My weird Pet / friend (s) | Golden Skate

My weird Pet / friend (s)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Share some strange behaviors about your pet / animal friend.

I live with 2 dog buddies and they both have some quirks of course.:agree:

The Lopsa opsa loves the smell of fabric softeners, clothes drying and will lick all the hand lotion off your hands if you give her the chance. I never had a dog that likes that kind of thing.

The little one, a Shitzu - of course always trying to act bigger and tougher then she really is - also loves to stick her ball under the recliners and then sit there growing at you until you crawl under the chair for her and get it out. This obviously stems from getting the attention, but I often wonder how this habit ever started?

Most interesting I think I ever encountered was a big Lab / Rottweiler mix(normally considered a "bird dog") would lett my Cockatiel walk on it's back. My bird for some reason loved this as so the Rottweiler did too. Otis (the bird) would walk all around Teka's (dog) back trying to talk (coming close to saying "ello eeka"), whistling and chirping and Teka would get the look of "happy dog" with a little foot twitch once and awhile. The bird would call her into my room sometimes and the dog would always guard my door / bird when anyone new came around - and this is no joke, she was seroious and I would bring my bird to the new person (even if the person had been over just not since the new bird arrived) and have them show Teka they were nice to Otis. Most strange was the dog was 6 years old when they met and always chased off bids in the yard and on walks. I don't think Teka thought of Otis as a bird. They were buddies.

Anyway, there are three from me, do you have any "weirdness" you want to share about your pet?

Last edited:

Petlover

On the Ice
Those stories are adorable! My shih tzu is the smallest pet I have, except for the cat, and she (Simba) is the boss of all of them! My sheltie and mutt, who are twice Simba's size, are actually scared of her. Simba has me well trained, she lets me know when it is time for dinner, treats, and when to move so there is room for her to jump up on the couch. But she is so affectionate, and just a wonderful little dog. We restrict the dogs and cat to one half of the house, and we had to put "Simba locks" on the gates, they were shut with heavy duty velcro and she learned how to open them!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Yuka is a pug, and I live with my aunt who has a German Shepherd (named Cookie...) and Yuka definitely rules the roost.

She protects teh house, whenever something 'scary' happens she goes after teh noise while Cookie runs into the master bathroom and hides behind the toilet. Or rather hides her head, the rest of her body is in clear view. But in her mind no one can see her lol

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Those are so funny.:laugh:

Thanks for giving me the correct spelling of Shih tzu, I had no Idea.:agree:

btw, LOVE the new sig Toni!

Before our Aggie, a 17 year old Jack Russell Terrier, went deaf, she was scared of thunder. She'd hide under this little round side table with a long cover on it. She'd do just like Toni said Cookie does--all but her butt end would be under the cover, but I'm sure she thought she was well hidden from the nasty thunder.

She'd also do the "stick the tennis ball where she couldn't get it and bark for us to get it".

Be careful about dryer sheets, SeiniBu. The stuff that is on/in them can be toxic to pets.

I used to have a cat that would run to watch the water swirl in the toilet whenever anyone flushed.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Be careful about dryer sheets, SeiniBu. The stuff that is on/in them can be toxic to pets.
:agree: It is not a choice I let her make. Some people have itchy skin and then discover (via dermatologist or chance) they do not have itchy skin once they stop using fabric softener or dryer sheets.

Looking forward to new stories from your new puppy!:biggrin:

Binky30

Rinkside
Patch~ I can't believe your Aggie is 17! I don't have *my* Aggie anymore...she went to a new home 2 years ago. I still miss her but it was for the best.

Anyway~ when I would leave for work in the morning, I'd put her in her crate and leave, and if I didn't scratch her ears and say "bye Aggie I'll be back" before I left, she would sit in her crate and howl, but if I did those things, she'd lay right down and chew her bone. She howled so loud I could hear her outside the back door and I'd have to go back and tell her bye so she'd stop! LOL

Last edited:

Julia

Rinkside
I have 3 dogs that were rescued from the shelter. One of them jumps up and runs away every time I sneeze. The other dogs ignore it. No, I don't have one of those big honker sneezes that frighten children and rattle the dishes. Even if I'm on the verge of sneezing, he readies himself for the get-a-way. But it doesn't work if I try to fake a sneeze. Anyway, I always get a look that says, "How dare you do that in my presence.":laugh:

Petlover

On the Ice
One more story - my husband thinks burping in the dogs' faces is funny. Anyway, now all of my dogs think burping is a sign of affection, and make sure they show me their affection! Thank goodness my cat hasn't learned this yet.....

eliza88

On the Ice
I have a cat...a giant 22lb fluff ball who is as sweet as they come. He has a thing about sucking on my fingers. It's not enough to give him just one finger though, he goes from one to the next until he gets to the end and then works his way back! He also gives kisses all the time...especially on my cheek or nose. He is as quirky as they come...anything you put on the floor he will come and lay on. Oh, and he also guards the watering hole (aka the water dish)...he lays there with his front paws around it (he will let my other cat and the basset hound come drink from it...perhaps he is guarding it from any stray animals that have never come into hose!), oh and he will also sleep at the watering hole usually with his chin resting in the bowl or a paw. He sleeps in the craziest positions too, limbs and tail pointed in a myriad of directions!

My basset is pretty goofy, the evenings entertainment is generally highlighted by the dog getting off the couch to be let outside (we have no doggie door)...anyway, she is soundly asleep in a donut position and my husband tells her it's time to go potty...her eyes open, he repeats himself (often several times to get her to hear/budge, etc), she looks at him like he's got to be kidding and please don't make me get up, "come on Cleo" after several pleading looks and yawns, she will then slowly lurch her heavy head forward, this will then ever so slowly (gravity ya know!) get her front half to lower to the floor...a stretch or so, a yawn, (he tells her back half too!) slowly the back half of her comes off the couch often with both back legs stuck then one leg lagging behind...finally on all fours, a shake, a yawn, she makes her way to the back door, sniifing out any crumbs along the way. This whole process usually takes 3-5 minutes...she comes bounding back inside for a treat and then reassumes her spot on the couch! She is now 5 and we never tire watching this process!

eliza88

Pets sure can enrich your life, can't they?

Aw, Binky, sorry to hear you had to rehome YOUR Aggie.

Yes, Aggie is 17. Sometimes it isn't at all easy dealing with her senior-itis. But there are still too many signs she still gets a kick out of life, so we muddle through the bad days and enjoy the good ones.

This cold weather has reminded me of a goofy habit our outside dog has. Nellie is an almost 14 yr. old pointer-beagle mix. If you empty the molded ice chunks out of her water bowls in this frigid weather, you have to throw them outside her pen. Otherwise, she'll take the darn chunks into her house with her...which they'd then melt and make her hay and blankets all wet!