Cecilia Colledge article | Golden Skate

Cecilia Colledge article

Sylvia

Record Breaker
http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/news/articles.asp?articleID=6053

Excerpts:
Not too many things stick out in the 86-year-old’s mind from her time spent here for the 1932 Olympic Winter Games. But the Lake Placid Club is one of them.

After all, she was only 11 at the time, which still stands as the youngest age at which anyone has ever competed in an Olympiad.
“I was only 11 at the time, so I don’t remember a great deal,” Colledge said. “I was here to skate. I basically did as I was told.”

Colledge finished eighth in Lake Placid while Henie took home her second of three Olympic gold medals.
But aside from the medals and championships, Colledge continues to be known as one of the great innovators in the sport and is credited with being the first skater to perform a free skating program and with inventing the parallel spin (now referred to as the “camel” spin) and the layback spin, including the variation with the free leg help up behind the with the hand holding the skate blade.

She was also the first woman to perform a double jump during competition at the European Championship in Berlin in 1936.

There have been skaters who remember her well and thought she should have won the l936 Olys. Would love to see some old movie clips of her.

Joe

antmanb

Record Breaker
There have been skaters who remember her well and thought she should have won the l936 Olys. Would love to see some old movie clips of her.

Joe

There was some footage if her on the BBC coverage of 1995 worlds in Birmingham. There was some of her and of Madge Sayers (is that right?). Oddly enough the footage was of one of them doing a toe-less lutz! I might see if its on youtube. I used to have it on tape.

Ant