs short programs were amazing this year and even the LP's were not the typical splatfests of the past.
You could see that nerves and inexperience hindered some of the senior ladies but seeing Alyssa skate that program erased all bad performances from her record. Kimmie was ok, a little boring - I like her unassuming ways but she needs to reach the audience somehow. Emily was good, no doubt but her clunky style is just not for me. Dani had a great skate and I was happy for her but she seems a little Diva like.
The pairs were awesome. Seeing a QUAD in warm-up was amazing. That Vise girl is an amazing gutsy chick! Ben and Brooke were entrancing - I could have cared less that the didn't do a sbs 3. Their program just took you away. Jon and Rena, well, maybe it is time to consider a retirement. maybe after worlds. Thank you for all you have done for the sport btw! Nam and Lef have amazing jumps and I hope she can control her landings on the throws because they could be our best hope for the future in pairs.
The men, OMG the Men were great. All of the podium winners were awesome. Even Johnny despite is Diva Drama was outstanding. He is just like Sasha, every thing he does is done so well, it just didnt earn the points - he needs to go back and think about levels a little more. I have no doubt he will be on fire at Worlds. And so nice for another fresh face, Jeremy Abbott to surprise us all with such fluidity and grace and musical interpretation. wow for a first year at senior nationals.
Evan, Wow that was fun to watch and Ryan that was Pure Joy! That is exactly what everyone wants to see. An underdog get the glory and surprise even himself and his coaches and share that excitement with the crowd. No one who was there will forget what it is like to experience that moment with him. Thank you for that wonderful memory.
Even the Junior ladies and Junior Men were fabulous, lots of talent deep into the lower ranks. It just gets better every year.

Lipinskifan19

Rinkside
I didn't think it was boring either! :) The battle between Johnny and Evan was exciting and the ladies comp still interested me as much as ever. Ok so I wasn't pacing or feeling my heart in my throat when someone jumped but it was still exciting. I loved Emily and Alissa!

wow..I really need to change my siggy LOL

clonesheep

Rinkside
Top 10 reasons the Nationals were not boring (in no particular order):

1. Brooke and Ben (I guess that's how they will be called in the future)
2. Alissa Czisny
3. Ryan Bradley
4. Evan Lysacek
5. Juliana Canarrozo
6. Danielle Khale
7. Johnny Weir breaking down at K&C
8. Evan dating Tanith
9. The juniors
10. It's a real Nationals, not a Michellefest

R.D.

Record Breaker
One gets the feeling from this thread that the majority actually DIDN'T think nats was boring. I think it was just a small but vocal minority. :agree:

skater 17

Rinkside
US Nationals was great to watch, there is some much talent that it is a nail bitter till the end. "Great to see the venue full of fans"

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
For me the one that was least exciting were the ladies. I don't know how it was in Spokane, but I was tired of the over-hype of the ladies event on ESPN... I would have much rather seen a few more pairs... like the fourth place team. Amanda and Mark worked too hard not to be shown!

Dance just about killed me... as did men... so glad I wasnt there (and yet so bummed) I seriously would have been freaking.