Define bashing versus criticism | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Define bashing versus criticism

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To me , bashing is when I see a certain poster go on every thread, whether it is related to Sarah or Emily (since you've used Emily's thread as an example) and go out of the way to point their weaknesses .
Soogar, I agree.......and it gets so boring every single time you read their posts it the same thing, nothing new........the same thing. I don't even think they know they're doing it. I can stand constructive criticism but just being mean brings out the mean in me. I just want to yell........Grow Up!!!

Dee

antmanb

Record Breaker
I believe that's exactly what you did to Caroline Zhang on this board and other boards. Can we call it bashing based on your own definition?

I still don't know if you wear pants or skirt and I am damn serious. Please don't consider this as bashing.

Not unless your posts are also thrown in there for your less than constructive criticisms of various skaters.

Ant

Soogar, I agree.......and it gets so boring every single time you read their posts it the same thing, nothing new........the same thing. I don't even think they know they're doing it. I can stand constructive criticism but just being mean brings out the mean in me. I just want to yell........Grow Up!!!

Dee
There is always the option to ignore.

I'm one for constantly praising Caroline, and that can be boring for some too.

Joe

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
:laugh:
This thread is funny...

Ok, as a frequent poster who receives PMs on my nastiness, here is my two-part definition of bashing:

1. If I can go back to the thread and say "damn! that's was pretty mean & nasty!" then I'm bashing.... and its usually not a skater but another poster. Skaters are fair game, because of the subjective nature of the sport. But then, I'm a true sports fan with favorites who doesn't believe that skating is so pure & perfect that it should be put on an ice princess pedistal...

2. Anyone who doesn't worship at the alter of :bow: Michelle Kwan:bow: the Greatest of All Time!!:yes: :yes:

Last edited:

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:laugh:
This thread is funny...

Ok, as a frequent poster who receives PMs on my nastiness,

Oh my gosh KW, who would think you are nasty. I think you're one of the funniest posters here. I don't see you as being mean.

Kwanford Wife said:
2. Anyone who doesn't worship at the alter of :bow: Michelle Kwan:bow: the Greatest of All Time!!:yes: :yes:

See this is exactly what I mean. :laugh: :laugh: :clap: :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

R.D.

Record Breaker
There is a difference between being snobby about it and being funny about it. I mean, even though I despise the attitudes of many uberKwan fans, I get a chuckle out of KW's posts.

heyang

Record Breaker
I know that some people are willing to say anything directly.

I would say bashing is partially about posting something that you never would say the same way directly to the subject. To use other people's examples, I would never stand in front of Emily and say "You're a klutz and look ungraceful". Even if you thought it and really wanted to say it, you would hesitate and/or say it in a nicer way. (For example, 'Have you ever thought about taking dance classes to enhance your extensions?')

The internet allows us to be anonymous beings - some feel that this permits him/her to be blunt. Others are just being plain nasty.

It certainly doesn't hurt anyone to practice politeness and courtesy and diplomacy in cyberspace and reality.

R.D.

Record Breaker
oh man, even the nastiest comments here PALE in comparison to stuff I see on youtube and on blogs.

(not to excuse folks getting down and personal on this forum, though. take it to PM if necessary.)

antmanb

Record Breaker
I know that some people are willing to say anything directly.

I would say bashing is partially about posting something that you never would say the same way directly to the subject. To use other people's examples, I would never stand in front of Emily and say "You're a klutz and look ungraceful". Even if you thought it and really wanted to say it, you would hesitate and/or say it in a nicer way. (For example, 'Have you ever thought about taking dance classes to enhance your extensions?')

The internet allows us to be anonymous beings - some feel that this permits him/her to be blunt. Others are just being plain nasty.

It certainly doesn't hurt anyone to practice politeness and courtesy and diplomacy in cyberspace and reality.

I do take your point about anonymity, but there is a world of difference between what you would say to a skater's face and what how yo critique a performance.

I think Sasha's and Sarah Hughes' flutz are both awful. As a viewer and appreciator of skating and as a skater - there's no two ways about it - the flutz is pronounced for both of them. Would i ever say that to either of them face to face? Of course not!!! As a skater i'd be tooo darn humble...what if they say - ok you show me your attempt at a triple lutz and we'll see who's closer!! :rofl: Or they could ask to see the medals i've won for skating and i'd sheepishly slink off!

I would write a reivew of their competitive performances and mention their flutzes even if i knew they would be the first to get a copy. For some reason doing it as a "reviewer" allows me to be honest in a way i wouldn't be to their faces.

Ant

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Heyang, I think you hit the nail on the head. That also makes them cowards!!!

Dee

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
I believe that's exactly what you did to Caroline Zhang on this board and other boards. Can we call it bashing based on your own definition?

I still don't know if you wear pants or skirt and I am damn serious. Please don't consider this as bashing.

When did I ever calll ANY skater "an ugly little rat-faced skater with no talent," I'd love it if you could point it out. I have pointed out the faults in Zhangs skating (yes, she does have faults), but I have never ever made personal attacks on her, or any other skater.

WTF do my "pants or skirts" have to do with anything? What is your obsession here? Get over it, I'm a girl, what does it matter you troll?