4 Continents Thoughts. | Golden Skate

4 Continents Thoughts.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I thought that Kimmie and Evan were so cool! kimmie is REALLY growing on me, she really seemed to feel the music better and was determined to come back from 6th. Evan. what can i say? perfrect. like nationals again! I was happy to hear the kimmie wants to do the triple axel, i want to see her do one again. Belbin and agosto were MUSCh better than they were at nationals... it was really close i know, but acutaully i would have placed Davis and White first ( have you ever seen such amazing twizzles?) Tan and Ben seocnd and teh canadians, third. THis is the first time i really ever watched davis and white, but i was so impressed. They are skating to the same music as the russians, but i like the american's interpriation and costumes better. more understated, and easier to watch. Pairs... Rena had a bad fall on the axel, but FINALLY we saw that John can indeed land a triple toe. I keep wondering if they shoudl change that to triple salchows or somthing.. maybe it would be easier for john. he usually has no problem on the double axels, so maybe edge jumps are more his thing. Shen and Zhao were beautiful, as expected.. i wish they would show thier short program once in a while. it is a masterpeice as well. I loved that she got so happy after ward.. i could see it really ment somthing to beat the reigning world champs.

your thoughts?

:thumbsup: :clap: :biggrin: :biggrin:

rain

Record Breaker
I found the pairs to be a lackluster event following the terrible accident Dube/ Davison suffered. Totally understandable, but it really sucked the energy out of the entire competition, IMO. The accident was further heartbreaking, IMO, because D/D were skating so well up to that point. The double axel sequence picture perfect, the sbs triple sals, the throw..... oh well.

Meissner was the class of the field in the ladies. I think she is developing artistically by leaps and bounds this year. I really enjoy her FS. I thought Lysacek was much more impressive at U.S. nationals. Buttle skated really well, IMO, and looked better stamina-wise than I had expected. He needs to get his triple axels together.

I thought the two Canadian dance teams were the class of the field. Best performance of At Last I've seen from D/L all season. Makes me hope they are just peaking at the right time. Their dance just cast a spell.

B/A's FD was much better than it was at U.S. Nationals as they get more practice time in on it.

V/M just keep getting better and better. I thought it was interesting to watch them back to back with D/W. I thought V/M clearly had an edge when seen in this manner. Valse Triste is an absolute classic. V/M, D/W and B/A all had very impressive twizzles.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just loved watching Shen & Zhao, too bad they're taking some time off. I do hope they go for 2010. They are both being interviewed and answering questions in English. Shen is such a beautiful lady. I just totally enjoyed their performance.

Dee

The CBC commentators made the point that Shen and Zhou, skating a little after Jessica Dube's terrible accident, did their side-by-side spins so far apart that the cameraperson couldn't get them in the same frame.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Meissner was the class of the field in the ladies. I think she is developing artistically by leaps and bounds this year. I really enjoy her FS.

Me too! I almost had to say "that's Kimmie out there skating?"

evenstar

Final Flight
I really hope Shen/Zhao stay in for the next Olympic cycle, but it's really up to them, not my selfish wants!:laugh:

flying camel

Medalist
I was wondering if Emily thought if she played it safe and not fall that she could beat Kimmie. She did look disappointed after the results were shown.

kyla2

Final Flight
Comments

You know what hit me smack in the face about 4 Continents-how small the audience was. I was stunned. I have a feeling no one is going to televise skating before too long.

Evan was wonderful. He has a ton of guts. I would love to see him as World Champion for Frank Carroll's sake as well. He deserves another gold medalist.

Kimmie did a good job. She has a spine too and she has improved considerably.

Alissa was beautiful. I don't think we will ever see a perfect program from her however. Perhaps this is the price we pay for beautiful, truly graceful skating.

Emily didn't think Kimmie could come back as strong as she did. Emily's skating will never appeal to me. I feel guilty about this because I think she is a nice person.

Shen and Zhao were not 100% and even at that they were breathtaking. I am worried we will never see them again.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Emily didn't think Kimmie could come back as strong as she did. Emily's skating will never appeal to me. I feel guilty about this because I think she is a nice person.

