New Johnny Weir Journal -2/10 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

New Johnny Weir Journal -2/10

kittyjake5

On the Ice
Thanks for sharing Snowgirl. It sounds like it was quite a show. How lucky for you to be in the audience and be a part of the tribute and to see "Lesha" perform Winter.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Snowgirl, wonderful, thanks so much for the review! It sounds to have been truly awesome.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The fashion show wasn't an alternative ice skating event to 4CC but the Russian show was. The USFS can't forbid Johnny to have a private life outside of skating, but they could indicate their disapproval of the Russian show because they are funding his skating.

Setting aside the question of what USFS can do, I think they are cutting off their nose to spite their face if they don't let the skaters do these shows.

For Johnny to appear in the Russian show alongside Yagudin, Totmianina and Marinen, Navka and Kostamorov, and other international stars -- that's a win-win situation to me.

Why did they care if Johnny did Four Continents or not? Lysacek, Abbott and Bradley did the U.S. proud, and Johnny could have made us equally proud with a fine exhibition skate in Russia.

Last edited:

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Setting aside the question of what USFS can do, I think they are cutting off their nose to spite their face if they don't let the skaters do these shows.

For Johnny to appear in the Russian show alongside Yagudin, Totmianina and Marinen, Navka and Kostamorov, and other international stars -- that's a win-win situation to me.

Why did they care if Johnny did Four Continents or not? Lysacek, Abbott and Bradley did the U.S. proud, and Johnny could have made us equally proud with a fine exhibition skate in Russia.

:clap: Agree. The USFS needs to realize the skating community is GLOBAL and getting notice/popularity/respect/attention for their skaters in the INTERNATIONAL community is an opportunity that should be maximized.

OT -- All Alexei Yagudin fans (who isn't? :) ), click on the link in Zanzibar's signature, then on "Enter Albums" -> "Alexei Yagudin," then scroll down to the very bottom, right.

(Hey, KB, I see you still have your Chrismas tree up on Valentine's day! :rock: )

Last edited:

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Oh MM, you do like to give me grief don't you, LOL.

The photos were taken on February 11th - I just put them on the website February 14th....so no, LOL, I did not have my Christmas tree still up on Valentine's Day you naughty boy!

And now to gently move this back OT to Johnny....I was really hoping that Alexei would have a little 'inspirational talk' with Johnny when the two were supposed to meet at Tarasova's show. Unfortunately that didn't happen.

Last edited:

twinsissv

Rinkside
That's what I meant, thank you.
Not being a native english speaker sucks.

No apology needed. Believe me, many of us "native English speakers" are having some very serious difficulties understanding and comprehending each other! (on many levels) :yes: And LANGUAGE has NOTHING to do with it.

Last edited:

momjudi

On the Ice
And now to gently move this back OT to Johnny....I was really hoping that Alexei would have a little 'inspirational talk' with Johnny when the two were supposed to meet at Tarasova's show. Unfortunately that didn't happen.

Wouldn't it be nice if Alexei makes a special trip to Tokyo to talk to Johnny during Worlds?

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Wouldn't it be nice if Alexei makes a special trip to Tokyo to talk to Johnny during Worlds?

He better not, LOL, I need him to be in the US that week...and so do a few SOI audiences!!! :laugh:

Yeah, it's too bad the trip to Russia didn't pan out for Johnny - that's 2 big historic Russia shows he's had to miss in two months. Like you, I hope that Johnny can arrive in Tokyo inspired and ready to give it his best.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
OK, now who do we believe in regards to where Johnny was during Evan's LP programme. I just reviewed and recoded the Nats for a friend, and Terry and Dick are commenting about where he was during Evan's skate. Terry even points out that he "was standing an pacing right there" as soon as Johnny leaves the rink and took two steps toward the K&C. Not where Johnny makes it out to sound like he was. If he says that is a "normal" place for skaters to stand, then why were Dick and Terry surprised where he was? Dick commented he had only seen a skater stand there one other time - Kat Witt, but she was glaring and focused where Johnny was pacing around.

So, who is telling the real story here?

eta, it is not as though I really think Johnny is lying, more that it doesn't sound like he even knew where he was.

Last edited:

jennylovskt

Medalist
OK, now who do we believe in regards to where Johnny was during Evan's LP programme. I just reviewed and recoded the Nats for a friend, and Terry and Dick are commenting about where he was during Evan's skate. Terry even points out that he "was standing an pacing right there" as soon as Johnny leaves the rink and took two steps toward the K&C. Not where Johnny makes it out to sound like he was. If he says that is a "normal" place for skaters to stand, then why were Dick and Terry surprised where he was? Dick commented he had only seen a skater stand there one other time - Kat Witt, but she was glaring and focused where Johnny was pacing around.

So, who is telling the real story here?

eta, it is not as though I really think Johnny is lying, more that it doesn't sound like he even knew where he was.

Are you questioning this?:) I have no doubt that Johnny was telling the truth. Why? Because I believe him if he said so. I am biased, I know.

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Are you questioning this?:)

Of course I am.:laugh: I am not going to let bias dictate when there is rational thinking. Now I present this as being a possibility of misunderstanding on Johnny's part, and as I said, it is not really that I think (or want to admit) that there is a discrepancy between Johnny's comments on his Journal, and Dick & Terry's comments during the broadcast. But a fact is a fact. Someone does not have them straight.

:) If it is a matter of a "lie" being told, then who is? Dick and Terry or Johnny? Plan and simple, the reality is there are 2 different stories. So who has stated the correct one?

Let's face it, either Dick Button and Terry Gannon are lying or totally confused, OR Johnny is. There is no way around the facts. Someone has the right story and someone is not saying what REALLY happened. Who is it?

A young man who was in the heat of competition and emotionally overloaded within 10 minutes of the incident?
or
Two commentators whose job is to call what they see?

There is always what I want to believe.

I have already been to the place of "wanting to believe Johnny's journal" but what is real is just real no matter how much I want it to be different.

Snowgirl

On the Ice
I think Johnny was near the ice, but how commentators can state that he was watching? Weren't they supposed to watch and comment Evan's performance and if they were, how could they notice what was the other skater doing? (they should watch him precisely to notice where he looks and what he does). And wasn't Evan's performance too amazing to take all their attention? (personally, I haven't seen it and have no opinion about it , but they say it was great!)
i believe Johnny says the truth. That he was close to the ice but he wasn't watching...

psycho

On the Ice
Here is an idea: how about no one is lyin. Johnny said he was standing there, but not watching. Terry said he saw Johnny pace there, but maybe they didn't see him watching, and assumed he did. Afterall they were supposed to watch Evan, not Johnny. The whole possibility of Johnny watching set of the whole Dick remembers Witt babbling, despite the fact that Johnny didn't even watch.
No conspiracy theory. Johnny has no reason to lie about this, and it's not like the commentators have never been wrong. They just want to create a rivalry/interesting story.

momjudi

On the Ice
I tend to believe that Johnny was not actually watching Evan's performance but simply standing by the curtain separating backstage from the ice. I've seen him stand there before waiting for his turn to take the ice. He may have moved to the K&C area towards the end of Evan's performance (he did say he saw the last jump) but I don't believe he was standing and watching the entire time. Johnny does tend to pace back and forth while waiting his turn and that's what I believe he was doing.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I tend to believe that Johnny was not actually watching Evan's performance but simply standing by the curtain separating backstage from the ice. I've seen him stand there before waiting for his turn to take the ice. He may have moved to the K&C area towards the end of Evan's performance (he did say he saw the last jump) but I don't believe he was standing and watching the entire time. Johnny does tend to pace back and forth while waiting his turn and that's what I believe he was doing.

That probably is what happened.:agree:

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Agree. Most of the top level skaters really get 'into the zone' before taking the ice - it's almost like a self induced hypnotic trance. They're not really 'watching' anything...he may have been nearby, but I believe him when he says he wasn't watching, but obviously couldn't miss hearing and feeling the seismic reaction Evan's performance produced.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Of course I am.:laugh: I am not going to let bias dictate when there is rational thinking. Now I present this as being a possibility of misunderstanding on Johnny's part, and as I said, it is not really that I think (or want to admit) that there is a discrepancy between Johnny's comments on his Journal, and Dick & Terry's comments during the broadcast. But a fact is a fact. Someone does not have them straight.

:) If it is a matter of a "lie" being told, then who is? Dick and Terry or Johnny? Plan and simple, the reality is there are 2 different stories. So who has stated the correct one?

Let's face it, either Dick Button and Terry Gannon are lying or totally confused, OR Johnny is. There is no way around the facts. Someone has the right story and someone is not saying what REALLY happened. Who is it?

A young man who was in the heat of competition and emotionally overloaded within 10 minutes of the incident?
or
Two commentators whose job is to call what they see?

There is always what I want to believe.

I have already been to the place of "wanting to believe Johnny's journal" but what is real is just real no matter how much I want it to be different.

Because we all know that commentators always tell the truth and never skew things to make a story?

We've just been discussing Scott Hamilton's ridiculous call in the SLC Men's LP trying to make out that maybe alexei had been conservative and not done enough to win.

How many times have you heard a commentator miscall a jump? In the UK we've had many commentators call a flip a toe-loop and vice versa. The commentator might have said one but i definitely saw the other and the skater definietly knows which one s/he did.

If in doubt i believe the skater - they are keeping track of themselves and what they are doing, the commentators, if they were doing their job should have been all eyes on Evan watching his skate in order to provide the commentary surely?

Ant