Help - best technique | Golden Skate

Help - best technique

gio

Medalist
I need help! I would like to do a collage video tape or CD of skating elements. But I don't know where to start. :frown: So I need your help. Please can you tell me who does one element perfectly, so I can include it in my collage. For example I'm sure I'll include Midori Ito for the triple axel, but for the other triples I'm unsure who could I include. I'll include the same element done by a male and then by a female skater. So for example wich female skater and which male skater does the best triple lutz...

Thanks

Last edited:
Johnny Weir's triple axel (before recent events). He had flow in, 3 air rotations, travel in space, perfect landing, and flow out.

Peggy Fleming's or Dorothy Hamil's single axels with flow in and out but only a one and a half rotation. However, the rotations were delayed while in the air. One doesn't see that anymore with CoP.

Stephane Lambiel's quad toe triple toe. Gorgeous flow in and out, stretched take offs and landings. Perfect tecnique.

Denise Bielman's or Alissa Czisney's Bielman spins.

Disregard the above, if you are looking for height in the jump. Height has nothing to do with technique, it is a gift of nature.

Joe

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Brian Boitano's Tano Lutz.

Shizuka Arakawa's Ina Bauer, and the lovely 3/2/2 she did at the Olympics.

Jeffrey Buttle's Ina Bauers and camel spins.

Carolina Kostner's spirals.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
The couple (forgot/not sure on their names) that does the mirror step sequence naturally because they spin opposite. Any part of there programme compared to others might be interesting.

Kurt Browning's foot work is in a class by it's self.

Ina and John have the best entrance to a death-spiral and great possition IMO. But no one has said anything either way so I could be off on technique.

Irina doesn't drop her leg and hip when going into the donut spin (definitely in 05 CoR) and could be compared to just about anyone else on how they enter it.

Sasha's flying splitz jump / flying Russian eagle - or Rory Flack's:agree:

MK's Falling leaf.

That series of Flying Camels Johnny did at the Nats exhibition was pretty cool IMO. I think that is the most consecutive I remember seeing from a singles skater.

What Joe is saying about the delay in the Axel would be cool to show too IMO.

I don't know what your agenda is, But some hydro-gliding from Elvis or Shae-Lynn?

Soft landings from Fumie, choreography or artistic expression? Death drop?

Laybacks from Mirai or Caroline.

Spin centering from Alissa, Stephane Lambiel or Lucinda Ruh - Lucinda also has a FANTASTIC Beillmann spin. Her position is more impressive IMO than Denise's.

Midori's Jumps were pretty high I believe, and Plushy's might be comparable height wise??

I like Carolina's stoking - power, but I don't think her posture ranks up there. Sarah M has great posture IMO.

Last edited:

enlight78

Medalist
Johnny Weir's triple axel (before recent events). He had flow in, 3 air rotations, travel in space, perfect landing, and flow out.

Peggy Fleming's or Dorothy Hamil's single axels with flow in and out but only a one and a half rotation. However, the rotations were delayed while in the air. One doesn't see that anymore with CoP.

Joe

do you believe a delayed double axel should have the same worth as a triple axel like in pairs with a split douple twist vs. triple twist in pairs.

Spiral, fan spiral, Russian split, Y spin, layback spin, and spread eagle - Sasha. ETA: Also Charlotte.

Darn, I meant I-spin as I'm sure everyone realized.

Men's spread eagle & Ina Bauer - Jeff

Fast footwork and flying camel - Yags

Triple axel and one-handed Biellmann - Mao

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Sasha can pretty much do anything the best. I would have to give her the spiral and the spread eagle.

Michelle Kwan the reverse directio camel, and the sit spin

Yagudin's footwork

Timmy's Quad

Plushy's quad triple double

Shen and Zhao's throws

Pang and Tong's triple twist

do you believe a delayed double axel should have the same worth as a triple axel like in pairs with a split douple twist vs. triple twist in pairs.
Of course not. That was the point of my last sentence. The Caller sees Axel and it is completed. It will get the base value and a +1. Why bother if one can do a 3A and even miss it for more points?

The base values in CoP are not geared for variation. Only the GoE may add on a bit. So a skater must plan a program to suit the CoP more than a program of beauty.

Joe

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Tonya Harding did a triple lutz that was just amazing.
For a classic layback, Dorothy Hamill's or Angela Nikodinov's are gorgeous.
I loved Janet Lynn's one foot axel and double axel. They were very lovely.
Yagudin did some great death drops and so did Brian B.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Sit Spin: Michelle Kwan

What??

Come on now - i love michelle to the high heavens but best sit spin?? The back sit was a particualr problem spin for michelle and wasn't as low as her front sit, which wasn't as low as a lot of skaters at the elite level get...choose pretty much any other element except the sit!

Ant

But it was the prettiest. Straight back, well centered, just exquisite.

Same with her spiral. Sure, you can get out your protractor and ask if someone else has more degrees of split, but meh? It's how she looked doing it! :love:

Come to think of it, there is also her "heart" layback.

And her Y-spin. (Someone already mentioned her split jump.)

:)

gio

Medalist
Thank you guys for all the examples. :clap:

What about the other triples (salchow, toe loop, loop and flip)? Any suggestion? And the camel spin?
For the triple lutz I'll choose Boitano and Tonya or Shizuka. What do you think?

Last edited:

gio

Medalist
Disregard the above, if you are looking for height in the jump. Height has nothing to do with technique, it is a gift of nature.

Joe

Yes, I'm looking more to include jumps with perfect technique, more than height. So,Joe, if you have some suggestions for the other triples, feel free to tell me! :) ;)

ranjake

Final Flight
i always loved todd eldredge's triple axel. it always impressed me...and seemed under-rated. i thought his were gorgeous.

flying camel

Medalist
Boitano - He had the best triple lutz & Salchow in the world.

Kerrigan - She had the best triple lutz & Flip for the women. Remember how she could delay the jump before rotating.

Trenary - She had the best triple salchow for the ladies.

Debbie Thomas - I thought she had the best triple loop on the ladies side. She made that jump look so beautiful.

Layback - Sarah Hughes, Sasha Cohen, Angela Nikodinov

Spirals - Kwan, & Sasha were in a league of their own.

Spins- Ladies Lucinda Ruh, Alissa Czisny
Men - Todd Eldredge

Yes, I'm looking more to include jumps with perfect technique, more than height. So,Joe, if you have some suggestions for the other triples, feel free to tell me! :) ;)
Some skaters do flips (dbl or trpl) and cross their ankles while in the air which gives the jump a ballet-like move. A split salchow (also 2s, 3s) can be quite exciting A series of falling leaves with an ending into an axel. These are just esthetics and more than likely not worth the extra GoEs they would get considering the danger.

Joe

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I would like to hear DORISLI...... (sp) take on throws in pairs. She had some informative POVs on this a while back. Very enlightening for me anyway, regarding techniques used by different pairs. Kicks by the men during the throw, etc....

I would wonder about using old achival video for this type of project unless it was used more in the "then and now" sense. Like Peggy has a great layback, check out her home page - it was obviously one of her strengths, and could show after, how the layback is now (and you would need someone good for it is superb position of Peggy's, http://www.peggyfleming.net/ ). The Delays in Jumps, etc....