How Boring Was the US Nats? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

How Boring Was the US Nats?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Wouldn't get on Meissner's case for the controversy because it wasn't her fault. It's on the callers for being inconsistent...Rachel's looked more rotated than Kimmie's, so I'd say either downmark both, ratify both or downmark Kimmie's and ratify Rachel's. THAT's the problem I had with it.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I did enjoy this Nats a lot. Actually, it's a relief not having Kwan there as I was such an Uberfan that I could not relax. I thought the upsets were a lot of fun (tho not, of course, for the victims). I loved seeing the newer skaters for once. I also enjoyed seeing the development of Kimmie, Alyssa, Emily, Evan. Sorry for Weir as I love his skating above all others but it's time for him to get it together or become a model. Only problem for me was I cannot stand Browning. He is so cloying (IMO).

waxel

Final Flight
I enjoyed Nats too. Well, enjoyed watching it on TV. Compare it to the dismal Euro's and ... well there is no comparison.

The Dance and the Mens comp were exceptional. The Ladies LP left me a bit cold. But perhaps, CoP does make it nearly impossible to skate a clean program-- ladies especially. You gotta admit ... it was a bit of a splatfest. I could blame the skaters. But no thanks, I'll blame CoP.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Let's hope Four Continents is the same way with all this new sudden "star power". Of course, we know from the Olympic Games and last year's worlds that "star power" doesn't necessarily guarantee a great competition.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, I think it's more the forum hype than anything. I know from experience you don't even need to see a skater perform before you just get tired of hearing about her. Don't feel this way about Rachel (more about Caroline Zhang though) but just suggesting.

RD - Best thing to do is avoid reading about a skater and not listen to the praise of new talent coming up from the minor leagues. You will be hearing much about Musademba coming into next season. She's due for a blast of forum hype (your words) which will blow your mind.

Joe

Nigel

On the Ice
Peggy does that with Kimmie too. I was a little blank on Rachael's LP in particular - looked at it as a growth potential thing. But I would compare Flatt to someone like Flirth or "Bula" and say where is the expression, attitude, life. They (Taylor and Melissa) have presence in spades. But as I am in belief she (Rach) can gain some of that. I was Just happy to see them all in better resolution so as to compare things like that. There are very few skaters I am sick of though.;)

I think some of the differences we saw in Flatt's skating maybe due somewhat to different choreographers. We really enjoyed her SP...very light, youthful, and well executed...choreographed by Lori Nichol. Her LP was slower, more laboured...no, maybe more that she was still "thinking" her way through the program....choreographed by Tom Dickson. Also, after watching the reruns on ESPN the other night, we realized that Flatt probably waited 8-9 minutes after Alissa skated before the announcer called her name. Don't know how many of us could have stood up under that kind of pressure or scrutiny in front of 9-10,000 people. And the kid is 14 yrs old. Skating in the final flight at her first time at the championship level, she did a commendable job. Yup, she needs time to mature, grow a little more, gain some speed in her skating. Taylor and Melissa B had less difficult programs planned (Flatt had planned 7 triples) so maybe they could put more of themselves in terms of expression in to their programs. They are also physically bigger than Flatt, so they fill the ice alittle better. Different styles of skaters, different types of music.... from our perspective, that's all. Each of those skaters brings unique qualities to the ice. Let's celebrate that and not be so critical!

Well, I think it's more the forum hype than anything. I know from experience you don't even need to see a skater perform before you just get tired of hearing about her.
But that's why these forums exist in the first place. Gush for your favorites, speculate about the new talent coming up. It's what we're here for!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But that's why these forums exist in the first place. Gush for your favorites, speculate about the new talent coming up. It's what we're here for!
I totally agree with your statement. What on earth would we talk about if we didn't gush or argue??

Dee

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Why in the heck did you pick my quote to end your post with..
....not be so critical!

????? Compare, speculate and even see potential. But critical??? I doubt the posters who usually come after me saw that as critical.???

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
You're hearing it here - Leng in Juniors next year. She was the only Novice with a full compliment of triples (minus 3A) and the only one with a 3/3. She zoned in the SP or else would have finished higher than pewter!!!

I was NOT bored! I missed most of the pairs, caught dance on a repeat of the highlights. The ladies competition was quite interesting, I thought, with the "newbies" (so to speak) vying for the top spots. I was very pleased that Alyssa Cizny pulled up to third.

The mens was definitely a good comp. How could you not get caught up in Evan's skate and his emotion afterwards.

I think the "boring" question does not apply to the people who saw the competition in person or to enthusiastic figure skating fans who read internet forums like this one. To us, obviously this was an incredibly exciting event.

However, for the casual channel-flipper who might have caught some of the coverage on TV, there were some problems. Only the ladies competition was given much coverage, so you had to already be in the know to care about Lysacek versus Weir or to be immpressed that Castile and Okolski upset Inoue and Baldwin.

As for the ladies LP, Kimmie backed into the championship with a uninspiring effort, Emily fell, Bebe and Rachael did not skate up to the level of their short programs and Katy bombed. The only good performance ended up with bronze, no doubt leaving a lot of casual fans and non-fans saying, what the hey, I liked that girl, why didn't she win?

nubka

Final Flight
I thought Nationals was exciting this year! I do wish that Cohen had competed, though. With her lack of serious training time this season, I don't think it would have been a "sure thing" for her at all, and I would have loved to see her duke it out with the other top ladies...

Only the ladies competition was given much coverage, so you had to already be in the know to care about Lysacek versus Weir
Actually I thought that, on the night of the LP, the Weir-Lysacek rivalry was if anything over-hyped. At least if folks were channel surfing then they would have seen a lot of personality-focused coverage and ads. But maybe you mean advance publicity?