Audiences at 4CC | Golden Skate

Audiences at 4CC

What's wrong?????? Three hundred for pairs SP and how many for men with these great international lineups and low ticket prices?

Apparently you are saying there should be 30,000. ;) But fools like me who would love to be there have to draw the line somewhere on money and time. I'm not there because of personal matters and I'm already spending too much on Tokyo. Doesn't stop my interest in the outcome.

I also think S.African fans, Asian fans are conserving their funds for other reasons. That is except the families of the competing skaters.

Joe

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
A small but enthusiastic audience I noticed today for the OD. :clap:

ITA with Joe, finance and time and travel....it's hard......:yes:

What about the people who live there? Was this event well publicized? For U.S. Nationals, Spokane :)rock:) turned out in such force that good audiences were guaranteed even if no one else came but the locals.

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
And I was amazed at how high the ticket prices were in Spokane, but clearly it didn't affect the attendance.

What about the people who live there? Was this event well publicized? For U.S. Nationals, Spokane :)rock:) turned out in such force that good audiences were guaranteed even if no one else came but the locals.
Spokane should take over the USFS. I'm talking to you, Mathman!

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Well -- start time for Pairs Free Skate is 3:00 on a Thursday afternoon, not too long after a lot of people have used up personal and vacation time for the holidays, at a time when viewership in general is down. And the 4 Continents is rather the neglected stepchild of the major competitions, anyway. So I'm not TOO surprised, tho 300 IS a bit low. I should imagine it would pick up this weekend. For the sake of the skaters, I hope so. It must seem like a practice session in there.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
No one has a clue here that it is going on unless you follow FS.:no:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
are you attending any events, Sean?

Sour spot, but Saturday is an intent. Surgery for Dad threw a $200 (FOR 10 LOUSY PILLS!!!!) wrench in my plans just prior to SOI - didn't go - and the 10th is Moms B-day. I tryed working something out with taking a Developmentally disabled group down but that did not aspire due to distance. If I can come up with 100 dollars free and clear - for a new battery, gas, ticket - and not feel to guilty for leaving mom on her b-day I will. This past year and a half has really sucked for me and freedom.

I am really pressing for you know who should be there (unless I missed something not reading up on results) so I am dyeing to go.

Last edited:

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Aw, but you won't half miss your parents when they're gone, believe me. :frown:

hongligl

Final Flight
With as low as $5 a ticket, and even $1 as promotion price, I just don't think money is a factor. How I wish it's in Canada, even better in Toronto:) But I'm sure the tickets wouldn't go that low, at least $25 I guess

gsrossano

Final Flight
No one can figure out the terrible turnout. It was publicised, and there was much better attendance last year, and for the Skate Americas, and GPF. So what's up this year??? Nobody knows. The OD audience was mostly school kids brought in. Kids under 13 are free, too. I have chatted with the few people sitting here in the arena and no one gets it. There are plenty of retired people to draw from in the Springs/Denver area, and even the evening session are pitiful. Can't balme USFSA though, they did try.

M

mylastduchess

No one can figure out the terrible turnout. It was publicised, and there was much better attendance last year, and for the Skate Americas, and GPF. So what's up this year??? Nobody knows. The OD audience was mostly school kids brought in. Kids under 13 are free, too. I have chatted with the few people sitting here in the arena and no one gets it. There are plenty of retired people to draw from in the Springs/Denver area, and even the evening session are pitiful. Can't balme USFSA though, they did try.

$5 per ticket are really low, if it were in Canada I'd go no question even if I'm broke and has university to go to, I wouldn't miss a chance to see S/Z last competitive skates, or Jeff Buttle, Lysacheck, Cziny or anybody else.

hongligl

Final Flight
I would take a few days of vacations to go if it were in Toronto:yes: Just a side note, during the FS in the the 6th Winter Asiad on Feb. 4, there were over 18,000 spectators cheering (literally!) for the skaters during their competitions;), like in a soccer game.

Last edited:

merrywidow

Record Breaker
What's the weather been like in Colorado Springs? Have they been snowed in like Denver? The poor weather conditions or fear of them could well be a factor.

gsrossano

Final Flight
Where?:no:

I was told newspapers and local TV/radio. I also saw some posters that have been up in the area. I was told advertiding started several months ago.

As for the question above about weather, it has been very mild here. A few traces of snow on the ground, roads clear. Daytime temps in the mid to upper 40s. Not too cold at night either.

Another thing I noticed. No tour groups here. That lot spent their money on Nationals or are saving it for Worlds.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
What's the weather been like in Colorado Springs? Have they been snowed in like Denver? The poor weather conditions or fear of them could well be a factor.

It is not horrible around here, there is one section near Castle Rock that people avoid driving on when the weather is "questionable." But lately not too bad or questionable. I would only imagine but the relocation of the"skating scene" in C.S. to somewhere between Denver and Fort Collins off I-25 would increase attendance. It wouldn't make the Springs to happy about it, but I think it might help. C.S. is a summer fun area - the Zoo and Pikes Peak, etc.. - and they have poor public trans or public trans that will get you there. It is a nice place in the spring summer and early fall, but nothing to attract in the winter. I think the Broadmores' got some investing in CS going on that has just not payed off as well if it had been closer to Denver. And to top it off, Air Force cadets are not likely going to be that interested either.