Emily Hughes - What Do You Think? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Emily Hughes - What Do You Think?

She won at Worlds because without Shizuka & Ira there was no serious competition besides Cohen, who, as we all know, had a melt down...
Well, besides Cohen, Meissner beat Suguri, Sokolova, Nakano, Meir, Rochette, Hughes, Poykio, Korpi, Onda, Kostner, Leung, Gedevanishvilli,...

So if these skaters are "no serious competition" for Kimmie, she can at least hope to get fourth after Mao, Kim and Miki. :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
1994/2006: MK and Emily both qualify for Oly team; neither is originally named because said reigning Oly bronze medalist needed a medical bye. Both make senior Worlds debut by coming in 8th.

But Hughes actually got to GO to the '06 Olympics after one member pulled out. IIRC Kwan didn't go the the 94 games...or did she??

I just see too many issues with Emily to see her as a serious world contender. Maybe next year or '09 but not next month, sorry. And especially if it's true that she wants to go for a 3-3...I just don't see it happening. Not against Mao, not against YuNa, Carolina, or US companion Kimmie. Even Alyssa when she was on...placed above Emily in the free at nats.

nubka

Final Flight
Well, besides Cohen, Meissner beat Suguri, Sokolova, Nakano, Meir, Rochette, Hughes, Poykio, Korpi, Onda, Kostner, Leung, Gedevanishvilli,...

Yup, Sokolova, Suguri, Onda, Leung, Gedevanishvilli and Rochette have really been setting the skating world on fire lately, haven't they?

Yawn...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
But Hughes actually got to GO to the '06 Olympics after one member pulled out. IIRC Kwan didn't go the the 94 games...or did she??

I just see too many issues with Emily to see her as a serious world contender. Maybe next year or '09 but not next month, sorry. And especially if it's true that she wants to go for a 3-3...I just don't see it happening. Not against Mao, not against YuNa, Carolina, or US companion Kimmie. Even Alyssa when she was on...placed above Emily in the free at nats.

she wasn't in the competition but I want to say that she did go to the venue 'just in case'...

but I could be confused... I am going by a horribly narrated THS investigates Tonya Harding thing lol

MKFSfan

Medalist
I was surprised though by the comment of her being able to leapfrog over Alissa & Bebe... was that in question? have either ever really beaten her? Both can skate awesome SPs, but neither has lived up to the hype in my opinion...

I guess what I meant is I think if all skate up clean, I think Alissa for sure would easily beat Emily, and I really like Bebe-she always has interesting, even difficult, choreography and great spins/spirals. Bebe and Emily were clean at Nationals, and while Emily got the nod in PCS, Bebe did better in TES, so I think Bebe could be the better skater...but she does not hold it together. That's all I meant!

R.D.

Record Breaker
But here's the difference: Alyssa's erratic, Emily's relatively steady having an average of 1 fall in an LP and maybe a slight botch-up in the short- consistently. Haven't seen a meltdown from Hughes...yet.

So what does that mean? Alyssa CAN beat Emily but she has to stay on her feet. And Emily does, too, to give herself the edge. But even with 1 fall/mistake, she can top Alyssa given that the latter is off.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yeah I know... it's odd for me, but I'm having fun making the banners and I can't decide which one to stick with (and I had Evan for a while :love: )

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
she wasn't in the competition but I want to say that she did go to the venue 'just in case'...

but I could be confused... I am going by a horribly narrated THS investigates Tonya Harding thing lol

The way I heard about it, she was at the venue at the invitation of the USFS, partly "just in case" and partly as a reward for being nice about the Tonya aspect.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Emily has really grown on me this year. She does struggle with her consistency, although taking things out at Nationals and 4CC seemed to help, but she comes off as if she really enjoys what she is doing, and I like watching performers like that. I like her beillmann, and big, powerful skating style. She's not the pretty, tiny, baby ballerinas like some are, nor is she the jumping powerhouse that Mao, Miki, Kimmie are. She has her own kind of style!

Of all the US Senior Ladies at Nationals, I find Alissa and Bebe most interesting, but the two have serious jumping consistencies that on any given day, Emily can leapfrog over them. Kimmie is her real challenge (in the US), since she is a proven competitor who can keep her nerves in check and land her 3/3s. Nationals showed anything is possible, and Emily missed out on the title by less than a point.

That said, I still expect to see her in the top 10, even vying for a final flight spot if she is on and others are not for the SP. I would be (pleasantly) surprised if she lands in the top 6 overall. (I predict Mao, Yu-Na, Miki, Kimmie, Carolina for top 5 and either Emily/Joannie/Sarah to get that 6th spot.)

That said-something gets loss over the TV, IMO. In person, Emily is much more impressive. She's fast, and uses the whole rink, gets the audience into her programs, looks confident and her skating doesn't look "heavy" (NOT my word, I noticed many critics across the boards like to use this with her.) She does have a more "TA-DA!" energetic style, which I normally don't gravitate towards, but it works for her (as it did for Tara way back when).

Yeah, I agree with much of what you said. Emily has is right on the brink of becoming a much more sucssesful skater than i could have ever thought. I thought, after her first apperance at nationals that she would be a medicore 6 place finisher that woudl rarley see the GP series.. like a Katy Taylor in terme of exposere and consistancy. Instead Emily is medaling at international events are almost won the national title. Emily has the jumps, a nice enought spiral and decent spins. What she needs is the right package to sell what she's got and present herslef in the best possible light. faster, more powerful music to start with, better outfits ( I think she could really wear a unitard very well) and better chreography. Her chreography dosen't have to be really hard or anything, but if she got the right music, i think she would naturally present her self very well. Stop trying the ballet look. :rock:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I don't think she will be on the podium at Worlds, but there's always hope (maybe everyone else will totally bomb out, lol!!)

No, I predict the top three spot will be japanese ladies after the short anyway. Emily's final placement i would say 5th. or 6th.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker

nubka

Final Flight
No, I predict the top three spot will be japanese ladies after the short anyway. Emily's final placement i would say 5th. or 6th.

As I said in my other post, I don't think Emily will make the podium. But one can still hope...sigh!

As for the Japanese being top three after the SP, I'm not so sure about Miki. I'd like to see her do really well, but I'm just not so sure that she will...

Yup, Sokolova, Suguri, Onda, Leung, Gedevanishvilli and Rochette have really been setting the skating world on fire lately, haven't they?

Yawn...
Still, there have been many outstanding U.S. skaters who never won a world championship. Maribel Vincent and Janet Lynn won 14 U.S. championships between them, but never a world gold. So -- yawns aside -- I think Kimmie has every right to be proud of her achievement.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The reason why Emily is "telegraphing" her jumps is that most of the transitional choreography has been removed from her FS, since she wasn't able to land her jumps in that context during the GP. So what's left is stroke, stroke, jump, so it's very plain whenever she is setting up for the next jump.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Still, there have been many outstanding U.S. skaters who never won a world championship. Maribel Vincent and Janet Lynn won 14 U.S. championships between them, but never a world gold. So -- yawns aside -- I think Kimmie has every right to be proud of her achievement.

In addition she won that World title before the National one.