Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Most have it in different ways

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Most that seem to have it are just faking it well

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Coming up as a topic regarding some skaters ability to have charisma and curiosity of peoples' perception has become very interesting. Talked with 5 people personally and their ideas start out one way and then start changing ever so slightly. So thought I would do a little poll with the desire for thoughts from anyone.

Might be more poll questions, feel fee to ad you thoughts as always.

Last edited:

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Totally born with it. Sometimes, it just doesn't show it'self until later on, because of an increased amount of a supressed amount of confidance, IMO.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Totally born with it. Sometimes, it just doesn't show it'self until later on, because of an increased amount of a supressed amount of confidance, IMO.
Like Hitler and Mohammed Ali? suppressed to start then ...history?

I know strange comparisons, but upbringings were similar and without signs of charisma to start, yet latter in life we saw it. They both also had different styles, so different morals AND effects with their charisma. But both used the similar forum of public speaking.

David Bowie is also someone I see in that suppressed to start but later in life....

I think we need a good Psychology definition of charisma first before we discuss.
Psychology - I think might have different definitions dependent on the study. What, why, how it is conducted. So I am thinking open ended to see what people naturally feel opposed to "influenced." I maybe misunderstanding you though Joe??

Dictionary
2. a spiritual power or personal quality that gives an individual influence or authority over large numbers of people.
3. the special virtue of an office, function, position, etc., that confers or is thought to confer on the person holding it an unusual ability for leadership, worthiness of veneration, or the like.

The first definition was theology, so I left it out because this is what the topic really is about, what is GS members Theology of charisma.

So other then there being different levels of - like some musicians are notable more gifted than others, yet still in the same group as being able to give enjoyable music, just on different levels - wanted to leave it open ended for GS members POV.

IOW, that is what I thought the discussion might go into. Like gio brought up Mx Weber, where I would see his theories outdated with the changes in society - not lacking in some remarkable POVs though. Wanting to see more what people have come to believe themselves. And even where some of these thoughts came from.

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My definition of someone with charisma is............Ryan Bradley.

Dee

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
I think it is definitely something you are born with. The only skater of my generation that I can think of off the top of my head that was really, truly charismatic is Tiffany Stiegler. She oozed charisma like no one else I've ever seen.

goodbyemylover

Rinkside
Hmm, when I think of charisma in regards to the "big name" skaters, I always think Alexei Yagudin or Jeff Buttle.

Yagudin had some brilliance about his personality that added to what he had on the ice. So many people love him, and years after his retirement, it hasn't changed.

Buttle's skating style is lovely, but I think he's charismatic off ice. His interviews are fast paced, and he always knows just what to say. The way he speaks and what he says really add to his likability as well.

chinesechanfan

Rinkside
theory to charisma and artistry.

i have developed a personal theory/principle to charisma and artistry.
to me, artistry can be taught, but charisma comes from within.
im not saying that charisma is inborned (in fact, i think that everyone has charisma, if not, then those ppl cant feel any or cant respond to any emotions), but charisma is developed from a balance between character, choice and society.
now, you might think: society? how society? well, to HAVE charisma, you need to have personality in the first place. and its developed from your childhood. every since you receive your first touch from your mother. the fun time you have before any of school and skating started. the hearts you've broken, the ppl who broke your hearts. have you ever cried really hard on something, did you ever have your heart broken, have you ever been scared, have you ever scared anyone.... those kind of things.
charisma and artistry goes hand in hand in figure skating. if you have character, then you have charisma, if you have charisma, then you will develop musicality (but you need to know how to respond to the emotions and the beat and rhythm to the music). if you know musicality, then in time, ppl will notice your artistry on the ice.
most ppl who make original in dancing and acting and music and even figure skating have a pattern or tendency of thinking things that are not about the things they are doing (thinking outside the box). for example, you would not find a new skating move just from thinking about other skating moves.
also, to make you different from everyone else (if im saying this, im implying that everyone is different in their unique ways), you need to just be yourself. express yourself. expose your inner true feelings, your deepest, most intimate desire when you perform. even if your music is telling you otherwise, make connections to it.
theres a saying that i think its very true to performing arts in general (and i would include skating in this):dance to express, not impress. if you try to do a whole bunch of moves but with no feelings or no connection to the audience, chances are, even if its a very difficult move, no one is gonna notice you. when performing, just be yourself and not any other. like i said: everyone is special in their own unique ways.
when i watch figure skating on TV nowadays, im not seeing charisma like it used to be before, im seeing dance to impress, some not even dancing. its just acrobats. its very rare to see artistic skaters to have those kind of charisma. like one in about 20 after seeing Worlds in Toyko. it wasnt like that in the old system. in the old system, ppl who are actually seen on tv are actually pretty exciting. but now, it just seems that in an uneducated eye (im meaning a person who doesnt know skating) one would be very bored of it.
on the flip side though, under the old system, ppl do the same easy stuff (technically i mean) over and over. the difference between them is that they make them "exciting" where as in the CoP system..... well nothing really changed..... except the stuff are techically harder but less excitement.
now in international skating, ppl just seems so up tight and nervous in every competitions i see. but those who play it smart by doing simple moves that they are not good at and showcasing their strong suit seems to be killing out a lot of other skaters.
charisma and artistry has no definite answer to it, no inborn talent, no enforcements and teaching or ....whatever. but in my theory, charisma come within and without as well. everyone is spontaneous at some point, and if ppl just let loose and be themselves at some point, they will develop magic and charisma and artistry on the ice.