ESPN takes snipes at Johnny (@4CC)? | Golden Skate

ESPN takes snipes at Johnny (@4CC)?

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
I hope I don't start another 100+ posts thread, but it seemed to me that ESPN was once again very snippy towards Johnny's absence at 4CC?
Jeremy Abbot's presence was attributed to Johnny "having a busy schedule" - while 4CC is not an event he typically competes at. However, N&B's presence was explained as simply "filling G&P" spot.

Then, a comment was made with regard to Evan competing - something along the lines that Evanchose to come here to face the cometition. To me that seemed a catty remark with respect to johnny. Maybe I am seeing things...

had to rant, sorry.

twinsissv

Rinkside
I hope I don't start another 100+ posts thread, but it seemed to me that ESPN was once again very snippy towards Johnny's absence at 4CC?
Jeremy Abbot's presence was attributed to Johnny "having a busy schedule" - while 4CC is not an event he typically competes at. However, N&B's presence was explained as simply "filling G&P" spot.

Then, a comment was made with regard to Evan competing - something along the lines that Evanchose to come here to face the cometition. To me that seemed a catty remark with respect to johnny. Maybe I am seeing things...

had to rant, sorry.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's something we'll just have to become accustomed to hearing. It's not the first and definitely won't be the last bit of cattiness. I just hope Johnny is strong enough to take it and rise above it. Some people will not pass up the opportunity to snipe at him. :disapp: What they should remember is that everything goes in cycles. :yes:

psycho

On the Ice
Compared to the garbage they've been dumping on his head all season, this sounds pretty innocent.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think you can interpret the broadcast in a number of ways...

I'm surprised no one made comments of the 'catty' comment Dick had during the exhibitions... he mentioned Johnny there too ;)

G/P didn't give a reason to the press or anywhere as to why they didn't compete... they left it up for people to speculate... where as johnny probably gave a reason so as not to get the speculation... he was thinking of travelling to Russia at the time, if I read his journal correctly, so perhaps that's what they were referring to.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
But he wasn't even there! I am kind of resolved to hearing that kind of stuff when he competes, but give it a rest!

Alos, wasn't it known at Nationals that Johnny was not going to Russia, so him "skipping" 4CC was not due to traveling to Tarasova show? Also, the point I was trying to make is that Johnny typically doesn't compete at 4CC, so why doesn't metter if he is traveling or not? Just say that Jeremy got his spot.

BTW, my grandma in CA gets the Russian TV and last night they broadcasted Tarasova tribute show. She said it was spectacular. Unfortunately she doesn't know how to use the VCR, so I don't get to watch it, dang! (i found out by accident - i happened to phone her during the broadcast). Hopefully it will be on the youtube.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The USFS should be glad that Johnny didn't do 4CC. If he had gone, Jeremy Abbott wouldn't have gotten to skate there. By winning a 4CC medal, Jeremy will get GP invitations next season.

Johnny fulfilled his NYC commitment and got in more practice time, and Jeremy's first full international season is assured. IMO it was a win-win for both.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
The USFS should be glad that Johnny didn't do 4CC. If he had gone, Jeremy Abbott wouldn't have gotten to skate there. By winning a 4CC medal, Jeremy will get GP invitations next season.

Johnny fulfilled his NYC commitment and got in more practice time, and Jeremy's first full international season is assured. IMO it was a win-win for both.

yeah, i think so to. Jeremy go the chacne to go out there and compete and did very well for himself. johnny got the practice time and rest.

orchid

On the Ice
Johnny, Johnny, Johnny, all about Johnny. C'mon he is all about drama and the media picks up upon it.

He chooses to skip an important skating event to participate in a 'pro' event with his buddy Tarosava but hangs behind the curtain to peek at his competition.

Yawn, Go Evan & Ryan

MissIzzy

Final Flight
According to Johnny's journal, skipping 4CC was pretty much his coach's decision, since it was a safe assumption after Nationals that he wasn't up for it. It is also worth noting that the one time in his career he went to 4CC, he hadn't made the Worlds team, so it was that or nothing. And apparently he wasn't allowed to go to Tasarova's show because he didn't do 4CC :eek:hwell:.
Personally, I'll be watching as much of the champions as I can on whatever British Eurosport footage makes it to YouTube. Far more interesting commentary to listen to, IMHO.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
He chooses to skip an important skating event to participate in a 'pro' event with his buddy Tarosava but hangs behind the curtain to peek at his competition.

Since when did 4CC become an "important" competition? I think this year was the only time nearly all National medalists attended. It is a 2nd tier comp, that's why Michelle, Sasha, top Japan singles, Todd, Timothy etc never skated there. Historically, only the dance and pairs Natioanl medalists attended 4CC.

But most importantly, as MissLizzy and myself stated - Jonny hasn't been to this event since 2002 when he wasn't on the world team. Why should it matter what else he was doing isntead. AND - he was told by the federation that he can't go to Tarasova show around Nationals time, so that wasn't even an excuse.

Your post was very disrespectful to the relationship figure skaters have with tatiana Tarasova, who was celebrating 50 years of a very successful coaching. Johnny wanted to honor her by being there.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
to be honest I was surprised G/P was mentioned at all. ABC/ESPN have never been overly into them - Terry Gannon being the only exception I can think of, and that was really just last season that he seemed to bring them up a lot - they probably didn't think anyone cared about why G/P weren't there...

njtoddfan

Rinkside
Since when did 4CC become an "important" competition? I think this year was the only time nearly all National medalists attended. It is a 2nd tier comp, that's why Michelle, Sasha, top Japan singles, Todd, Timothy etc never skated there.

IIRC, Todd competed at 4CCs in either 2000 or 2001 but had to withdraw after the short program due to an injury.

Tara

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Johnny, Johnny, Johnny, all about Johnny. C'mon he is all about drama and the media picks up upon it.

Yawn, Go Evan & Ryan

If 4 CC's is such an important competition then why was the arena nearly empty of spectators? Wanna place a bet as to how many US medalists show up at the '08 4 CC's?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Since when did 4CC become an "important" competition? I think this year was the only time nearly all National medalists attended. It is a 2nd tier comp, that's why Michelle, Sasha, top Japan singles, Todd, Timothy etc never skated there. Historically, only the dance and pairs Natioanl medalists attended 4CC.

I have understood that 4CC was created to be something like Europeans for European skaters. In past years it has not been an important event like that, but if the ISU/federations seriously now try to make it such, I definetely see it as a positive thing.