These are what top 4 at Olympics should have been! | Golden Skate

These are what top 4 at Olympics should have been!

temperboy28

Match Penalty
These should have been the results of the Olympics:

1)Totmianina/Marinin
2)Pang/Tong-so robbed
3)Shen/Zhou
4)Zhang/Zhang-pity medal for courage

1)Navka/Kostomarov
2)Delobel/Schoenfeldner-robbed as usual
3)Denkova/Stavinski-judges screwed them over
4)Belbin/Agosto

1)Plushenko
2)Savoie-always underrated
3)Takahashi-totally ripped off in long program scores
4)Lambiel-fell on like half of his jumps, as did Buttle

1)Suguri-made same mistakes/jumps as Arakawa, better skater then Shizuka
2)Cohen
3)Slutskaya
4)Arakawa-same mistakes/jumps as Suguri, not nearly as good a skater

temperboy28

Match Penalty
Suguri has always been a better skater then Arakawa. Look at their head to head, Suguri wins 80% of the time. Yet at the Olympics they go there and do the same jumps, both made a similar mistake in the long, and Shizuka is suddenly the one 16 points higher? :laugh: It is obvious the Japanese federation chose Arakawa as the one to support and not Suguri, but Suguri has always been the better skater, look at their history.

Arakawa's skating is just jumps for me. Her posture is horrable, her spins are slow, her spirals arent even real spirals, her footwork is nowhere near Fumie's, she is reserved and does not relate to music or the audience.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty

Arakawa's skating is just jumps for me. Her posture is horrable, her spins are slow, her spirals arent even real spirals, her footwork is nowhere near Fumie's, she is reserved and does not relate to music or the audience.

Well, I'm sure you are the only and last one on this board who would think Arakawa has horrible posture. Good posture and excellent line are certainly not the strong suit of Suguri.

Arakawa's spiras aren't even real spirals?? LOL. She actually has one of the best, if not THE best spirals in the world, certainly 200 times better than Fumie's. Arakawa also has excellent footwork and spins.

:love: :love:

Last edited:

temperboy28

Match Penalty
Suguri vs Arakawa career head to head:

95 Junior Japanese Championships - Arakawa 1st, Suguri 10th
96 Junior Japanese Championships- Arakawa 1st, Suguri 2nd
96 World Junior Championships- Arakawa 7th, Suguri 4th
96 NHK Trophy- Arakawa 7th, Suguri 6th
97 Junior Japanese Championships- Arakawa 1st, Suguri 2nd
97 World Junior Championships- Arakawa 8th, Suguri 4th
97 Japanese Championshps- Arakawa 2nd, Suguri 1st
97 NHK Trophy- Arakawa 6th, Suguri 5th
98 Japanese Championahips- Arakawa 1st, Suguri 2nd
98 NHK Trophy- Arakawa 8th, Suguri 3rd
99 Japanese Championships- Arakawa 1st, Suguri 2nd
2000 Japanese Championships- Arakawa 3rd, Suguri 5th
2001 Japanese Championships- Arakawa 2nd, Suguri 1st
2001 Four Continents- Arakawa 6th, Suguri 1st
2002 Japanese Championshps- Arakawa 2nd, Suguri 1st
2002 NHK Trophy- Arakawa 3rd, Suguri 4th
2003 Japanese Championships- Arakawa 3rd, Suguri 1st
2003 Asian Games - Arakawa 1st, Suguri 2nd
2003 Four Continents- Arakawa 2nd, Suguri 1st
2003 GP final - Arakawa 4th, Suguri 6th
2003 World Championships - Arakawa 8th, Suguri 3rd
2004 GP final - Arakawa 3rd, Suguri 1st
2004 Japanese Nationals- Arakawa 3rd, Suguri 2nd
2004 World Championships- Arakawa 1st, Suguri 7th
2005 World Championships - Arakawa 9th, Suguri 5th
2006 Japanese Nationals- Arakawa 3rd, Suguri 1st

Going into the 2006 Olympics Suguri leads 16-10 head to head. Yet with both skating with the same jumps and the same 1 mistake in the long Arakawa is a whopping 16 points ahead all of the sudden.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Scott Hamilton commentating on Arakawa at the 98 Olympics-"if you follow figure skating in the United States, you would probably think she is a junior or even novice skater by just the way she carries herself, posture, line." She has come a long way since then. I think she is more of a late bloomer then Suguri.

Vegas Sandy

Spectator
It just goes to show you that the new judging system isn't any better than the old one. It still can be manipulated and they can still have whomever they want come out on top. I'm not dissing Shizuka. I think she's a lovely lady, but I do think Fumie should have been rated higher.

Shizuka just PMed me to say that she saw this thread and decided that the only fair thing to do was to give her gold medal back to Speedy and return the 100,000,000 yen that she has earned so far on exhibitions, personal appearances and endorsements.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Shizuka deserved her gold medal, no question in my mind. She skated with much better flow and polish and speed than Suguri did at the Olympics. Fumie's Olympic season programs were not good vehicles for her and they did not show off the finest aspects of her skating.

temperboy28

Match Penalty
Shizuka deserved her gold medal, no question in my mind. She skated with much better flow and polish and speed than Suguri did at the Olympics. Fumie's Olympic season programs were not good vehicles for her and they did not show off the finest aspects of her skating.

Is that the superior flow, speed, and polish Shizuka has used to lose to Suguri in 16 of their 26 head to head competitions? Most of the times coming when Suguri either made big mistakes, or when both were juniors.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Is that the superior flow, speed, and polish Shizuka has used to lose to Suguri in 16 of their 26 head to head competitions? Most of the times coming when Suguri either made big mistakes, or when both were juniors.

I didn't say that OVERALL Shizuka has better flow, speed and polish than Fumie (though I think she does, anyway), but she did when it mattered at the Olympics. Fumie had no spark in her skating in Torino, and like I said perhaps it was her programs that did her in. The did not highlight the good flow and smoothness and lightness that she has in her skating. Shizuka's program fit her better and as a result, she presented it better and deservingly won the gold medal.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Suguri #1? Arakawa #4? Were we watching the same Olys? ::) :rofl:

Absolutely not.

Any "case" that doesn't have Arakawa in first is seriously flawed. She deserved the win. The question is whether suguri deserved to be on the podium or not. And with 2 falls Cohen's 2nd place is definitely questionable to many.

But that's all I'm gonna say in this thread. This is long over and I feel no need to really re-hash what has already happened.

jennylovskt

Medalist
These should have been the results of the Olympics:

1)Totmianina/Marinin
2)Pang/Tong-so robbed
3)Shen/Zhou
4)Zhang/Zhang-pity medal for courage

1)Navka/Kostomarov
2)Delobel/Schoenfeldner-robbed as usual
3)Denkova/Stavinski-judges screwed them over
4)Belbin/Agosto

1)Plushenko
2)Savoie-always underrated
3)Takahashi-totally ripped off in long program scores
4)Lambiel-fell on like half of his jumps, as did Buttle

1)Suguri-made same mistakes/jumps as Arakawa, better skater then Shizuka
2)Cohen
3)Slutskaya
4)Arakawa-same mistakes/jumps as Suguri, not nearly as good a skater

The only part that I agree with you is the pairs' placement. Zhang/Zhang should get 4th. In other disciplines, I think the Olympics results were fair.

Although I was sad for Slutskaya and Cohen, and wished either one of them could win over Arakawa, Arakawa deserved gold. In my opinion, she is a much more inspiring skater than Suguri. For the reason unknown, Suguri's skating never moved me much.

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
I love love love Fumie's skating, but there is no way she should have been ahead of Shizuka in Turino. Not with that long program.

Regardless, I think both are wonderful skaters who likely challenged each other to become even better.

I agree with the wuzrobbing of Pang and Tong though. :eek:hwell:

temperboy28

Match Penalty
Shen/Zhou and Zhang/Zhang both had nice pity stories. Shen/
/Zhou the big comeback from the major foot injury he had. Zhang /Zhang with that fall early in the long program-being allowed to take a break and resume, and her good acting to exagerrate the injury as well helping their scores. Sorry if that sounds cynical or even cruel, it is what I saw.

I remember sitting watching it with my boyfriend and he was telling me, "no way the Zhangs medal, they will be maybe 4th, but probably 5th below Petrova/Tikhonov." I said "no you wait, they are the judges darlings and they now have a chance to make a huge story of courage and an inspiring medal, they will prop them up and give them the silver." That is what they did of course.
I was surprised Pang/Tong were scored below Shen/Zhou though, that is when I could already tell they did not have the judges on their side as they clearly had the better performance that day.

Mafke

Medalist
As for the Suguri/Arakawa head-to-head record.

I'd say that Suguri was much more consistent than Arakawa but that the range of her skating is narrower than Arakawa's.
Arakawa was a much more inconsistent competitor (no secret there) but when the stars were aligned just right and she was on she could be wonderful and outperform Suguri, which is what happened in Turin.

So, Suguri rarely had disastrous skates (something Arakawa was all to familiar with) but at her best, she could not quite reach the heights Arakawa could at her best.

In other words, let's use a grade metaphor. Suguri was like a consistent B+/A- skater while Arakawa lunged around from D to A+. Suguri will have the higher GPA but not quite get Arakawa's best grades.