Who are Sasha Cohen's influences | Golden Skate

Who are Sasha Cohen's influences

krenseby

Final Flight
I recently watched Sasha's Malagueña at 2003 Skate Canada and thought to myself that her posture, arm movements, and very rapid, aggressive stroking seemed very unique to me. I haven't seen any other lady skate in the same style. But of course that impression has to be wrong. Sasha has to have inherited that kind of style from someone else. I am really curious if you could tell me about the previous skaters whose style was just like hers. I would love to look them up on youtube. (Btw, her end of the program footwork sequence in that Malagueña skate was also incredible. But I think that was an imitation of Yagudin's style.)

Just speaking about the last sentence, ever since "Winter" everyone, men and women alike, have done everything in their power to copy the footwork that Morosov designed for Yagudin. None entirely successfully, IMHO.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
everyone went running ot Morosov, which I think is the real reason, not the CoP that a lot of skaters have become carbon copies of each other. They all use the same choreographers...

anyway... I think Sasha pretty much takes from a lot of places, I don't see a specific skater other than Sasha when I watch her skate...

soogar

Record Breaker
I think that Sasha is a very unique skater- her stretch and line come from classic Soviet style gymnastics (not that crap we see now)- and this separates her from the other skaters.

gio

Medalist
Latin temperament. :love: :love: :love:

IMO, it depends on the music she is interpreting.
She knows how to do a correct interpretation of the music. And she is very versatile.
In Malaguena she is a hot headed Spanish girl. More agressive style.
On the other hand in R and J she is a completely different person. Fragile and tragic.

Last edited:

Fossi

Final Flight
Sasha says her idol is Tara Lipinski. I don't see any similarities in their skating though. Tara was consistent, had the 3/3, and was tough as nails as a competitor. Sasha had more grace, lacked consistency and skated totally opposite of what Tara skated. There are some similarities in personailty though: in your face, moves to grab attention, upbringing, etc. Skating-wise I see no similarities. I always thought Sasha tried to imitate Katarina Witt, but wasn't as good. Close, but no cigar. Sasha pre 2004 was spunky and full of life.