Open letter to Ottavio Cinquanta | Golden Skate

Open letter to Ottavio Cinquanta

bems

Rinkside
Thanks for posting this. It is a must read for anyone who loves the sport.

Looking at Sonia's points, the Grade of Execution factor was certainly under scrutiny in Halifax during the the booing in the Senior Mens short program.

The fact that results seem to be quite predictable and qualifying structures exclude developing and promising young skaters of the early opportunity of being seen and gaining valuable competitve experience indicate that the sport is losing its amatuer status.

I agree with Sonia, why would the TV audience watch boring and uninteresting programs that look like photocopies.

For all of us, if you love figure skating, question where you can, support where you can and continue volunteering and working to make it an inclusive rather than exclusive sport.

Last edited:

Linny

Final Flight
long

Too verbose. $peedy will never make it through to the end.
Linny

decker

On the Ice
Too verbose. $peedy will never make it through to the end.
Linny

And it's a shame ... she buried her best line near the bottom.

"A triple Axel with two fingers into the skater's nose would definitely be more difficult than the usual triple Axel, but could we consider that an improvement?"

Susan

gkelly

Record Breaker
"A triple Axel with two fingers into the skater's nose would definitely be more difficult than the usual triple Axel, but could we consider that an improvement?"

Two fingers from the same hand, or one from each hand? I think that would make all the difference.

gio

Medalist
I'm so boring, because I always repeat the same sentence, but IMO COP as it is now is killing originality and blocking the evolution of FS! How could one invent a new move, if it is all already pre-determinated? And the programs are so mechanical. Count the spinning revolution, count the seconds in a spiral, do a jump after the second half of the program. It's all becoming mechanical. Music doesn't dictate the programs anymore! Free programs are not free anymore.
Something has to change, before is too late.

rain

Record Breaker
I disagree that there have been no memorable and beautiful programs since the inception of COP. Jeff Buttle's programs are materpieces, Rochette's Firebird, Cohen's R&J from the Olympics was a beautiful program, she just didn't skate her best. Pairs has bored me, but I think that was basically due to the teams competing, not necessarily the programs. I think ice dance has largely improved. Cohen's Malguena. And that's just off the top of my head.

Also, she fails to take into consideration that the programs she's naming pre-COP come from a much longer timeline than the post-COP era. After 50 years under COP, let's see how many great programs one could name.

Further, I don't necessarily think the regression of the quad is a bad thing. Does she not remember pre-COP when all other elements and choreography was basically thrown by the wayside in the quest for the almighty quad or two or three? Men's skating was painfully boring.

I'm not saying that there aren't changes that I'd like to see in COP, namely in rules surrounding spins, which have become repetitive and ugly. Spirals always were somewhat repetitive and some ladies can do them well, some can't.

gio

Medalist
IMO, choreoghraphy suffers under COP.
Sasha Cohen and Shizuka Arakawa did programs that were already prepared for the 6.0 system. These two skaters grew in the 6.0 system.
We have to judge the effect of COP on new skaters.

rain

Record Breaker
Sasha Cohen and Shizuka Arakawa did programs that were already prepared for the 6.0 system. These two skaters grew in the 6.0 system.
We have to judge the effect of COP on new skaters.

This is simply untrue. Had Arakawa and Cohen not specifically choreographed for COP it would have been a losing strategy.

As for judging the effect of COP on new skaters, it's too soon to tell.

gio

Medalist
For example, once it was interesting to watch the whole competition. Now, not! To me the programs look pretty much the same. Maybe it's me that I'm weird or strange, but I can't enjoy anymore the programs. There were just four programs of the all ladies field that I really liked last year = 1.Sasha - Dark Eyes, 2.Irina - Totentanz, 3.Shizuka - Turandot, 4.Sasha - R and J. In the men field I liked Mathhew Savoie and Shawn Sawyer. They had originality. Dance, I liked the french Delobel/Shonfelder. That is pretty much all of the last season.

Of the 2002 Olympics I really like at least 10 programs of the ladies field.

Last edited:

gio

Medalist
Actually, the CoP gives a 1 point bonus for a new or innovative move.

As far as I know, this has never been awarded.

But why would you do a difficult double walley, if it is just worth one point? Less than a double toe loop.

Last edited:
With honest judging, I really think a winner in any given competition can be named for that competition only. Even the casual fan can pick the winner.

However, in close races, I do believe the CoP can handle the fine tuning better to arrive at a winner. And with a good explanation by the known judges, the fans would easily accept the results.

I think also, that Sonia is talking about the given points for the elements that are permitted and the Grades of Execution which are just about whimsical since they rarely come up with a unanimous decision.

For me, figure skating has lost its flow. Those tough jumps are invariably landed without any flow. So many skaters finish them with a hooked on landings, if not two footed. I'm not talking about underrotations - just rotation completed jumps that do not flow out. Consequently, the flow of moving on with the routine is gone.

The spin combos and convoluted positions (thanks to all those Swiss skaters)never seem to me to be with any outflow. Nothing like an all the way down sitspin and a perfect camel position.

Points, Points, Points are more important in today's contests than performances.
I think Sonia means well, but I doubt any action will be taken on her advice.

Joe

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
When is Cinquanta up for reelection? Perhaps its either:

1. Time for a new leader
2. TIme for figure skating to break off from speed skating

gio

Medalist
When is Cinquanta up for reelection? Perhaps its either:

1. Time for a new leader
2. TIme for figure skating to break off from speed skating

Completely agree!!!

Back to COP. If a skater wants to show a simple camel position, he/she can't because he/she will receive just a level1. And don't say that he/she can receive a +3 or even a +2 GOE to compensate, because we know how generous the judges are in giving GOEs. So skaters are starting to do difficult varitions of positions, bust most of them are doing it in a wrong way, or sacrificing speed or travelling. Anyway this is rewarded. The skater will receive a level3 or 4 with a 0 GOE. So, what teaches COP in regard of spins? The motto is "better doing a wrong, slow, travelling, ugly but difficult spin, rather than a beautiful, quick and centered but simple spin".

Last edited:

Jhar55

Medalist
Like $peey cares about skating and that he know nothing about figure skating is not a big supries to anyone. His only intrest is Speed Skating riding the coat tails of Figure Skating for the $$$$'s
Blud Dog your correct figure Skating needs to get rid of $peedy and break away from Speed Skating the 2 just have no connection expect for a pair of skates and ice.
Another reason for low ticket buyer is the cost I just got the flyer for next years nationals tickets start at $895 - $495 depending on where you sit that's not counting your exhibition ticket, and if you go the way I do through a travel agent it starts at $1921 - $2301 depending on double or single and where you want to sit.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Another reason for low ticket buyer is the cost I just got the flyer for next years nationals tickets start at $895 - $495 depending on where you sit that's not counting your exhibition ticket, and if you go the way I do through a travel agent it starts at $1921 - $2301 depending on double or single and where you want to sit.

I agree with that but am running into a different issue with 4CC in the Springs this weekend with $5-25 dollar tickets for the Ladies LP.