Which American Will be on the Podium | Golden Skate

Which American Will be on the Podium

Here's a good opinion statement to make. It is not a prediction and should not be used to tell us your favorite.

Which American will it be in Tokyo for a Podium result.

Lysacek, Weir, Meissner, Hughes, B&A, I&B? Other? Pick one if you think that one will make the podium.

The above listed seem to be the best possible finishers but in my opinion. I do not see any of them on the podium in Tokyo.

Joe

I think Lysacek has a shot, assuming that Lambiel does not not compete. Joubert may have peaked too soon and now he is dealing with an injury and new boots. Buttle, judging from Four Continents, is not completely back to top form. I like Oda, but he doesn't have a quad. Takahashi has skated great in his last two performances, but his consistency is always a question. Weir seems to be down in the dumps emotionally.

I think the men's competition will be wide open and full of surprises.

For the ladies, I'll go with the U.S. Nationals long program winner to put it all together. (Then again, I picked Julia Sebestyen for the Grand Prix Final podium.)

I agree that Belbin and Agosto have their work cut out for them if they want to make the podium this year.

flying camel

Medalist
Lysacek, Kimmie & B & A will be on the podium. I don't think any of them will win Gold, but they will medal.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'd be surprised to hear if Lysacek doesn't medal at worlds with how he's been doing lately. As for Ladies this is a gimme obviously...(hint hint ;) come on, who else would it be? Czisny?? )

Oh yeah...Belbin and Agosto should also be on their podium :yes:

Last edited:

ArwenIcePrincess

Rinkside
I'll be quite shocked if Evan doesn't medal. IMO if he skates clean the only people who can beat him are Stephane, Brian, and Emanuel- Emanuel never delivers, and even if Stephane shows he will be out of practice.

soogar

Record Breaker
I wouldn't be surprised if B&A fell off the podium. It looks like other teams are being set up to pass them.

I think for the men- it could potentially be 2 guys on the podium- Evan and Johnny. Brian injured his foot and could be a question mark. The Japanese guys aren't all that and the pressure of the Japanese media may do them in.

Ladies- Kimmie will be on the podium. I also think Alissa and Emily have outside shots at the bronze.

Pairs- US will get a bronze.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
i don't think we will have any pairs this time, but Evan should certainly be at least third, and the same for kimmmie. Belbin and Agosto might get in there.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If B/A aren't on the podium it will have been because their first FD selection was a bomb and they didn't have enough time to polish the replacement sufficiently. I don't think it's because "other teams have been set up to pass them". B/A are having an off year, just as Den/Sta have had in the past, but they are not over and done by any means. And it is not guaranteed that they will be off the podium this year.

Otherwise, I wish I could be as optimistic as soogar.

Czisny on the podium? I don't think so. She couldn't make the podium at 4CC, and the pressure is going to be far worse at Worlds.

I don't see Emily on the podium at all, since she can't seem to skate a clean FS with all the technical elements included. She has no triple loop and no 3/3s, so I can't see her passing Ando, Kim or Asada, let alone Meissner.

Meissner has shot at the podium IF she turns in a good SP and a near-perfect FS with both 3/3s landed.

Lysacek has a shot too, but he MUST skate a clean SP because he can't allow Oda and Takahashi to get too far ahead on points. Joubert, even with a sore foot and new boots, is still a formidable opponent with his multiple quads. I would love to see Weir on the podium, or at least within a few points of it, because that would surely rejuvenate his career and his morale---but I wouldn't be placing any bets on that happening. I just hope Johnny skates well and is pleased with his performance.

Even if I/B land the 3A in both SP and FS, and John lands clean 3Ts and 2As, they won't make the podium. They aren't going to be able to pass 3 Chinese teams, Savchenko/Szolkowy or even clean-skating Pettikhs in their final eligible appearance. If I/B make top 5 or 6 this year, that would be an accomplishment to be proud of. Last year there were only 2 Chinese teams, and the Germans were not in good form because of the conflict over their coaching.

indicatoto101

On the Ice
I don't watch dance so I don't know anything about A/B. But between Kimmie and Evan, Kimmie has a better chance of medalling. Evan has more competitors that could potentially outscore him if they skate clean and with energy/passion/artistry (i.e., Joubert, Takahashi, Oda because of the GOEs and strong short, Buttle, Weir, Sandhu and Lambiel if he returns). The last three are real wildcards but they do have the potential to beat him, IMO of course.

soogar

Record Breaker
:banging:
We'll see about that!
Otherwise I tend to agree with you. But WHICH pairs team? I'd say our new national champs.

Pairs is crapshoot- it could be either team. I think John and Rena have enough international cred that they could be in it for a medal, however I was shocked at the Nationals results. Pairs is wide open on an international level.

As for the Japanese men- I don't find any of them appealing. Even in Takahashi's "brilliant" SA program of last year- I thought he was messy and all over the place. I don't think Oda has a quad and there are too many good men out there who can make it on the podium. Euros was a shocker with Verner and Van Der Perrin making the podium alongside Brian. What was even more astonishing was that the quality of skating was very high from these "B" list skaters- proving under COP that it really is anyone's game and whoever can lay down the goods can get in there for a medal.

My thought is that with the US men- both Evan and Johnny have proven in the past that they can get medals. Johnny is always a threat and the judges have a very high regard for his skating- if he can put the goods down he will medal and Evan already has medalled in 2 previous worlds.

The ladies field too is wide open. I don't feel Mao or Yu Na are so above Kimmie that Kimmie can't defend her title. I also feel very good about Emily's chances for a medal as well.

rain

Record Breaker
I expect Lysacek to be on the podium somewhere. I think Meissner has a good shot. I think B/A will be left off. All three D/S teams, Russia, Bulgaria and France have more momentum with them coming into worlds. Add to that mix D/L and I think B/A will drop in the standings.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
If B/A aren't on the podium it will have been because their first FD selection was a bomb and they didn't have enough time to polish the replacement sufficiently. I don't think it's because "other teams have been set up to pass them". B/A are having an off year, just as Den/Sta have had in the past, but they are not over and done by any means. And it is not guaranteed that they will be off the podium this year.

Otherwise, I wish I could be as optimistic as soogar.

Czisny on the podium? I don't think so. She couldn't make the podium at 4CC, and the pressure is going to be far worse at Worlds.

I don't see Emily on the podium at all, since she can't seem to skate a clean FS with all the technical elements included. She has no triple loop and no 3/3s, so I can't see her passing Ando, Kim or Asada, let alone Meissner.

Meissner has shot at the podium IF she turns in a good SP and a near-perfect FS with both 3/3s landed.

Lysacek has a shot too, but he MUST skate a clean SP because he can't allow Oda and Takahashi to get too far ahead on points. Joubert, even with a sore foot and new boots, is still a formidable opponent with his multiple quads. I would love to see Weir on the podium, or at least within a few points of it, because that would surely rejuvenate his career and his morale---but I wouldn't be placing any bets on that happening. I just hope Johnny skates well and is pleased with his performance.

I think that kimmie and evan have agood chance of winning, certainly of placing on the podium. I think you are basing your predictions on where they woudl place if everyone skater thier best. which, i don't have to say, rarely happens. And with thier ability to come back..anything can happen.

R.D.

Record Breaker

Agreed. This is Alyssa's first worlds and to predict podium finish for her is a HUUUUUUUGE expectation. I hope she doesn't feel that kind of pressure there. I'd say a top 10 finish (inc. 10th) would be an accomplishment for her. I think even with one fall she can meet that goal. Multiple falls could endanger her greatly though.

I used to think so but now I believe this is conservative thinking. The European girls are basically in the same boat as far as landing all the jumps. Only Kim and Asada IMO have a more ASSURED shot at the podium than Kimmie. I watched her at 4CCs and was actually impressed. She was no longer boring and plain but seemed to go along with the music well. Those PBP folks were right on. What a turnaround from last year.

Even Yu-na is a question-mark now because of her injury. To me Mao Asada is the clear favorite to win this Worlds. But if she slips up Kimmie could surpass her...in the long that is. It's very possible that Asada could end up with an insurmountable lead. It's IMPERATIVE that Kimmie do a good short if she wants to be in position to win (not medal, but WIN).

I see many posts having B&A on the podium or having a good shot at it.

B&A v. D&S Bul, D&S Russ, D&L Can, D&L Fra,

OK. but just a shot.

Joe

thank you SS. How could I? That's the team that is impressing me most this season.

B&A v. D&S France.

Oh those typos. Thanks again.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
I say, three-three shmee-three. It will get left on practice and warmup ice....like Kimmie's 3 Axel. I bet we'll never see it again- and she doesn't really need it any more, IMO

Last edited: