Need a fish craft... calling all teachers | Golden Skate

Need a fish craft... calling all teachers

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
thought I had one, but found out the sunday school teacher for the first hour will be doing the same one...

I need a fish/Jesus feeding the five thousand craft... help!

it's for 5 year old girls, and we shy away from paint lol

'Scuse me if this is too obvious (I teach but not tiny tots and not crafts! you did say "all," lol):

Beforehand, draw fish and loaves about a foot long each on a piece of cardboard or heavy paper and cut them out. One or two of each should suffice to convey the symbolism. Cut the fish/loaf vertically (or zig zag - whatever) in fairly wide stripes - not too many (maybe twice as many pieces as you have little girls). Then reassemble them on a table top like a jigsaw puzzle. This is what the girls see when they come in.

Their activity is to:

(1) decorate the pieces with whatever you don't steer clear of (glue and sequins or glitter would be great - if not, then crayons). If they take the pieces apart to do this and then put them back together, there should be a nice crazy-quilt effect. If the fish & loaf shapes are cut into relatively few large pieces, this should not be too hard to do.

(2) re-enact the distribution and leftovers, and

(3) take "their" own piece of fish or bread home to mom & dad. If there's time, they could also decorate the back of their piece with a hand-print or drawing of an open hand (to symbolize sharing) or a word that each of them thinks of to remember the story by. If they can't write yet, maybe you could write "SHARE" or "FEED MY SHEEP" on the board and they could copy it in baby writing in crayon. (Yeah, I know sheep don't eat fish....)

Dunno if this would work at all but maybe it will get your own juices flowing.

Last edited: