Practice Reports(Caroline & Mirai etc) | Golden Skate

Practice Reports(Caroline & Mirai etc)

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
I got Eislauffan from FSU's permission to publish her(his??) practice reports here, hope all of you enjoy!!

Day 1, Feb 25, 2007

I just watched the two US Ladies Caroline Zhang and Mirai Nagasu. Ashley Wagner didn't practice. Caroline and Mirai both did a complete run-through of their programs. Unforuntately, I was late, but others told me that Caroline made no mistake. Mirai had a strong practice as well, she just fell on the last 3Lz right at the end of her program and stumbled on a 3R-2R combo. She even tried a 3A later in the practice but it didn't look like it's going to happen now. Anyway, both girls left a strong impression. Caroline was running around the rink with her skates on after the practice.

A duel between Caroline and Mirai? Watch this very neat preview clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl8LtldHwDQ

Day 2, again thanks to Eislauffan
Just a few impressions!

- Caroline Zhang had another great practice, clean run-through of her FP
- Patrick Chan looked good, too
- Sergei Voronov had some trouble with his 3A but later did a beautiful 3A-3T
- McLaughlin/Brubaker looked strong except for her 2A
- The "cutest boy" award goes either to Denis Ten (KZK) or Min-Seok Kim (KOR). They are tiny and look almost like twins! Denis even has a 3-3
- Adrian Schultheiss landed 4T. But he told me that he is still bothered by a back injury
- Philipp Tischendorf got here just 10 min before the practice as his train was delayed. But he did quite well.

Other news of the day:
Apparently Irina Shtork's (ice dance/EST) luggage is lost and has not yet arrived. :
Yup, Caroline Zhang!! Hopefully the pressure is now off of her since Mirai is now considered the favourite.

Last edited:

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
That montage is so cute and they both look great and are very evenly matched. Thanks for the link.

emma

Record Breaker
Wow - somehow I missed the youtube link when I first read the practice report -- anway, really cool montage - they could 'pass' for each other easily. Good luck to them both!!!!!

Kati

On the Ice
This was a very funny video... They were like two Energizer bunnies running on the ice, saying, "Everything you can do, I can do - better...!" Of course, they weren't, but the video cuts made them look like that! It will be very interesting to see them skate at the Junior Worlds this week!

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Best montage IMO yet!:rock:

Note that the song "Linus and Lucy" was not "technically" that song to start. It was called "Cast Your Fate to the Wind" and "re-done" into what most of us know as "Linus and Lucy." After winning a Grammy for "Cast Your Fate to the Wind" it was over heard on the radio by Lee Mendelson looking for a song for the upcoming special. He contacted Vince Guaraldi, and Vince made slight changes, now it is history.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Sean--not doubting you, but if he used that title for what became "Linus and Lucy", he re-used it for a DRAMATICALLY different piece not long thereafter. I have George Winston playing Guaraldi and "Cast Your Fate to the Wind" is a soft, melodic, very smooth jazz piece, as opposed to "Linus and Lucy". Possibly you might be thinking that they just were familiar with Guaraldi through "Cast Your Fate..."

Anyone heard anything on men's practices?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
^ This is all very trivial, but thought some might find it interesting. I have not heard George's that I recall - unless it was playing in the background when i was in HighSchool setting up the stage, that is about the only time I recall willfully listening to George. ;) George slowing something down????Shocker:laugh: :agree:

Here is some info about the "goings down" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vince_Guaraldi.

I have heard both and do agree it is a much different sounding song yet it sounded to me (and the persons who originally pointed it out to me) like the melody is plucked straight from "Cast Your Fate to the Wind". Most desirably a "re-written" song by any case. It is like Tori Amos live. I know "Little Earthquakes" but she always seems to manipulate the intro in a show where you don't recognize it at first, slower, different time sig, etc...but once you hear it you know it is the same song with variation. Vince greatly changed the song, but it is evident when listening where it came from. I don't think he cared if the connection was made between the "new cartoon song" and his grammy award winner. It is just like a jazz improvisation session following a melody / head.

Yes different, but more of an "evolution via contract" IMO then to write a whole NEW song.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
Eislauffan reported at FSU that Stephen Carriere had some trouble in practice on Monday and that Brandon Mroz had a good FS run-through.

Can you ask Eislauffan's permission to copy his(her) practice reports here. She(he) did grant me permission in the past several days.

Thanks, Sylvia.

chipso1

Rinkside
Can you ask Eislauffan's permission to copy his(her) practice reports here. She(he) did grant me permission in the past several days.

Thanks, Sylvia.

Maybe it's because he/she doesn't want their reports spread around anymore geisha/tonyamorin/iloveaxel...

;)