Prize Money in Figure Skating | Golden Skate

Prize Money in Figure Skating

GBerberoglu

Rinkside
What is your opinions about funny prize moneys in isu grand prix ?
(That discussion started at this thread)

European Champ. Prize money *:
1. $22.000
2. $16.500
3. $11.000
4-10. $3.300
11-24. $2.200
Total Ladies: $103.400
Total Men: $103.400

to contrast with Tennis tournaments total prize *:
Tier III ~$200.000
Tier II >$600.000
Tier 1 > 1.500.000 to 4M

I know FS is not popular as tennis, but difference between prize moneys are incredible.

Evgeni Plushenko says that: “I’ve won all the titles a figure skater can win. But you can’t make much money if you’re an amateur. The prize money in Grand Prix amounts to five thousand U.S. dollars only. And I have a family to support. Therefore, I’ve made a decision to join the professional sport. I will do business, I will take part in some ice shows in Russia and North America,”*

Last edited:

GBerberoglu

Rinkside
How's the money in ice hockey?

For 2007 IIHF EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS CUP *,

800.000 CHF = 650.000 USD, distributed to top 6 team:

Winner 45 % ~$292.500
Runner-up 25 % ~$162.500
3rd, 4th 10 % ~$65.000
5th, 6th 5 % ~$32.500 per team.

Not so bright :)

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Evgeni Plushenko says that: “I’ve won all the titles a figure skater can win. But you can’t make much money if you’re an amateur. The prize money in Grand Prix amounts to five thousand U.S. dollars only. And I have a family to support. Therefore, I’ve made a decision to join the professional sport. I will do business, I will take part in some ice shows in Russia and North America,”*

The GP scales are:

1-18K
2-13K
3-9K
4-3K
5-2K

GPF is:

1-25K
2-16K
3-12K
4-6K
5-4K
6-3K

I think Mr. Plushenko could safely count on grossing between $49K (all seconds) - $61K on the GP circuit, not to mention being the front-runner for the ISU top ranking bonus at the end of the year.

Typically Russian coaches take a percentage of both competition winnings and show fees, and do not charge for lost lesson time like coaches in the West. In addition to this percentage, there are travel expenses for Plushenko and his coach for each event, except when CoR is in St. Petersburg. He doesn't have a coach with him for shows, and travel is paid and arranged by the tour.

If Plushenko is netting $5K per event, it would appear that the Russian Federation is taking a huge chunk of his competition winnings; they can't touch his show earnings. Taking a year off, especially with the lackluster performance of Russian Men this season, with the exception of the wonderful Lutai at Euros, could be great for negotiating with the RF next year, whether or not this is a deliberate tactic.

GBerberoglu

Rinkside
Evgeni Plushenko is not the point here .. Lets say top 3 got enough money.. what about other skaters ?

skamper23

Medalist
I have wondered about the skaters who skate in tours like SOI...anyone know if they get paid per show, or one price for the entire tour? What would happen if they were to get hurt and couldn't finish the tour?? Just curious on how all that works!

I'm not exactly sure what the question is here. Obviously everyone in the sport, skaters and ISU officials alike, would be tickled pink if figure skating competitions brought in enough money that they could offer million dollar purses.

The cheesefests (show-type "competitions" featuring the top U.S. eligible skaters like Michelle Kwan and Sasha Cohen) used to attract live audiences in the 10,000-12,000 range, plus they were shown on network TV. This generated enough money that the sponsors could give a $50,000 prize for first, etc.

I think these events are on the way out, too, due to lack of interest both from the public and from potential corporate sponsors.

About professional tours, I remember reading once that at the height of popularity several years ago, Michelle was making something like $20,000 per performance with COI. Now I doubt if any skater makes more than $5000.

gio

Medalist
less public = less money = less skaters = less competitions

I hope that something changes.

BTW, how much money did Sasha earn with all those photoshoots?

Last edited:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Evgeni Plushenko is not the point here .. Lets say top 3 got enough money.. what about other skaters ?
The other skaters are like the skaters of the past, before the ISU offered purses and there were cheesefests: if they get anything, it's barely enough to make a dent in paying transportation and housing for their coach/team and to compensate the coach for lost lesson income, let alone paying for themselves. And teams get the same $$$ as singles skaters, and unless the team is a couple, the expenses are doubled.

Evgeni's complaint was that he didn't make enough money on the 'amateur' cicuit because he needs to support a family. He also added that he will switch to the 'pro' circuit, in order to make more money.

In America,I have no idea how much the 'show' skaters make in COI and SOI. Does anyone know how much the skaters are paid for their performances? Also are the salaries scaled to the 'drawing' power of the skater (star)?or there is a scale similar to Ballet Companies which have Principals, Soloists, and Corps all of which are paid accordingly.

I am thinking then, would (in America) Evan be paid a higher salary than Rudy Galindo? Would Sarah Hughes be paid more than Nicole Bobek? Would John and Inna have the same salary as Sale and Pelletier?

I have not heard any rumblings about pay in America but maybe that's part of the contract?

Evgeni has enough 'star power' to demand higher salary. I think he should and also think about doing what Scott Hamilton did.

Joe

From various interviews I get the feeling that Plushenko would like nothing better than to do a Scott Hamilton. I don't know if the market in Russia would support a fully fledged SOI type tour, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Plushenko growing into more and more of an entrepreneurial role. He would have a lot of talent to draw from, if he could interest Slutskaya, Totmianina and Marinen and a few others of that calibre.

About salary scale for the U.S. tours, iit would be interesting to know how that works out. I think Arakawa got about $5000 per performance last year as a guest star.

It is not clear, though, that the current champions are a better draw than the old favorites. COI regulars Rudy Galindo, Victor Petrenko and Surya Bonaly continue to be big audience pleasers.

On the other side of the coin, since COI and SOI are the only games in town, the skaters don't seem to have much leverage to demand a bigger cut.

Last edited:
It's all speculation but Evgeni must know something about 'show' salaries. I don't see him as star struck but more of a how much struck. Don't blame him.

From his comments I would glean that 'show' skating is a better living than 'eligible' living if one wants to continues figure skating as long as possible.

The Kwan camp knew how to work the eligible earnings into a fortune. Apparently Dorothy Hamil is not living on easy street and is searching for a gig in Baltimore.

Joe

Sylvia

Record Breaker
How much did the top skaters win at US Nationals?
There is no prize money at US Nationals.

USFS used to have very large prize money purses and/or appearance fees for their televised cheesefests, but they, along with the ISU, have greatly reduced the prize money amounts in recent years after the original ABC TV contracts expired.

WOW. This thread is depressing. No wonder Sasha is exploring other avenues. I can't believe a country this rich does so little. What about Japanese nationals?

The USFS can't get some rich fan to underwrite prizes for medalists?

The USFS can't get some rich fan to underwrite prizes for medalists?
I nominate Philip Anschutz. ;) IIRC Yankees owner George Steinbrenner gave some money to support Tonya Harding's career.

About Dorothy Hamill, I don't think she ever recouped the money she lost by buying the Ice Capades, which turned out to be a disastrous investment.

flying camel

Medalist
Maybe that is why poor Johnny had to sacrifice his training to do the whole COI tour. I guess he just needed the money.