Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Endorsements by Male Skaters

Custom Title

Endorsements by Male Skaters

(Inspired by a post on another thread)

There seems to be a great disparity between male and female skaters (at least American skaters) in getting endorsements. Kimmie just got some good ones (Subway; Visa; Under Armour), and I doubt if she has become a household name yet. For the men, however, there might be a few around Olys, but that is it. Why do you think this is so?

because in the US especially it's deemed a ladies sport... and so the media at large believe that because it's a women's sport more women are watching and so they're they target audience

apparently these women that watch are not seen as being attracted to the many attractive male skaters. Give me Evan Lysacek over Kimmie Meissner anyday.

but as I'm typing this they're showing Ben and Tanith's commercial for contacts... so I guess some male skaters get lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    because in the US especially it's deemed a ladies sport... and so the media at large believe that because it's a women's sport more women are watching and so they're they target audience

apparently these women that watch are not seen as being attracted to the many attractive male skaters. Give me Evan Lysacek over Kimmie Meissner anyday.

but as I'm typing this they're showing Ben and Tanith's commercial for contacts... so I guess some male skaters get lucky

Also women are not AS concerned about attractive men as men are about attractive women. I have seen many % study scales of where men are attracted first to women by looks at over a 50% margin. Where women are in the attraction to men for looks as being in the 20% margin. It is because we as men have XY and women have XX, some stating this means men have lest character importance. I don't know how to feel about those studies. ???

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?
    If the US had a dominant male skater, there is a good chance the endorsments would come. Assume for a second that the likes of Plushenko or Yagudin were American...very marketable skaters IMO, and I think they appeal to both the sexes.

eliza88

Were Boitano or Hamilton given a lot of endorsements in the 80s? or even early 90s? I don't remember seeing a lot of them...

But I remember seeing Kristi Yamaguchi EVERYWHERE. And Dorothy Hamill and Peggy Flemming STILL get endorsements.. where's Dick in all of this?

and I don't know about studies, but sex sells on BOTH sides of the gender gap...

and I don't know about studies, but sex sells on BOTH sides of the gender gap...
    Yes, definitely. Just one more so than the other.

no I think that the studies fail in one critical way - guys aren't ashamed to admit that's what sells... most women are

no I think that the studies fail in one critical way - guys aren't ashamed to admit that's what sells... most women are
    Holly cow! what an interesting POV.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    as backwards and chauvinist as this sounds, i'd rather see someone like katarina, nancy, or any of the older skaters selling some products. seeing little girls just kinda...

to me, sex does not sell in that respect.

I agree blue dog...

Blame it on Sonia Henie, her movies, her coloring book, her paper dolls, and all those new mothers at that time naming their daughters Sonja. Dick Button came 8 years later too late, and there was already much ballyhoo over Joe Dimaggio. Finally, figure skating could be called a little girl sport.

Nothing has changed that. Nothing will. Everyone wants the little girl to win.

But there is much more adverts using men than in the past nowadays, but not Evan, unfortunately,

Joe

I be hard pressed not to buy ANYTHING Evan was sellin'

Todd Eldredge was the king of U.S. figure skating for many years. Does anyone remember if he got any endorsements?

A lot of skaters appear in ads for skating equipment in figure skating magazines at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Todd Eldredge was the king of U.S. figure skating for many years. Does anyone remember if he got any endorsements?

A lot of skaters appear in ads for skating equipment in figure skating magazines at least.

I think around the time of the 1998 Olympics Todd may have had some kind of endorsement with Minute Maid Orange Juice. In 2002 he did a series of skating clinics with Chevy across the USA (we were lucky enough to participate in one about 15 minutes from home).

I be hard pressed not to buy ANYTHING Evan was sellin'

I doubt your in the scheme of marketing.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast