Meissner on Top of the World | Golden Skate

Meissner on Top of the World

R.D.

Record Breaker
http://www.examiner.com/a-583144~Meissner_on_top_of_the_world.html

Meissner took time from her Foundations of Technology class Thursday to help promote the re-launch of “PRIDE: Maryland Public Schools,” a campaign partnership between the Maryland State Department of Education and Comcast that recognizes the accomplishments of those involved in Maryland’s public schools system.

Meissner’s accomplishments have already been recognized on a global scale, but her latest focus is on graduating from Fallston.

“It’s so great,” she said of closing in on commencement. “But it’s going to be sad. The last couple months have been flying by.”

Having won her first U.S. Figure Skating title last month, Meissner, who only attends class in the mornings, has lately missed more time that usual.

[snip]

...[H]er focus is back to landing the triple axel — a risky, but rewarding jump if done cleanly.

She’s currently testing out the jump while breaking in new skates, which she typically does every six months.

[snip]

“...I’m actually not that nervous about [the World championships],” Meissner said. “I felt a lot of pressure at nationals, and I was a little nervous in the last program. Now that it’s over with, it’s much better.”

I think she's in great shape with respect to mental preparation. She is not the favorite for Worlds despite being the defending champion, and she has already achieved a laudable goal in winning the U.S. championship.

All she has to do is show up, skate, and see what happens.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
She’s currently testing out the jump while breaking in new skates, which she typically does every six months.

every six months?? isn't that ofen to be getting new boots? I don't know if getting new boots right before worlds is the best idea, she should be training everything hard core right now, not trying to re-learn and ajust to new skates.

wish her the best. she knows she's not the favorite, even though she is the reinging champion. She knows that the japanese at home are ready to take over.

She may not be THE favorite, but is she A favorite regardless?
Not quite. Mao Asada is the overwhelming favorite to win in her home country. There can only be one favorite in a race. However, there can be many challengers for that glory.

Miki Ando, Yukari Nakano YuNa and Kimmie are challenging her for the win. As is Sara Meier, Carolina Kostner, Joannie Rochette, Emily Hughes, Alissa Czisney.

It's a very heated contest with Mao in the lead so far (by consensus), and with all those other talented ladies, it's hard to think of most likely to be on the podium.

Joe

euterpe

Medalist
I agree that the challengers are Miki Ando, YuNa and Kimmie but Yukari Nakano, Sarah Meier, Carolina Kostner, Joannie Rochette, Emily Hughes and Alissa Czisny are only potential top-10 finishers. I don't see any of them challenging for the win or even a medal.

R.D.

Record Breaker
^ Agreed. Although this was not intended to be a Worlds preview thread :laugh: I love GS and its thread tangents :rofl:

But since we're in it, I'm gonna say that Ando is not a favorite...she's a DARK HORSE. The three favorites are MAO, YU-NA and KIMMIE. the Dark horses are Carolina, Miki, Joannie. Everyone else is simply a contender. And Czisny will have to be at her tops to crack the top 10.

I think Ando is right in the thick of it. At Skate America she beat Meissner by 15 points and Asada by 21 (and Meier and Hughes by even more). At Eric Bompard, she was a little off her game but still beat Meissner and Rochette both by more than 15 points.

euterpe

Medalist
Since SA, Miki hasn't skated at the same level. And then there's the shoulder problem. She has twice dislocated her shoulder, the last time during the FS at the GPF, which puts her at risk for dislocating her shoulder every time she spins or jumps. Angela Nikodinov had the same problem and she had to stop skating altogether and have surgery. She was out of competition for more than a year and a half.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
Kimmie and Evan

I want both Kimmie and Evan on the worlds podiums simply because both of them are irrationally hated by some freaks.

I like Kimmie, but my favourite is Mao, so ideally I'd like:
1. Mao
2. Kim
3. Kimmie

I am not particularly into men's discipline, I sort of like Brian, but not totally attached to him, so Evan & Brian in top two, whichever order is fine with me. Just to drive those Evan haters nuts, my preferred order is:
1. Evan
2. Brian
3. Jeffrey(if he lands three As, otherwise somebody else, i don't care)

R.D.

Record Breaker
I want both Kimmie and Evan on the worlds podiums simply because both of them are irrationally hated by some freaks.

I like Kimmie, but my favourite is Mao, so ideally I'd like:
1. Mao
2. Kim
3. Kimmie

who hates Kimmie?? :confused:

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
I personally don't see Rochette or Kostner as even dark horses, considering their failures and inconsistencies going back to Torino, especially Kostner. Yes, she is beautiful in a "Bambi" sort of way, but it's like she lands her jumps on a crate of eggs. Wouldn't mind her proving me wrong, though.

The photo of Kimmie shows her to be quite the woman.

She was an underdog in Calgary.

Miki Ando is a challenger and in the mix for the win or podium in Tokyo.

Kiri Korpi is a dark horse in Tokyo and not expected to win or podium.

None of this is really important but hey it gives us something to do while waiting for the Big One.

Joe

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
She may not be THE favorite, but is she A favorite regardless?

It seems this was totally misunderstood. ITA RD! She is "A" (meaning a favorite out of a group of favorites making her one of the favorites, i.e. "A" favorite.) How could she not be? People on a large basis want to see her skate well and place in the top 3 at the very least.

I must admit she is looking very nice in that picture. Turning woman with all kinds of grace for sure.:love: Wow is she continually getting prettier!

Funny how she said she was away but still knew what was going on. Either that's High School for you or she was doing a little studying while she was away. ?

Seanibu - I understand what you are saying about favorites. But you are a sportsman like me and if we went to the track to watch the horses, you know that there is only one favorite and the odds show it. There are other horses with a good chance to win but their odds would be greater.

Mao 2-1 The favorite
Yuna - 3-1
Miki - 4-1
Kimmie - 5-1
Carolina - 6-1

The rest of the field I would put at 10-1 but hey, I'm not expert in givin odds.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'd give Ando and Meissner the same odds, actually. I just don't know what to expect from Ando these days. 4-1 for both. I agree with Asada and Kim as the two front runners.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
^ Joe, you know I really do love how you don't miss a thing.:thumbsup: :bow: How did you....what made you think...nice job.:)

This is however very semantical as well as the use of words (or letter) indicated a "thought process prior" to the statement that immediately indicates that the person has not reserved themselves to fist place being the only place to watch for. To state "Thee" would say "there is one for the first place" to say "a" would say it is in anticipation of some performances where there is the notion of a number of .."

I know (think) that you are not one who only reserves yourself in a "first is the only" type of mentality, just think there were 2 different ways it was looked at by you and RD.

So you did say you understood so I don't really know why I just wrote that, but I too see your point. Mao is the clear favorite in betting terms or if there is only one favorite or regarding gold only. And sorry if it sounded negative, not meant that way. Just that I wanted to say I am more thinking along the lines of having a few Favorites. That and I TRY not to think of skaters from a betting standpoint (even though I do love to "gamble") cuz I have a tendency to lose most times I bett on someone, and would hate to "jinx" any of these wonderful ladies.:laugh:

I'm not expert in givin odds.
Me either...

JMO, I would have Miki at 5-1 with constancy in consideration. Kimmie I would put at 3-1 because a 5-1 pay-out is too much of a pay-out on a reining world champion. Just from the "SeaniBu bookie" standpoint.

My favorite for this is going to be Kimmie, but she is not my favorite to win. And if she is at 5-1 (which she could be - above is just my booking via comfort, not wanting to lose so much cash if I was taking the betts) I would be very tempted to throw a lot of cash down on Kimmie for that is a great pay-out if betting on 2 and 3 placement or just for #1. That is big money either way(s)!

Last edited: