Emily Hughes - What Do You Think? | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Emily Hughes - What Do You Think?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Try saying "Kim Meissner" --- it is awkward. Her full name is Kimberly, but she doesn't like it.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Nothing wrong with "Kimmie" IMO. As Toni was saying about her friend - and this sounds like a familiar discussion - but The Kimmie that comes to mind that I know is in her 40s now, runs a used car dealership, works PT evenings at a upscale restaurant, speaks at least 2 languages fluently (first to teach me Japanese and corrected my lousy French - noting she was also one of the people who said French is one of the easiest langs to learn) She is full of Youth but an extremely classy, dapper and elegant lady. She is even the star of her Dealership commercials.

Kimmie is just a preferred name, and if she does what she indicated by - "don't call me Kim, I am still a girl" - then some day she might go by Kim, but I doubt it. Why, just to appease the people who have hang-ups with names being associated with age groups. :p on them. Whatever your heart desires Kimmie!:rock:

attepting Biellmann spins that really could never be classed as Biellmanns becaues of the position - foot being barely as high as the head, let alone above it!
:) Could bring a spiral or spin down to -3 and 6.0 for skating skills, but if is marked a Bielmann consistently even with the variations of foot position, receiving a -3 etc ... someone is doing their job and calling it, and someone is just having an "definitive opinion" - unreasonable, understood, but still unreasonable IMO.;)

Little kids attempting is just that, attempting. :agree: If the "team" puts it down as a Bielmann when they compete then they get graded on how good of a Bielmann it is. :yes: But it is down as such, so....

With this "style" in regard of specifics and terminology, Fumie does not have a "sitspin." A spin is not a spin if it has more than 2 feet of travel? Is Shi-chan's Ina Baur not an Ina Baur because she leans to far back?

I see the "point" but think it is over exaggerated to say "it isn't even a Bielmann" when talking about Ira for example. And it is seeming the discussion here was indicating that CZ wasn't doing a Biellmann anyway.

Anyhoo, I'll stick with this summery of interpretation.
"...when Judges and "teams" are putting them in as such....." I still have yet heard controversy televised on this type of topic, only jump rotations, landings and take offs.

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
can we stop talking about Emily? I'm tired of seeing this thread always on front page.

This is the silliest thing I've read on here in a looonnnggg time... You cannot request a thread be stopped simply because you're tired of it.... espcially when you contribute constantly to it... :sheesh:

Anywho... After seeing what the newbies have done on the ice this season, I return to my original position that we don't really know who is going to rise or falter over the next couple of seasons...

The US ladies are talking about college plans. The Japanese federation has a unique way of chewing these girls up & spitting them out... (I always find it interesting that once their eyes turn away from a skater, she seems to blossom..) Yu-na is plagued by serious injuries. Joanine, Carolina and Sarah M... are seasoned & great skaters but are they awesome? Do any of them have the ability to move from contenders to favorites? I'm not sure...

Marai, Caroline and Rachel are all extremely talented, but they are also still kids. Its impossible to annoint any of them... Remember Bebe from five years ago? Jenny Kirk? Ann Patrice?

We (meaning you because I can't do math not associated with money...:yes: ) can compare scores and values all day long, but its impossible to realistically say who will be around in three years vs. who will be the favorites... give these girls a chance to grow & develop before dismissing or getting too carried away with the accolades...

Enjoy worlds

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
give these girls a chance to grow & develop before dismissing or getting too carried away with the accolades...

Enjoy worlds

I say give them the accolades now, because they MIGHT not be around. There is no reason not to give praise just because it is contingent on the future. If they are there in the future, they will get accolades for them, if the do well now, give them the praise for now. The comments of might refer to the future, not the present, but that is "hopes" that are spawned on by their performance now. Let them hear the "dreams" we share along with them. No need to keep them in a box until they win Olys.

They SHOULD BE praised for what they are accomplishing now. Why would someone think a child who received all "As" on their report card should not be rewarded? Do you tell them, "well that is fine that you did so well in the 8th grade, but I am not going to have hopes or give you accolades until you are a senior in high school." ??????:p

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I say give them the accolades now, because they MIGHT not be around. There is no reason not to give praise just because it is contingent on the future. If they are there in the future, they will get accolades for them, if the do well now, give them the praise. The comments of might refer to the future, not the present.

They SHOULD BE praised for what they are accomplishing now. Why would someone think a child who received all "As" on there report card should not be rewarded? Do you tell them, "well that is fine that you did so well in the 8th grade, but I am not going to have hopes or give you accolades until you are a senior in high school." ??????:p

:laugh::laugh: :bow: :bow: :p :p

Touche...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, the top skaters now are talking about college plans. But while Kimmie is talking about part-time attendance at the University of Delaware, where she trains, Emily is talking about Harvard---far away from where she trains.

I think Kimmie will be around for the next few years, but I'm not so sure about Emily. The skaters ranked just below them are Alissa and BeBe, both of whom are inconsistent skaters. Next is Rachael Flatt, who is very promising, and Caroline and Mirai will be moving up to Seniors next year.

It makes sense to look at these three young ones, because with Emily gone, they will all have a shot at the podium next season---and Rachael doesn't even have to do Regionals and Sectionals next year, so she's in the mix for sure.

kyla2

Final Flight
Emily

Let me say this about Emily: she has improved and the burden of following in Sarah's footsteps must be tough. Having a sister that won the OGM in your own sport is very difficult. I think she handles it well. She is a nice girl that is working hard. The same can be said for all the American women-you can see improvement in all the top contenders irrespective of whichever skating style you might prefer.

Let me say this about Emily: she has improved and the burden of following in Sarah's footsteps must be tough. Having a sister that won the OGM in your own sport is very difficult. I think she handles it well. She is a nice girl that is working hard. The same can be said for all the American women-you can see improvement in all the top contenders irrespective of whichever skating style you might prefer.
Yes, Emily is doing well. But then so have all the other US skaters with marked improvemnts. I can not single out anyone in particular

Joe

Try saying "Kim Meissner" --- it is awkward. Her full name is Kimberly, but she doesn't like it.
I think you have to put a dramatic pause between the two M's. Like, "Now, representing the United States of America, Kim....MEISSNER!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :)