Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Plushy's Return

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar

Plushy's Return

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/breaking...438232,00.html

How do you think this will affect the rise of young skaters that are coming up now. do you think that Plushenko will be a world force like he was before the olympics? I know that he was often overmarked, and if the judges do this agian, it will hurt Evan's Johnny's as well as skaters like the Japanese and Buttle from becoming major conndendors of world gold. I doubt highly if he can stay competive through 2010,, i don't know how old he is, but he did have a few stammina issues recently, and three more years of hardcore training migt not be what he baragined for.

Personally, i belive that Plushenko will come back and find the skating scene quite diffrent than he lef it. IMO Joubert will try extra hard to get the world title this year, bacause next year he willl be back to being the ubderdog to plushenko. The japanese, even without a quad, can cerainly challange pluchenko becasue of thier edges, spins and great foot work and POE from theier triples. Plusenko might not realize it's not as much fun as he remebered.

Why not? It will give the Russian Federation two possible wins (Dance and Mens). Unless Plush needs money, I don't think he wants to skate for the rest of his life.

Joe

Who knows? He might have to prove himself against the memory of his past performances. Sometimes it's easier to be more critical after a break where the judges have had some distance from the hype.

The break from competition has given his body well deserved rest. It's not as though he has been off ice - he has done shows.

I just hope that he does some a program that's not front loaded.

I don't really think he was overmarked. I think he will still get about the same results, unless something has really changed in his skating since he left.

Don't know how I feel about his. On the one hand, I think he has achieved everything he can in eligible career, and has nowhere to go but down from here. On the other hand, I think Plushenko is like Michelle in that he lives for competition, touring and such just doesn't have the same appeal to him.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka View Post
    On the other hand, I think Plushenko is like Michelle in that he lives for competition, touring and such just doesn't have the same appeal to him.
    Plus, I think he wants to outdo Yagudin. Or at the very least win one more World Championsip and TIE him.

~Z

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuranthium View Post
    Plus, I think he wants to outdo Yagudin. Or at the very least win one more World Championsip and TIE him. ~Z
    Well, in his place with the impressive list of gold medals from ALL major competitions (= Europeans, Worlds and Olympics), I would not see one more World title as something of importance. To outdo Yagudin, LOL? That definetely is no reason for Plushenko´s return, because he already has done it by having won both Olympic silver and gold medal. Besides, Plushenko has won Europeans 5 times against Yagudin´s three gold medals.

I think that Plushenko just is a competitor who wants to compete and not to retire for doing show skating only. I wonder how his health will be? My especial wish for him is to get a proper choreographer...
    Last edited by Jaana; 02-26-2007 at 02:39 AM.

One thing that Plushenko has over Yagudin is a Russian National Title IIRC. Alexei never did win that one. Then again...It's obcenely late, painkillers are kicking and the brain is quickly heading to mush category...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    My especial wish for him is to get a proper choreographer...
    From your lips to the SkateGods above!! I like Evgeny and I respect what he's brought to the sport on the tech side, but he could be so much more if he had a proper choreographer.

Custom Title
    Am I the only one, who appreciate his technical ability but find him rather irritating somehow ?

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Oh gosh, no. Keep reading - GS is full of Plush-critics! But there are also fans to keep discussion lively.

ETA: Maybe you could be more specific - irritating how? What exactly do you find irritating?

I say if he wants to go for it then he should. I just hope that the judges star giving him appropriate PCS scores not like the joke scores they gave him Torino.

I like others think he should find himself a good choreograhper and get those flapping arms under control. Less frenetic footwork sequence that llok like he's having spasms and more edge control and style.

Ant

Tripping on the Podium
    Then again, if you think about it, Yagudin always said he didn't care about the Russian Nationals being his or no. And there's always that little itching fact for Plushenko that he never beat Yagudin at an Olympics; he won after the man had retired.

Plushenko is actually younger than you might think; if he wanted to, I'm sure he could last until 2010. At this point, regardless of criticisms, he can be considered the best eligible male skater. He will come back and continue his streak, if he really has continued training in the year he's taken off.

It is true that many of the skaters have improved this year, so he'll definately have competition. However, I don't find it's fair to say he ruins other's chances to win. Joubert has beaten him fair and square in competition; if the others put up a good skate, they should be able to do the same. (If they can get those quads...)

Absolutely, it is not fair to say he ruins the chances of others. It's his life and he should do what he wants to do.

My only question about all this, is whether he wants to continue skating competitively? or is he being pushed into it? If he has a real desire to continue in the eligible skating field, that's all that matters. I'm all for what he wants.

Joe

Custom Title

Plushy's Return

Big Deal,

No you aren't the only one who finds Plushenko irritating. I, too, appreciate his technical abilities but I'm not a fan.

Dizzy

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    My only question about all this, is whether he wants to continue skating competitively? or is he being pushed into it?
    I don't think he is pushed into anything. None of the other Olympic champions are coming back after all. I think he is just genuinely bored without competition, without the rush, the thrill, and the adrenoline that comes with it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast