2007 World Junior Figure Skating Championships - Preview | Golden Skate

2007 World Junior Figure Skating Championships - Preview

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2007 World Junior Championships will take place in Oberstdorf, Germany from February 26 to March 4. Coming off of unprecedented success at the Junior Grand Prix Final, with gold medals in every discipline and nine of the twelve medals in all, U.S. skaters are favored to dominate once again.
More

Sylvia

Record Breaker
"Spain's Sonia Lafuente, who won a JGP event despite being 30th at this championship last year;"

Correction: Lafuente won the silver medal at the Mexico JGP.

The preview article seems to cover pretty much what we've been discussing so far in the Junior Worlds folder/forum here at GS. :)

With all due respect to all the skater's named, I can't help but go back to the GPs this past season, and see all those Americans raking in medals. I think the American Junior Team. including all disciplins, is stronger than its Senior Team.

Joe

flying camel

Medalist
I think the American Junior Team. including all disciplins, is stronger than its Senior Team.

Sad to say, But your right.!

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Link to the ISU's overview of the top contendors:
http://www.isu.org/vsite/vcontent/c...-3787-4771-layout160-129898-news-item,00.html

Sergei Voronov (RUS/2006 Jr. World silver medalist) and Patrick Chan (CAN) in men, Chae-Hwa Kim (KOR) and Arina Martinova (RUS) in ladies, and Li/Xu (CHN) in pairs are the skaters who competed in the Senior, and not Junior, Grand Prix this past fall. I think it's fair to say that this season appeared to be more of a rebuilding year on the JGP for countries other than the USA.

Last edited:
Link to the ISU's overview of the top contendors:
http://www.isu.org/vsite/vcontent/c...-3787-4771-layout160-129898-news-item,00.html

Sergei Voronov (RUS/2006 Jr. World silver medalist) and Patrick Chan (CAN) in men, Chae-Hwa Kim (KOR) and Arina Martinova (RUS) in ladies, and Li/Xu (CHN) in pairs are the skaters who competed in the Senior, and not Junior, Grand Prix this past fall. I think it's fair to say that this season appeared to be more of a rebuilding year on the JGP for countries other than the USA.
some of them even skated in Calgary Worlds!

I think a lot of strategy is being used to prevent the US in overtaking the Junior Worlds.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
some of them even skated in Calgary Worlds!

I think a lot of strategy is being used to prevent the US in overtaking the Junior Worlds.

Joe

I don't think that's true, Joe. The fact is the RFSF is between a rock and a hard place as far as the Singles skaters go. Their results weren't good in the JGP, with only Borodulin making the JGPF, but not medaling. The Russian ladies did even worse, wiith two ladies winning one medal each, but none making the final. The Russian men are consistently inconsistent, and so are the ladies, Sokolova included. Martinova and Voronov may have skated in the GP, but their results weren't exactly great. They were sent to the GP because they were the best of a very inconsistent lot. And that is true for them returning to JW this year as well.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Russia and other countries are just doing what they usually do re. Jr. Worlds -- they will send their ISU Jr. age-eligible skaters they think have the best chance of placing well. For example, France sent Yannick Ponsero back to 2006 Junior Worlds after he had won the silver medal in 2005 and competed in the Senior Grand Prix that fall, and Ponsero ended up winning the bronze last year in his final year of eligibility.

ETA: Also, the skaters' placements at Jr. Worlds determine the number of allotted JGP slots per country next season.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Goooooooo Ashley!!!!! :)

It's really neat to see a predicted US sweep of the podium for the ladies. That says something about the new crop