Emily was only 2.85 points ahead of Kimmie after the SP. Kimmie beat Emily on the PCS scores in the SP, even with the mistake on the combo. Emily should have expected Kimmie, as reigning World Champion, to get higher PCS scores in the FS as well. And Kimmie had higher technical content than Emily in the FS, with the 3/3s.

I don't believe Emily intended to leave out her two big combos, but she should have realized that the gold medal was on the line and she needed to put back at least one of them before the end of the program. But she didn't. How she could have thought that tiny edge from the FS would make up for two skipped combos is beyond me. I was quite surprised to see that she really thought she was going to win that gold medal just because she didn't fall.

She should remember that a pop is worse than a fall, and leaving jumps out altogether is worse than a pop.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
so that makes emily delusional how? :scratch:

Well now she knows. Who could blame her, though? She almost won the US championship with a fall for crying out loud

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Actually, I believe the USFS judges deliberately made the event close because it adds interest and intrigue. I though Emily was overmarked in the FS and Kimmie slightly undermarked. Kimmie won the US Championship because of her win margin in the SP, and maybe that's why Emily thought she had it made because she was ahead of Kimmie in the SP at 4CC.

But Emily landed her two big combos in the Nationals FS, and the fall on the 3F cost her only 4 points. Leaving out the combos at 4CC cost her over 6 points. Also, the USFS tech team had given her level4 on her spiral and final combination spin, but the ISU techs gave her level3 on those elements.

The ISU judges were much more generous with Kimmie's PCS scores than the USFS judges were, and she got level4s on the spiral and her two combination spins, elements which were downgraded to level2 and level3 at Nationals.

The ISU judges were much more generous with Kimmie's PCS scores than the USFS judges were, and she got level4s on the spiral and her two combination spins, elements which were downgraded to level2 and level3 at Nationals.
As was pointed out in another thread, Emily went down one side of the arena and did a triple and then she went up the other side and did a triple. That is not good choreograhy with connecting steps. Wilson woud never choreograph like that.

She did skate easy clean and got her Tech points, but even with lower PCS I still think she was held up in that part of the scoring system. JMO.

A clean tech performance by anyone does not mean a great skate. We have to contend with judges who see a Quad and therefore the PCS scores go up too. duh. Separate PCS judges, please.

Joe

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
The CBC commentators made the point that Shen and Zhou, skating a little after Jessica Dube's terrible accident, did their side-by-side spins so far apart that the cameraperson couldn't get them in the same frame.

None of the pairs had clean sbs spins after that accident (the closest were Rena & John's spins although theirs weren't perfect either) and that event definitely got the excitement sucked out of it after Jess & Bryce's accident. Every time a pair went into their spins, you could feel the audience holding their breath. :unsure:

Some of the events at 4CC were held during the day when people were at work so that could be why it seemed so bare at times. The evening and weekend events were much better attended although I do have to say that the audience was very skating knowledgeable and responded appropriately for all the skaters. When someone skated great, they got huge applause and when someone had a rough skate, the audience cheered them on and gave them tons of encouragement. :yes:

*makes mental note to at least attempt getting some 4CC pics online this week* :eek:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

Shen and Zhao? every pair did far apart psins, but shen and zhao's we as close as ever. the commentaors mentioned this.

soogar

Record Breaker
Shen and Zhao? every pair did far apart psins, but shen and zhao's we as close as ever. the commentaors mentioned this.

S&Z were quoted in an interview on the USFS website that they spun further apart when they heard about the accident. I don't have a link 'cuz I'm lazy but it was there in the 4c coverage.

eliza88

On the Ice
This was Kimmie's best skate of the year! She looked great and so much more relaxed then at Nats!

Oh Alissa...such beauty and grace! Damn those jumps!

I do enjoy watching Rochette...her choreography is great! Jeff Buttle is amazing, and I don't care what people say about his jumps! He is one of the few skaters out there that makes excellent use of the COP's AND has captivating, memorable programs! Evan certainly skated well, but parts of the program any music could have been playing in the background!

Shen and Zhao...simply stunning! I hope they time they take off the ice is for themselves...perhaps they will come back in 2010 married AND take the Olympic Gold! They are IMO the only amazing pairs team out there and I will really miss them!

eliza88