no more qualifying rounds | Golden Skate

no more qualifying rounds

Sylvia

Record Breaker
FYI, there are no more qualifying rounds at ISU Championships, and this includes Junior Worlds.

See page 117 of this ISU document, specifically Rule 597 (Draws for Competitors at ISU Championships)
b) The draw for the Singles’ Short Program will be held according to the latest World Standings in the following way:

(i) the Skaters will be divided into two approximately equal parts with the higher ranked Competitors being drawn in the second part (thereafter called the part “skating later”) and the lower ranked Competitors and Competitors with no ranking being drawn in the first part (thereafter called the part “skating earlier”); if the number of Skaters can not be divided equally by two, the part “skating later” will include one Skater more than the part “skating earlier”;

(ii) if the number of Competitors with no ranking is bigger than the number of places in the first part, some of these Skaters (decided by draw) will be in the part “skating later”. For this draw all Competitors with no ranking will participate to draw for as many positions as necessary for the part “skating later”;

(iii) the number of Skating Groups in each part (“skating earlier” and “skating later”) and the number of Competitors in each Group will be determined according to Rule 548;

(iv) there will be a free draw among Competitors with the highest ranking to skate in the last two Groups of the “skating later” part;

(v) there will be a free draw among all other Competitors of the “skating later” part;

(vi) there will be one more free draw among all Competitors of the “skating earlier” part;

(vii) starting numbers are drawn according to the World Standings with the highest ranked Competitor being drawn first, the next ranked Competitor – second etc;

(viii) in cases of ties in the World Standings there will be a separate draw between tied Competitors to decide the order of the main draw and (in cases of ties on the border of the parts or of the last 2 Groups) the part and the Groups these Competitors belong to;

(ix) in case of more than thirty six (36) Competitors there will be a break between the two parts of the event specified above.

So, this means if the current roster number stays the same (53 ladies), then the first group of Ladies SP will include Mirai Nagasu (unranked) and 25 other skaters. I think this group of 26 works out to be the following 5 flights: 4-5-5-6-6. The second group of 27 would have the following 5 flights: 5-5-5-6-6.

ISU world rankings as of Feb. 10, 2007 of the top 27 junior ladies (second group of Ladies SP) listed on the Jr. Worlds roster as of Feb. 21, 2007:
1 Takeda JPN 32
2 Choi KOR 40
3 Martinova RUS 41
4 C-H Kim KOR 43
5 Lepisto FIN 46
6 Shin KOR 49
7 Zhang USA 58
8 Wagner USA 60
9 Suizu JPN 63
10 Vahamaa FIN 65
11 Berton ITA 68
12 Samson CAN 79
(top 12 would draw for the final 2 SP groups)
-------------------------------------------
13 Simaova CZE 86
14 Lafuente ESP 91
15 Issakova EST 93
16 Muramoto JPN 108
17 Heim SWI 121
18 Hamui MEX 140
19 Frank AUT 155
20 Guo CHN 166
21 James GBR 166
22 Czarnotta POL 180
23 V. Helgesson SWE 182
24 Muniz PUR 182
25-tie Hadford HUN 192
25-tie J. Lee TPE 192
25-tie Syken ISR 192

If the men's roster number stays the same (45 total), then the first group of 22 men would have the following 4 flights: 5-5-6-6 and include Chrolenko (NOR), who is ranked #180, and D. Ten (KAZ), #186. The second, or later, group of 23 men would have the following 4 flights: 5-6-6-6.

ISU world rankings as of Feb. 10, 2007 of the top 23 junior men as listed on the Jr. Worlds roster as of Feb. 21, 2007:
1 Chan CAN 19
2 Carriere USA 22
3 Reynolds CAN 30
4 Mura JPN 33
5 Voronov RUS 35
6 Guan CHN 38
7 Schultheiss SWE 42
8 Pfeifhofer SWI 49
9 Borodulin RUS 60
10 Mroz USA 64
11 Yang CHN 65
12 Tischendorf GER 67
(top 12 would draw for the final 2 SP groups)
-------------------------------------------
13 Lucine FRA 73
14 Machida JPN 82
15 Torii JPN 91
16 Halverson USA 95
17 Russell CAN 103
18 N. Fernandez AUS 106
19 Amodio FRA 133
20 Brezina CZE 138
21 Fabbri ITA 150
22 Gleichengauz RUS 150
23-tie Cieplucha POL 170*
23-tie Privalov AZE 170*

*(viii) in cases of ties in the World Standings there will be a separate draw between tied Competitors to decide the order of the main draw and (in cases of ties on the border of the parts or of the last 2 Groups) the part and the Groups these Competitors belong to;

Corrections are welcomed, and we'll have to see if the roster changes any further in the next couple of days re. numbers and ranked skaters.

