Your Favorite Music This Season... | Golden Skate

Your Favorite Music This Season...

nubka

Final Flight
Out of all the programs floating around out there this season, which piece of music is your favorite so far?

My vote goes to Katie Taylor's LP music, Theme & Variations. I was SO excited when I heard it at Nationals. I'm a big fan of the Balanchine ballet, and during Katie's skate, I had visions of Gelsey Kirkland dancing through my head...wonderful!!

I also like the Aimele selections from Belbin & Agosto's FD, although I'm not so sure about the choregoraphy yet...

What piece of music really sends you so far this year?

ITA re: the Tschaikovsky - I love that ballet too and the music is just heartachingly beautiful. A marvelous choice by Katy and I hope she can skate up to it soon.

I also love S/Z's Meditation - that piece is beautiful and they own it, thanks to the perfect combo of sensitive choreography, technique and emotion. I wish Zhang had chosen a different LP because as exquisite as she is, she is not ready to compete with S/Z yet!

I want to be talk about some of the odder choices too but I'll respect the topic and save it.

nubka

Final Flight
ITA re: the Tschaikovsky - I love that ballet too and the music is just heartachingly beautiful. A marvelous choice by Katy and I hope she can skate up to it soon.

I also love S/Z's Meditation - that piece is beautiful and they own it, thanks to the perfect combo of sensitive choreography, technique and emotion. I wish Zhang had chosen a different LP because as exquisite as she is, she is not ready to compete with S/Z yet!

I want to be talk about some of the odder choices too but I'll respect the topic and save it.

No problem. Let's talk about odd, too!

I felt like Rachael Flatt's LP music was an odd choice for her. Too grown up and sophisticated.

amr927

Rinkside
I love Yu-Na Kim's LP to "The Lark Ascending". That's always been one of my favorite pieces of classical music, so it's wonderful to see it used for such a beautiful program. :)

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
I love the music that Gregory & Petukhov are using for their FD this year. Its really different for them, unique and interesting and really lends itself to a creative program.

rain

Record Breaker
Valse Tristese that Virtue/ Moir use for their FD is a favorite of mine. I love Rochette's Hendrix piece. Love Meissner's FS music.

Arianne

On the Ice
First thought that came to my mind was Gregory and Petukov's FD, Adam and Eve. It is glorious music and just builds all the way to the end. It works well for this team.

Also love Jeff's new LP music. It is interesting and he just is magic on the ice.

Arianne

hyoo

Rinkside
I love Mao Asada's SP Nocturne by Chopin. Glorious choice for her.

I wish her long program music was just a beat slower. I like Czardas as music for her, but I prefer a less frantic version.

No problem. Let's talk about odd, too!

I felt like Rachael Flatt's LP music was an odd choice for her. Too grown up and sophisticated.
Well - I was a bit taken aback by the music Abbott used in his SP. I don't remember what it was or who it was by, but it had no melody, just a beat that went on. And on. And on. And on. What was he thinking? Thank heavens he switched to Bach for the LP.

Wasn't Flatt's music Gershwin? I didn't care for it - not because it was too sophisticated, but because her choreography was sprinkled with lots of cutesy little moves that detracted from her skate, for me. I liked her a lot, though. Can't believe she's only 14.

I can't comment on Katy's nose, but I enjoyed her skating in the SP!

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
I love Duke Ellington's "Caravan" that Bebe is using this year. Very exciting music that I've never heard in skating before.

The Lark Ascending is also one of my favorites this season.

gio

Medalist
As music per se, so regardless of the skater

Amelie soundtrack
Apocalyptica cellos
Tango de Roxanne
Whisper from the Mirror
Prelude and Quadukka of Jesse Cook
Nocturne by Secret Garden
Last of the Mohicans soundtrack
Concerto de Aranjuez

Last edited:
More on Jeremy Abbott's odd music choice (presumably this is "Dead Already" from American Beauty... weird). I was watching while my bf was asleep. When it's turned up, you can hear there is a little something going on in the music. Nonetheless it is hypnotic. But he got a standing O, so he can obviously bring it to life!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeRPrmR6F3A

ETA: Maybe this was inspired by Stephanie Rosenthal?

Back to faves: I know somebody is threatening to commit murder if there is another "Mission" skate but I love this music when Savchenko/Szolkowy are skating to it. They own it now.

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
More on Jeremy Abbott's odd music choice (presumably this is "Dead Already" from American Beauty... weird). I was watching while my bf was asleep. When it's turned up, you can hear there is a little something going on in the music. Nonetheless it is hypnotic.
"Hypnotic" it definitely is and I really like this original choice of music ("American Beauty" soundtrack) by Abbott.

Maybe this was inspired by Stephanie Rosenthal?
I don't think so. Abbott is *very* involved in his own program music choices and choreography and has shown versatility over the years -- for example, he used a cool medley of techno pieces by Safri Duo for his FS when he won the Junior title in 2005, compared to a more "classical" approach with his Mozart/Kreisler FS this season.

Abbott is *very* involved in his own program music choices and choreography and has shown versatility over the years -- for example, he used a cool medley of techno pieces by Safri Duo for his FS when he won the Junior title in 2005, compared to a more "classical" approach with his Mozart/Kreisler FS this season.
Oh, you caught me. I took it for Bach. What has happened to my ear... or attention span? :sheesh:

Wonderful to know about his hands-on approach to his music.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Oh, you caught me. I took it for Bach. What has happened to my ear... or attention span? :sheesh:
Nothing wrong with your ear -- it sounds like it could be Bach (Baroque-style). Abbott's exact FS pieces are: Mozart’s "Symphony No. 25 in G minor" and Fritz Kreisler’s “Praeludium and Allegro.”

Wonderful to know about his hands-on approach to his music.
AND he does his own music editing.

Hmmm, maybe I should cross-post all of this in the thread you started for Abbott? ;)

Back on topic... at U.S. Nationals, I really liked Taylor Firth's upbeat/lively SP music to "The Road to My Heart" by Patrick Williams and “Capone” by Ronan Hardiman; Braden Overett's Latin-style SP to the "Havana" soundtrack; Craig Ratterree's jazzy SP to "Where's Bubba"? by Roomful of Blues; and Erin Reed's "She Left Home" by Djam & Fam (choreographed by Stephanee Grosscup who choreographed Stephanie Rosenthal's "Rockit"/robot SP last season) -- just to name a few.

I've watched Ballanchine's take on Tschaikowsky's Theme and Variations for more years than I'd like to admit. I have never heard it used in figure skating until there was Katy Taylor who did a nice routine to it. But she had her problems.

Joe