Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Meissner on Top of the World

Down With It

Post Meissner on Top of the World

http://www.examiner.com/a-583144~Mei...the_world.html

Meissner took time from her Foundations of Technology class Thursday to help promote the re-launch of “PRIDE: Maryland Public Schools,” a campaign partnership between the Maryland State Department of Education and Comcast that recognizes the accomplishments of those involved in Maryland’s public schools system.

Meissner’s accomplishments have already been recognized on a global scale, but her latest focus is on graduating from Fallston.

“It’s so great,” she said of closing in on commencement. “But it’s going to be sad. The last couple months have been flying by.”

Having won her first U.S. Figure Skating title last month, Meissner, who only attends class in the mornings, has lately missed more time that usual.

[snip]

...[H]er focus is back to landing the triple axel — a risky, but rewarding jump if done cleanly.

She’s currently testing out the jump while breaking in new skates, which she typically does every six months.

[snip]

“...I’m actually not that nervous about [the World championships],” Meissner said. “I felt a lot of pressure at nationals, and I was a little nervous in the last program. Now that it’s over with, it’s much better.”

I think she's in great shape with respect to mental preparation. She is not the favorite for Worlds despite being the defending champion, and she has already achieved a laudable goal in winning the U.S. championship.

All she has to do is show up, skate, and see what happens.

Down With It
    She may not be THE favorite, but is she A favorite regardless?

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    She’s currently testing out the jump while breaking in new skates, which she typically does every six months.

every six months?? isn't that ofen to be getting new boots? I don't know if getting new boots right before worlds is the best idea, she should be training everything hard core right now, not trying to re-learn and ajust to new skates.

wish her the best. she knows she's not the favorite, even though she is the reinging champion. She knows that the japanese at home are ready to take over.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    She may not be THE favorite, but is she A favorite regardless?
    Not quite. Mao Asada is the overwhelming favorite to win in her home country. There can only be one favorite in a race. However, there can be many challengers for that glory.

Miki Ando, Yukari Nakano YuNa and Kimmie are challenging her for the win. As is Sara Meier, Carolina Kostner, Joannie Rochette, Emily Hughes, Alissa Czisney.

It's a very heated contest with Mao in the lead so far (by consensus), and with all those other talented ladies, it's hard to think of most likely to be on the podium.

Joe

Custom Title
    I agree that the challengers are Miki Ando, YuNa and Kimmie but Yukari Nakano, Sarah Meier, Carolina Kostner, Joannie Rochette, Emily Hughes and Alissa Czisny are only potential top-10 finishers. I don't see any of them challenging for the win or even a medal.

Down With It
    ^ Agreed. Although this was not intended to be a Worlds preview thread I love GS and its thread tangents

But since we're in it, I'm gonna say that Ando is not a favorite...she's a DARK HORSE. The three favorites are MAO, YU-NA and KIMMIE. the Dark horses are Carolina, Miki, Joannie. Everyone else is simply a contender. And Czisny will have to be at her tops to crack the top 10.

I think Ando is right in the thick of it. At Skate America she beat Meissner by 15 points and Asada by 21 (and Meier and Hughes by even more). At Eric Bompard, she was a little off her game but still beat Meissner and Rochette both by more than 15 points.

Custom Title
    Since SA, Miki hasn't skated at the same level. And then there's the shoulder problem. She has twice dislocated her shoulder, the last time during the FS at the GPF, which puts her at risk for dislocating her shoulder every time she spins or jumps. Angela Nikodinov had the same problem and she had to stop skating altogether and have surgery. She was out of competition for more than a year and a half.

Down With It
    Back to the article...This is a nice picture of Kimmie BTW

http://www.examiner.com/ShowPhoto.cf...0on%20Thursday.

Definitely looks more "grown up" there.

Let's see what she achieves at this year's worlds. Suppose she defies all odds and wins AGAIN. That would be huge.

I just went to the Subway web site and told them how much I liked their Kimmie ads.

Banned

Kimmie and Evan

I want both Kimmie and Evan on the worlds podiums simply because both of them are irrationally hated by some freaks.

I like Kimmie, but my favourite is Mao, so ideally I'd like:
    1. Mao
    2. Kim
    3. Kimmie

I am not particularly into men's discipline, I sort of like Brian, but not totally attached to him, so Evan & Brian in top two, whichever order is fine with me. Just to drive those Evan haters nuts, my preferred order is:
    1. Evan
    2. Brian
    3. Jeffrey(if he lands three As, otherwise somebody else, i don't care)

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by iloveaxel View Post
    I want both Kimmie and Evan on the worlds podiums simply because both of them are irrationally hated by some freaks.

I like Kimmie, but my favourite is Mao, so ideally I'd like:
    1. Mao
    2. Kim
    3. Kimmie
    who hates Kimmie??

Medalist
    You apparently haven't been reading over at FSU or GGMB.

Custom Title
    I personally don't see Rochette or Kostner as even dark horses, considering their failures and inconsistencies going back to Torino, especially Kostner. Yes, she is beautiful in a "Bambi" sort of way, but it's like she lands her jumps on a crate of eggs. Wouldn't mind her proving me wrong, though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast