Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cutting music

Tripping on the Podium

Cutting music

I'm trying to find music that I can create programs to, I'd like to cut several pieces but all I have right not in GarageBand and the basic programs on a MacBook, I could be wrong but I don't think any of that works for the type of editing I need to do. What is a good program I can buy that gets the job done without being to tough on the pocketbook?
    Thanks in advance.

Why buy when you can download Audacity (for free) by Soundforge?

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    I'm trying to find music that I can create programs to, I'd like to cut several pieces but all I have right not in GarageBand and the basic programs on a MacBook, I could be wrong but I don't think any of that works for the type of editing I need to do. What is a good program I can buy that gets the job done without being to tough on the pocketbook?
    Thanks in advance.
    No, that is plenty. You have what you need.

Tripping on the Podium
    Could you explain what Audacity is and lets you do?
    Osthere some part of Garageband that I am missing, I've found it great for making my own music but I can't download music from say itunes into it to be able to cut.
    Thanks for responding.

Audacity is a program that lets you cut music really easily. It's east to learn and really easy to use. You can cut, splice, compress, stretch, compress/stretch small segments, fade in/out, etc. The first time I used it, it took me about 15 minutes to cut a piece of music, and that was trying to get it just at the right spot. It took me longer to convert and burn it.

Tripping on the Podium
    Thanks for the info, sounds liek what I'm after. Going going to download it and try it out now!

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Could you explain what Audacity is and lets you do?
    Osthere some part of Garageband that I am missing, I've found it great for making my own music but I can't download music from say itunes into it to be able to cut.
    Thanks for responding.
    ???
    I can drag the iTunes song I want into Grageband, cut, copy, paste, fade volume levels, overlap, crossfade, etc.. whatever I want with a song - any song that I have tried. Shoot, I can even do most of that with iMovie. I don't know what else to say. I have found it extremely easy. The only thing I could imagine being a problem is "protected" files that were purchased off the iTunes site. That you will run into copyright infringements anyway, so even though I have found away to work around it, I don't recommend it. No need for 3rd party software IMO, but whatever you find easier.

Rinkside
    As long as Audacity has been brought up....i've tried to use it before; but when i initially play the song in the program all i hear is static...or the song really speeded up. I'm pretty sure i could use the program if i could get past that glitch. Does anyone know how to fix this? thanks in advance for your help

Custom Title
    I've never had a problem with it; perhaps you need to delete it and reinstall it?

Quote Originally Posted by icedancer86 View Post
    As long as Audacity has been brought up....i've tried to use it before; but when i initially play the song in the program all i hear is static...or the song really speeded up. I'm pretty sure i could use the program if i could get past that glitch. Does anyone know how to fix this? thanks in advance for your help
    This sounds like the issues I had with a Jesse Cook and downloading from iTunes music store directly. The songs played in iTunes but when I initially tried using it to replace the broadcast of the SP I discovered the "protection." The result was almost identical to what you are saying.

It could be also as Mrs Redboots is saying, well except semantically. "delete the song and re-import it, or uninstall the software and reinstall."
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 02-04-2007 at 11:54 AM.

Tripping on the Podium
    Yes, when I downloaded Audacity the same thing happened to me and as much as I fiddled around I couldn't fix it... very odd.
    SeaniBu- I'm going to have to play around with itunes and GarageBand some more because I couldn't get it to work the first times but who knows. That would be excellent if I can get mine to work since I already know how to use all the applications.

When using Grageband make sure your Filevault is off.

Try a song that you know you put on there such as off a CD maybe pre 2001. It sounds - but I don't know everything you have been doing - like protection / copyright, because you can do this with your own songs.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    i have a mac book that has Garage Band on it.. is this all i need? i never even clicked on it.. so i don't know what to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    i have a mac book that has Garage Band on it.. is this all i need? i never even clicked on it.. so i don't know what to expect.
    I believe so, strongly.

If you have ever worked with a mixing board, that is relatively what you are going to get. One that has a visual display of the music as well as a bunch of options - effects, vocal / instrumental settings, sound clips, etc. But it looks a lot like a studio mixer and "your cursor is now your finger." Play, have fun, learn. It is congruent with Mac apps "language / interface."

Here is a sound and video clip that I edited only in iMovie most recently. The lower two audio channels in iMovie work very similar to Grageband but GB has a lot more options. It is not complete with the video editing. The sound file was over 3 minutes clipped to 1 minute 30 seconds, has 5 cuts, 12 volume adjustments and overlaps. All just in iMovie which works very similar regarding sound files as Grageband "works / interfaces."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gFzESLjlgQ

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaniBu View Post
    I believe so, strongly.

If you have ever worked with a mixing board, that is relatively what you are going to get. One that has a visual display of the music as well as a bunch of options - effects, vocal / instrumental settings, sound clips, etc. But it looks a lot like a studio mixer and "your cursor is now your finger." Play, have fun, learn. It is congruent with Mac apps "language / interface."

Here is a sound and video clip that I edited only in iMovie most recently. The lower two audio channels in iMovie work very similar to Grageband but GB has a lot more options. It is not complete with the video editing. The sound file was over 3 minutes clipped to 1 minute 30 seconds, has 5 cuts, 12 volume adjustments and overlaps. All just in iMovie which works very similar regarding sound files as Grageband "works / interfaces."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gFzESLjlgQ

thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast