American Idol - Top 24 | Golden Skate

American Idol - Top 24

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
the guys sang last night and I really only liked two

Blake and Jared, the rest were either forgettable or didn't sound good. Sundance should not have made it out of hollywood week. So much for Simon thinking he'd blow Taylor out of the water!

Ladies are tonight, and thursday sees two go home...

did anyone else watch?

merrywidow

Record Breaker
My favorites were:
1-Blake
2-Phil (slow start but cranked it up)
3- and
4-Chris & Chris

Send Sundance home with either Paul, Nick, Sanjaya or A.J.

mike79

On the Ice
I thought they were all terrible. The only ones that were remotely passable were Blake and Chris Sligh. Even their performances would have been blown away on previous seasons. I'd have to say it was possibly the worst night in American Idol history, up there with the likes of Gloria Estefan night.

I did like how Chris S. managed to ruffle Simon's feathers. I don't remember anyone ever doing that before. There have definitely been people who have talked back but none have really gotten under Simon's skin before. Of course, Simon has made millions off of Il Divo and the Teletubbies so I don't think he'll remain upset for too long.

I don't know if it was first night jitters or what, but I thought the guys were pretty boring. No one stood out at all. I didn't once sit up and say "wow, he's good". In fact, I only barely listened to the last few singing as I was about bored to tears.

I hope it was nerves and the guys will "bring it" in future weeks.

Hopefully, the girls will be more entertaining tonight.

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
Yeah this was probably the worst group of AI performances I've ever seen.

The highest I'd have given anyone last night is 6/10.

Blake is by far my favorite guy this season and I hope he pulls his voice together. Loved the song he did last night but the singing was BAD.

~Z

CB1AB2

Medalist
I actually fell asleep = that's how boring I thought they were = hope the girls do better tonight

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
The girls were incredible... aside for the two guys I like send them all home and keep more girls! ;)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
The girls were incredible... aside for the two guys I like send them all home and keep more girls! ;)

That's funny, I thought the guys were better than the girls. None of the girls were outstanding, they can all go home at this point.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
must be a border thing... the girls were incredible.... the guys were ho hum at best, and off key...

mike79

On the Ice
The girls were phenomenal compared to the guys. Better songs, better singing, better stage presence. The judges did a fantastic job selecting the woman, whereas with the guys you're left thinking: is that the best they could find?

I'll go out on a limb right now and say Lakisha will not win. Sure she got the cushy final spot last night and brought the house down, but if she's going to win she'll have to occasionally show some subtlety with her singing. And no, her version was not as good as Jennifer Hudson's. It was great, but Jennifer's version from Dreamgirls is in a whole different league.

Something tells me we're looking at Melinda becoming the next Idol and I'd be perfectly happy with that.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Didn't see it, how did Rachel do? Is Melinda the girl from Canada who looks like a mix of Celine Dion and Shania Twain? What about the 2 friends, one could REALLY sing and the other was kinda good? - they did the stupid bikini segment on them.

Even without seeing or hearing, there is never any doubt that there are going to be more "truly" talented girls than guys. Of course. Some of the guys just bugg the heck out of me anyway with the vibrato that usually sounds like crap. Guys loose vibrato when they reach their later teens for a reason. And very very few guys know how to force it after that age - Josh Groban & Plácido Domingo are good examples of good vibrato. I hate to say it, but that is something I loved about Taylor Hicks (eesh that grey fox:p) - no phony vibrato, so I like him for that. But that Chris dude last season. Ick, no mic control and he wobbled like a turkey when he would force it. Nice rock voice ruined by public influence and his inability to notice. Although his "idol" from Live - Ed Kowalczyk - is has great use of vibrato, some how Chris missed the gifted boat for vibrato and confused it with tremolo - maybe Ed set him straight. God knows the easy to please public didn't. People seem to want a good look and a unique voice and that is all anymore, oh well. Thank goodness there are Joshs and Jacks out there still to compensate.

That is what I really liked about Rachel (Opera girl?) nice clean clear and sustained notes. I think a lot of these singers think tremolo and vibrato are the same thing for they don't really add to the note, but shift it and change it trying to sound like Christina Aguilera (who is a rare rare rare case of a singer who sounds good using that technique. Maria Carry could when she first started back in the late 80s, but lost it big time, Oh Beyonce is good at it too....) Not to be confused with what a singer like Celine Dion does, that is true vibrato. Anyhoo, went off, sorry.....

Last edited:

mike79

On the Ice
I don't remember the Rachel that you're talking about. I'm guessing she probably showed some talent in the earlier rounds but there's no Rachel anymore. The Canadian girl didn't make it either.

Melinda is the girl who's very timid and shy that used to be a backup singer. She's fantastic.

About the two girls who are friends: One didn't make it out of Hollywood and the other was the worst of last night. She tried to sing that Aerosmith song from Armageddon and was terrible. The judges ate her up. She should be going home tonight although she probably won't just because she's pretty.

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I don't remember the Rachel that you're talking about. I'm guessing she probably showed some talent in the earlier rounds but there's no Rachel anymore. The Canadian girl didn't make it either.

Melinda is the girl who's very timid and shy that used to be a backup singer. She's fantastic.

About the two girls who are friends: One didn't make it out of Hollywood and the other was the worst of last night. She tried to sing that Aerosmith song from Armageddon and was terrible. The judges ate her up. She should be going home tonight although she probably won't just because she's pretty.

Thanks for the update, I went to the site and nadda Rachel.
http://www.realitytvmagazine.com/blog/2007/01/rachel_zevita_a.html
Bummer! I remember Melinda now I have seen her face, and Antonalle (http://www.americanidol.com/contestants/season6/antonella_barba/) or whatever is the girl that I knew her friend would leave quickly. She wins eating contests???? Maybe not surprising, large mouth, but doesn't seem the type. Yah she is really pretty, but there are others that are too.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Antonella did not do well last night... better than most of the guys... but didn't do well compared to the other ladies...

I LOVE Melinda... and I agree Lakisha probably won't win. Her body 'language' was distracting as is her posture. I know it's a singing competition, but they're looking for a super star and in the business image is everything... she doesn't seem to have a lot of self worth the way she holds her shoulders...

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Toni, what happened to Rachel, "how did it go down." Was she a spaz like I thought may be her downfall, too young in persona...???? What was it?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Oh Rachel... now I remember her... but I don't remember seeing her at all on the show after that... so nope can't help ya... an American Idol fan site/board would probably be better for you to ask...

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I wasn't that impressed with the girls. Most were very generic sounding. Lakisha is still my favorite & for once the judges agreed with me. But whether you like the men or women the best, don't forget who chose these people...Randy, Paula & Simon.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'll go out on a limb right now and say Lakisha will not win. Sure she got the cushy final spot last night and brought the house down, but if she's going to win she'll have to occasionally show some subtlety with her singing. And no, her version was not as good as Jennifer Hudson's. It was great, but Jennifer's version from Dreamgirls is in a whole different league.
Mike, I really hope you're wrong. I thought she was fabulous. The best thing she's got going for her is Simon likes her. I think she is a very humble person and it appears to me that she's fighting for her life out there. Yeah, she's a little on the heavy side but I thought her carriage was very good and when she sang it was like her life depended on it. Passion!!!

Mike79 said:
Something tells me we're looking at Melinda becoming the next Idol and I'd be perfectly happy with that.

That would be OK but what did you think of Sabrina??

Dee