emma

Record Breaker
Yes - thanks Sylvia for all of that info. I knew that there was no more qualifying in seniors, but I didn't stop t think about juniors. I wish I could watch junior worlds - there are so many great skaters on that list!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
there is no more qualifying at senior worlds? this is news to me. I am glad, beacue nobody ever skated well and it was really only a burden on the skaters performing three programs within a week. It was never televised and only hurt the skaters chances of wining if they didn't do well in the qualifying. remeber Michelle Kwan in 2005.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The QR also helped to do in Sasha Cohen in 2006. But Joannie Rochette did her best skating in the QR last year---she was in first place going into the SP. Unfortunately, both her SP and FS were rocky.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
thanks

thanks Sylvia, you are ALWAYS the most knowledge person we can count on!:clap: :clap: :clap:

May I ask you a question regarding how many spots of each nationa can get for next year's Jr. Worlds?

Let me be more specific. Do you know how high the Chinese team Li & Xu need to place in order to earn two or three spots for China next year? I knew they did not really care in the past two years since there's no credible team to send to Jr. worlds anyway. However, they definitely want two or three spots next years since Bin Yao has recruited three young pairs(incl. Li/Xu) on national team since last year's Olys.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Do you know how high the Chinese team Li & Xu need to place in order to earn two or three spots for China next year?
I learned most everything about skating via Skateweb ;) -- see:
http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/faq/rules.shtml#Q10
"For a 1-competitor team in the previous year, 1-2 points qualifies 3 entries, 3-10 points qualifies 2 entries and more than 10 points qualifies 1 entry."

Li & Xu look to me to be potential medal contendors based on what I saw in their Asian Games Senior SP (thanks for posting the youtube link).

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I wish I could watch junior worlds - there are so many great skaters on that list!
I posted in another thread in this forum that CN8 (the U.S. regional cable network) is currently scheduled to air two (2-hour?) shows well after the event on Sunday, March 11 and Sunday, May 6 (7-9? pm Eastern).

Russia's RTR Sport channel had very good coverage of 2006 Junior Worlds that I was able to watch online last year, but it's not yet known if they will have any coverage this year. Hopefully there will be comprehensive Japanese TV coverage again, and maybe, if we're lucky, some coverage from other European or Asian TV channels so we diehard fans can watch clips of the top finishers in each discipline.

Back on topic... all 16 pairs teams will compete in both SP & FS, and all the dance teams will compete in the CD and OD with the top 24 teams advancing to the FD.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
I learned most everything about skating via Skateweb ;) -- see:
http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/faq/rules.shtml#Q10
"For a 1-competitor team in the previous year, 1-2 points qualifies 3 entries, 3-10 points qualifies 2 entries and more than 10 points qualifies 1 entry."

Li & Xu look to me to be potential medal contendors based on what I saw in their Asian Games Senior SP (thanks for posting the youtube link).

Sorry for my ignorance. How does this point-system work? Ist place = 1 point, 2nd place = 2 points, ..., am I right?

Thanks Sylvia, as usual coming to the rescue. I think I got it. In Part II, l2 places are reserved for the 'elite' and the TV tape plus 14 others (not ready for TV). Nagasu will be in the first groups totalling 27 and this will be her initial appearance for int'l competition.

One question, why can not another country enter more than l skater?

Aside: After all the talk of Halverson and Russel, they didn't qualify for the 'elite' and some strange names listed did. I guess that has to do with those little competitions we never talk about.

Joe

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Russia's RTR Sport channel had very good coverage of 2006 Junior Worlds that I was able to watch online last year, but it's not yet known if they will have any coverage this year.

They won't. There is no mention of Junior Worlds in their TV schedule.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
How does this point-system work? Ist place = 1 point, 2nd place = 2 points, ..., am I right?
Yes.

I think I got it. In Part II, l2 places are reserved for the 'elite' and the TV tape plus 14 others (not ready for TV). Nagasu will be in the first groups totalling 27 and this will be her initial appearance for int'l competition.
If the 53 ladies entries stay at that number, the first SP group of ISU-unranked skaters (Nagasu the the rest) will total 26 ladies, and then the 2nd SP group of ISU-ranked ladies will total 27, with the top 12 ranked ladies drawing among themselves to skate in the final 2 flights of the SP.

One question, why can not another country enter more than l skater?
53 ladies is not enough already?! ;)

Aside: After all the talk of Halverson and Russel, they didn't qualify for the 'elite' and some strange names listed did. I guess that has to do with those little competitions we never talk about.
It has to do with the current ISU ranking system that counts up to 3 seasons worth of international competitions and weights certain competitions more than others. For example, Eliot Halverson won 2 bronze medals on the JGP this season but didn't qualify for the JGP Final, which is worth a LOT of ranking points.

Link to the ISU site's section on their world rankings system which includes the document titled "Explanation of Criteria" (info on points per event, calculation of points, etc.): http://www.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/page/directory/0,10853,4844-130267-131575-nav-list,00.html

Last edited: