TV Alert--Nationals Exhibitions | Page 4 | Golden Skate

TV Alert--Nationals Exhibitions

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
For those (like me) a bit old for this

http://www.netlingo.com/right.cfm?term=IYKWIM

Here's a dictionary of leet speak & other netlingo items. There are others, but this is the one that comes up first. (Google is your friend. These acronyms just pop right up. Otherwise I'd never know what my son is IMing me about.)

waxel

Final Flight
I liked the interview Kurt with tanith and Even. Bens Imprestion was funny to.
I thought it was appalling. I do not care one iota that they are dating. You'd think they were Scarlett and Rhett, Charles and Diana, Britney and K-Fed ... they're kids that live on opposite sides of the country and could be broken up by this time next month. I wish them no romantic ill will... but really... who cares? Cut this silly crap and show more skating.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I so agree. Who cares if they are dating right now. By next year, they could be looking the other way when they cross paths. Tanith was getting over her breakup with Fedor Andreev last season after a long relationship, and she took up with Evan during the COI tour. So he's her interim/rebound boyfriend, and very likely he will not last.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Such is the American media right now... you cannot fault Kurt for doing his job. ABC, not Kurt, chose to do and show the fluff pieces... ABC's people wrote teh stupid 'script'... be upset with teh people that are really in charge...

jennylovskt

Medalist
I think Brian Boitaino could wear two hats as a commentator and interviewer. He has a good voice, speaks well and is respected in the skating community.

I would rather not. I prefer so much to see his skating to listen to his talking. I like kurt, he is funny, he is smart. But don't let any of your shortcomings get into his hand. He can be very sharp and wicked.

To me, the highlight was Caroline Zhang. I have seen only a couple of her skating videos before. I like her very much! She will be the next Michelle Kwan.

I like Kurt's interview with Johnny before his performance. Johnny's performance was OK, but not impressive. I was amazed that how the color would make such a big difference on a person. Look how slim and delicate he seemed in his LP with his black costume compare with his white one in the exhibition.

Kurt's interview after Tanith&Ben's performance with Evan was a little awkward. I felt sorry for Tanith and Evan. The media made such a big deal on their dating. Look how uncomfortable they were.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
know how I know that Zhang is like young Kwan?

Everyone goes on and on about her and yet I don't see what the big deal is. :laugh: :scratch: maybe it's just not my style. She does have potential though.

Everyone goes on and on about her and yet I don't see what the big deal is. :laugh: :scratch:
When you saw Michelle get sixth at U.S. nationals at age 12, that didn't mark her as someone to watch?

When Caroline won her junior grand prix event by 40 points and the final by 20, you don't see what the big deal is?

You're a tough man to impress, big dog. :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Over the past five years I've been paying close attention to skating, I can remember a few names- Ye Bin Mok...AP McDonough...Angela Nikodinov...Elena Sokolova...Viktoria Volchkova(sp?)...and to a lesser extent, Carolina Kostner and Miki Ando...all of which, in one way or another, failed to live up to expectations. They were supposed to be the next "big ones" but came up short. Granted, one can argue that Sokolova did win World Silver in 2003 and therefore doesn't belong on the list...but she quickly went downhill from there instead of improving to be a world gold/OGM contender.

OTOH, you have those what DID jump up the ranks very quickly...Tara Lipinski...Kimmie Meissner...to a lesser extent, Michelle Kwan. All three ended up with World championships early in their career. Those come to my mind immediately; I might have left a couple out.

My point is that I just hope people aren't going to jump to the conclusion that this Caroline Zhang is going to keep on rolling straight into seniors. Maybe I'm just the type to sit back and wait while the other folks get on the bandwagon (and crash with it should it go down???)...and besides, more importantly, she's definitely unique for 13 but I don't think she's THAT great to the point to justify all the endless gushing on this forum and other forums. I felt the same way about MK (after 2002).

A bit long but I have to get it out there.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well I don't know about you RD but some of us need new hopefuls. I know for one I am missing Kwan, Cohen and other favorites that have moved on. It has been an adjustment for me to face the season without those people I've watched compete for 4-6 years or longer. If people are excited about Zhang, let them be........ they probably need to be. What is wrong with that???

Dee

Everyone goes on and on about her and yet I don't see what the big deal is. :laugh: :scratch: maybe it's just not my style. She does have potential though.
It's the age, RD. It's very unusual for a kid that age to project a feel for music beyond what the choreographer is telling her what to do. She's not 100 per cent there yet, but barring injuries and illnesses and continuing to focus, she will be dynamite in the coming years. And btw, she should have an easy win of Junior Ladies World Champion. That's a big competition too.

Joe

Oh yes, btw. MK won Golds at 5 Worlds and 9 Nats and medals at 2 Olys after that 'lesser extent'. Maybe coming up so fast doesn't work for longevity. What about Sasha? She started out fast and then? beaten by Kimmie.

Joe

Over the past five years I've been paying close attention to skating, I can remember a few names- Ye Bin Mok...AP McDonough...Angela Nikodinov...Elena Sokolova...Viktoria Volchkova(sp?)...and to a lesser extent, Carolina Kostner and Miki Ando...all of which, in one way or another, failed to live up to expectations.
Great skaters, one and all! :clap: :bow:

If you think about it, there are 5 billion people on the planet. Ye Bin Mok is, say, the 100th best skater in the wolrd. That puts her in the top .0000002%.

I wish I were in the top .0000002% of somehing. :cool:

Thanks for the perspective, MM - great way to look at it.

RD, I wish you'd stop telling other people who they should talk about and who they can't gush about. Face it, it's more fun to be positive and most people are actually happy to discover new talents and enjoy old ones.

Some of the names on your list of "failed to achieve potential" - wow. Miki Ando has struggled for sure but to put her on that list in a year when she won Skate America and got silvers at Japanese Nats and TEB, is expected to make the worlds podium - and we can't judge her harshly at GPF since she injured herself... well, like I said - wow. Same for Kostner - she just came back from a big injury with a Gold at Europeans and is also a podium contender at worlds. And they're 19! Maybe you're counting them out a little too soon? (I'll just mention Shizuka Arakawa...)

Who does live up to your idea of success in this sport? There was only one Kwan and you don't seem to have much admiration for her either.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I wish I were in the top .0000002% of somehing. :cool:
You know you are.:p Changed my views on Math, you must be a top .0000003% teacher. btw - Are Davis and White in any of your classes?;)

Spun, ITA with the sentiment. BUT I think RD is pretty good at saying "for me I will....., you do whatever." So Most of the time I don't get that impression - he is "really" saying you can't talk, or shouldn't. More often the word "frump" comes to mind.:laugh:

Remember where the red bulldog image stems from. It is kind of fitting really. If it wasn't for bringing in the "bull ," MM would have never gave that great example. See it pays off!

But really, I see his point. I was kind of "taken back" a couple of skaters this year and am more reluctant then before yet some I just can't help thinking they'll be better than sliced bread:biggrin: . I should know better, but it is relative to the individual. Some might not speculate for different reasons...it is all good. At the same time the speculators have their "right" to speculate, the other side of that coin has a "right" to be heard too.

Maybe the understanding that when someone voices their high hopes, that is all that is read, when one could assume there is "another side" to the remarks. So an interpreter might only see it as "whimsical hopes" and not realize the optimistic comments are only one side of how the poster feels.

Every time I say something about Fumie, I know in the back of my mind the possibility "I am so wrong," will rear it's ugly head. And here Alissa, I am trying to stay "realistic" about and that could turn out more positive then I expect. But we mostly present one side only. I bet that a singer on American Idol would make it down to the last 10 ladies. I lost 10 bucks, and it sounds like I am going to lose 20 more because another one might be gone too. I knew in the back of my head it might not come to fruition, but I didn't tell that to the guys I bet against. ...Blaa blaa, hope that made sense.

Maybe some are just trying to stir it up a little to get to the real substance. All Milk and no Meat. I push people once and a while and from the reaction get a clearer understanding of what is more likely the truth and not just a bunch of roses OR thorns.

..oh geesh, did I really just stand up for RD??? What is wrong with me?:rofl:

ON TOPIC, someone here liked the Tanith, Evan and Ben rink side interview. Some think Kurt will become a good interviewer. For someone to say " I don't know, it might be to soon to tell." Is not really saying you can't entertain the idea or post about it, more "I wouldn't and this is why I don't think it is a good idea."

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
MM- I think it's 6 billion ;) ...maybe 6.5 billion by now as the 6B mark was reached in 1999.

Spun Silver said:
Entire post

Folks, these are NOT *my* expectations. They're the expectations of the people at large. Even folks I did not include on the list- like Cohen- have failed to live up to some folks' expectations (not winning gold). And even the Big One- Kwan- didn't live up to EVERYONE's expectations because she didn't win the OGM- not counting the other major events she did win.

Not necessarily my OWN expectations. I think many of those skaters on that list should be proud of what they were able to accomplish in their careers (or what they have accomplished so far). Sokolova has world silver, Ando has a shot at a World medal this year, Kostner has the European Championship, Nikodinov won SA in (2004?)...so on. Even if Kimmie for some reason wins nothing else from here on out she's still the 2006 world champion and that's a big one for that resume.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I should add that I see a few posters seem to think (or get the idea that) I think liking Caroline, or gushing about her is BAD. Not true. We may share the same "hmm, she's definitely got that something and has great potential" mentality, but once we get to "wow, she's the next MK" it's the idea of being in the minority again (not completely sold on Zhang) that's creeping up here...If I were to change Caroline's name to Emily Hughes, for example I don't think I would have gotten the response that I did. The law of numbers...(and emotions :laugh: )